Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help, Lowering a 1954 Chevy 3100 Front End.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low50s, May 24, 2010.

1. dan sutton

dan sutton

Are the front springs held together with a bolt, besides the leaf clamps?

2. low50s

low50s

I got the engine/trans mounted in the truck I am having some issues with the steering setup of the truck but I think that I may have it figured out, I was running into the issue of the SBC hitting the factory steering box. with the lowering of the front axle I removed every other leif. It gave me about a 2-3" drop up front, for the cost of about $5 (new bolts to hold it togeather) I know you can buy a droped axle from sids but he said when i first contacted him he was 8-10wks out plus I was trying to do the truck on a budget so that was out of the question. Speedway Motors also makes drop springs for the front of the AD trucks they are about $350 but again I was trying to do this on a budget so that was out of the question.

I also thought of the same thing you were thinking about doing something air suspension to lift the front end up and here is what I thought, with removing every other leif the front suspension is soft, (hopefuly a good set of shocks will help a tad) but i thought about you could build bolt on brackets to the lower axle itself and then have a spring mounted infront of the droped axle if you wanted the front end up you could air it up. and vise virsa (almost like a rear helper bag setup on a HD truck) I thought that might work plus you could buy some cheepie bags because they wouldnt support the whole vehical for long.

Anything lower than that you must use a drop axle from SIDS or switch over to a modern style suspension (ex. s10) swap and then you can get all sorts of dropped goodies for the front, and use a simple linksystem in the rear.

3. low50s

low50s

yes they are, once you move the axle you were see a indent where the bolt also holds the axle into place ( you will most likely have to cut the bolt as it will be very rusty

4. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

If you guys are on a budget I'll work with you guys. I'll trade axle cores for the dropping of a axle. I'm not as far behind as I was.

5. low50s

low50s

What's the cost?

6. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

How ever we work a trade. You can call me 405-416-3080

7. bigtony55

bigtony55
    from Washington

Nice pics

8. bigtony55

bigtony55
    from Washington

Can i buy a 3" drop axle for a 49 outright and pay you for the core?

9. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

PM sent

10. jaxrunner

jaxrunner

I am going need (2) 4" drop axle's for 52 & 53 chevy 3100's. Santa wants a price... and i have the core's.

11. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

It seems like a flipped axle would leave like about 2 inches or less to bottom out.
    There use to be a great thread on dropping your own axle, might be worth a search.
    Another option I have heard of but never done, is a whole suspension from an early 70s Chevy pickup. It all just bolts to the frame except you have to fab the steering box mount. Then you have disc brakes, easy to find parts and later on you can buy dropped spindles if you want to go lower.

12. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

I sent you a PM

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Also with half the leafs removed and a V8, that truck will be banging on the stops with every little bump. Do it right and get the dropped axle.

14. Grounded4Life

Grounded4Life
    from Central CA

Tmoney, do your tires hit the fender when you turn?

15. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rather than start a new thread I thought Id ask here. So my options for a safe way to lower an AD truck is lowered spring (Speedway) or a dropped axle from Sid? If I have understood that correctly what's the pro and cons of each. From what I understand will need to bend the steering arms if I go the dropped axle?

16. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys, in the end called Sid and he has me sorted with EVERYTHING I need to do the job. Seems like a really nice guy. Just second guessing myself now re only a 3" drop.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  17. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah

Give us an update, Pete...
    Did you go 3", or 4"?
    Happy with the choice?
    What did you do for springs?

Others are facing the same choice.

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Resurrecting an old thread as I'm about to drop the front of my '51 AD using a Sid axle drop. Question: why change the tie rod and drag links? Is it to swap to the updated style rod ends? Are the originals considered too sloppy by today's standards?

19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Updated rod end are to allow you to change mounting point to correct steering
    angle. Sid's web site has a good explanation of this.

Also keep in mind that these axles have some drop from the factory- a 3 or 4
    inch dropped axle is not 3 or 4 more inches.

And dropped springs do not account for the sag that old springs have either.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Gotcha. Thanks for that.

Not sure I understand the bolded part. Can you explain further?

I assume that when I get my "3-inch drop" axle back from Sid, that the truck will sit about 3 inches lower than it does now. Yes?

21. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

With a 3" dropped axle you get 3" of drop from where it sets now. Go to my web site www.droppedaxles.com then got to my tech articles page. I have a tech article there on lowering a Chevy. There you will see how we flip the tie rods to the bottom side of steering arms. This lowers them to keep them under the springs.

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Thanks, guys. I went ahead and ordered everything needed from Sid's Nostalgia. Sweatheart of a guy. I ordered a 4-inch drop for my axle, new kingpins, new tie rod and steering arm with the newer style rod ends. I converted the wheel bearings to modern tapered rollers and replaced the front brakes, cylinders and all new hardware. Got it all done in a weekend, now she handles great, no more sloppy front end. And the stance is way better. Not a fan of the nose-high look. lol. Here she is.....

[​IMG]

Studebakermatt and 55 Mercury like this.