Register now to get rid of these ads!

new or junkyard electric fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retiredblue, Nov 8, 2010.

1. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

OK Boys going to the junk yard this week need to know which electric fan to pull (if I can find any American Cars) for my 64 Falcon with a 302 (3core brass rad)- I have heard ToRUS(sp?) or am I better off with a new 2700 CFM fan? Thanks for ur opinion-Vic

2. toddc

toddc

I definitely prefer O.E. junkyard fans over aftermarket. They generally are quieter, move more air, and draw less current.

Look for fans with metal shrouds that best fit the space available. A good shroud will make all the difference.

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. shocker998md

shocker998md

the mark 7's fans flow very good. And sometimes you can get them for dirt cheap, and since there not too old theres plenty in yards.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Mark VII fans are also very large and won't fit in a lot of cars,I had to sell the one I had because of that.The other problem is they draw a lot of Amps you need at least a 100+ amp alternator.The MKVII's had a 130 Amp and a 160 Amp option from the factory.The fan I refered to above will fit the Falcon radiator as it is the same size as the early Mustang in the article.

6. Muttley

Muttley

Whats wrong with the stock mechanical fan?

7. shocker998md

shocker998md

sorry I was in newer buick mode for a minute. Alot of the turbo buick guys use the mark 7 fans. I kinda spat it out with out thinking about his application.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why buy a junk yard fan? I learned a long time ago, when it comes to steering, brakes and cooling buy the best. Buy a Spal fan, it will flat out blow your hat off. Bought a Spal once and it had Italian writing on it, called Spal to ask about it and the Rep. said Spal is not a POS. Thats why they use them on Ferrari's.

9. 26 roadster

26 roadster

16" new $33.50 at white"s in Kingsport, Tn, see ebay

10. RAY With

RAY With

Most after market fans are junk however there are a couple of good one's out there but pricey. late model cars have the better constructed fans in my opinion and I would try to locate one that fit my needs.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I like stock metal fans, with a nice shroud. If there's room, use a fan clutch as well.

12. Jimv

Jimv

better off with new, there usually slimmer, move more air & look better.I've used both & i had to cut my junkyard fan to work & it still left a opening at the bottom.a good "s" shaped fan blade with really keep the temp down.
    jimV

13. shainerman

shainerman

I have literally bought over 20 junkyard electrics and they are always worth every penny. I am a fan of Taurus fans, lincoln fans, basically any 90's Ford. Cheap, plentiful, and flow good.

14. Dan

Dan

I am in the same boat with my '40 chevy p/u would love to go mech. but dont think I can make it work...
    Do the 90's ford fans you like push or pull through the radiator?
    How do wire one up to be thermostatically controlled?
    thanks-

15. shainerman

shainerman

Depends on how they are wired if you want it to push or pull. Thats why the fords are nice. There is a company that makes an AWESOME control box for the Taurus fan Ive ran on a lot of off road vehicles. If I can find it ill post it for you guys. The ones ive used are actually dual fans, you can mount vertically if you would like 93-96 Taurus with the 3.8 motor in it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. shainerman

shainerman

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've yet to see a junkyard fan thats as slim or looks better then a Spal. If you don't care about looks, go the junkyard route. Never use a pusher it only restricts airflow.

18. I believe it's called, take a tape measure, measure what space you have, write it down, then take the paper and the tape measure with you and start opening hoods. When you find the biggest one that will fit, buy that one.

19. I agree......Plus if you compare their CFM to most other fans of the same size Spal usually blows the competition away (Pun intended)

20. I was having issues trying to mount a mechanical fan on my '38 Coupe. Had the wife's old Fiero sitting in the driveway ... popped the hood, measured a bit ... I took the fan, the wiring, and the relay from the Fiero and installed it several years ago, still in the Coupe and still works great.

To be honest, I prefer a mechanical fan ... in this case I just couldn't fit one in.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I like my 350 HP fan
    and its cool how it doesnt have any wires, relays, switches or the motor itself to go bad and leave you stranded..
    only thing i need is a spare fan belt, and a running mill..what tuns the fan blades powers my ride..KISS

I try my damdest to engineer out the use of electric fans..
    think of all that can fail on an electric cooling fan system

1. The fan itself electric motor
    2. wires
    3. relay..or multiple relays
    4. switch
    5 thermostatic switch
    6. fuses

^^ why would most people rely on such a conviluted system when if your engine is the source of the heat, why not make it the driver of the fan blades?...Just my deflated 2 cents

22. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I got the stock mech fan in my 62 galaxie w/390 10 to 1 comp pistons,mild cam,headers etc.Has never overheated since i rebuilt the engine in 06.

23. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

This is why i havent switched to a e-fan on my toy but to answer the OP question, most of the 302 powered mustang (thats what i deal with most) guys use the mark 8 fans when they can get them and Taurus fans when they cant. there is a company call DC controls link that sells the fan controller that they all swear by. make sure that you have at least a 130 amp alt to drive everything.

24. Slorolnlow

Slorolnlow
    from Florida

Early 90s Taurus works well for me.Cheap,dependable and easy to fit.Its a two speed fan,I only use the low speed with a 40 amp relay turned on by a sensor.Pulls about 30 amps on start up and settles at 22 amps running,so no need for high output alternator.I could not see the need to use the high speed.Mine cools a 489 bbc stroker in a Model A with a smaller radiator.Good set up for a daily driven hot rod.

25. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

In my pontiac powered studebaker case, an engine driven fan would be above the level of the hood by about 3". I had no choice but to go electric.

Ran dual 10" aftermarket fans for a while, didnt cut the mustard.

I parted a 91 Taurus, and that damn fan is amazing. Over 4000 cfm in "hi", and about 1/2 that in "lo" (mine had two power wires and one ground, one wire for each mode). Heat problem is pretty much solved now.

I did do something dumb, which was place it on the workbench and tested it with a 12v battery. Little did I know it had the polarity reversed - it took off, hovered in midair for a split second, then tried to come after me. Little bastard earned my respect fairly quickly.

26. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I use a Spal pusher, works great.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I stand corrected, at least for some situations I suppose its not even an option, I should have mentioned that in my soap box rant:D

I have seen many times where space is not the issue , some just buy the package deal and run with it. some even remove a perfectly good system and replace it with the electronic alternative, and that is something i will never understand.

sometimes it is a band aid for a system not right

28. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

No room here had to go with my setup..It works great on a 105 day the temp went to 200 deg not bad.

Attached Files:

29. evintho

evintho

Here's one nobody mentioned that's fairly compact and sucks a ton of air. Don't know the cfm but it's alot! Came off a supercharged '90 Thunderbird SuperCoupe. There's 4 of 'em at the local Pick-n-Pull right now! It measures about 18" square and 4" deep. It's a 2-speed fan. I have it wired through an 80a relay on my turbo'd 4-cyl Mustang. It runs on a toggle switch. On a 100* day with the fan off, water temp heads into the 240* range, flip the switch and it drops to 190* in 60 seconds and stays there! Best part is I snagged it on half price day for $12.50!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Kustom Leatherworks

Kustom Leatherworks
    from Milwaukee