Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum Pontiac valley cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Anyone ever see one? Any pics? Who made it?

2. The only one that I know was Moon and they stop offering one several years ago.

Good luck at the flea markets or e-gay

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I SEEN ONE ONCE (but missed it .. by that much) WITH DEEP FINN'S ... WAS AN OLD MICKET THOMPSON.

SURE WISH I WOULDA BID MORE :(

4. Sounds expensive. How high did you see it go?

5. SimonSez

SimonSez

6. SimonSez

SimonSez

Damn - never was any good at reading comprehension :)

BJR likes this.
  7. Heres just a few. Lots of people making them lately. Pontiac has come ito its own lately. You can build any Pontiac engine size with all the kits out nowadays. Stay away from Rock and Roll Engineering!!!! Nothing but bad news with this company. All the Pontiac sites out there know about this company and thier reputation. Bruce Fulper is the owner and the problem.Jim Butler Performance is A+ in service and customer relations as is Pacific Performance( Ace Brewer). Also Kens Speed and Machine also can get these valley pans and is also one great guy. He runs an 8 second Radial tire stock suspension 1976 TA. Hope this helps.

http://pacificperformanceracing.com/Page1.html
    http://www.allpontiac.com/
    http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/

8. where's the valley pan/cover?

9. I saw a beautiful finned one on Ebay once. Went way out of my price range.

10. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

11. I know this post is old as dirt, but here's my .02 cents. I have a large collection of old Poncho speed stuff and happen to own the Moon cover that was mentioned. It is the only finned aluminum one that I am familiar with. The Moon part number was VC35. The fins are deep and the cover sits high. Perfect for injection set-ups like Algon or Hilborn and some Edelbrock, Weiand, and Offy 6x2s. I see problems with any set-ups using the heat crossover.
    Maybe if Moon gets enough requests they'll reproduce it.
    If anyone is interested in this old ass post I'll take some pictures of my NOS unit and put them up here as soon as I figure out my camera-computer interface stuff.

Erik
    WARLORDS C.C.

Deuces and Jermm like this.
  12. Jermm

Jermm

I know your post is 13 years old now but I’d like the see all the cool stuff you got if your still around

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Warlord was last here in 2011

14. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I recently installed a plain one that I got from Butler performance. It doesn't have any fins and the boss for the PCV isn't drilled out, fine for my application.

I got the cast aluminum pan because I have had problems with the stock sheet metal pans warping when I overtightened the bolts. I know that I am correcting a problem that I caused. The cast pan is much more ridged.

I found that the casting is not properly centered and that caused the valley pan to interfere with the intake manifold flange on the right side. I had to remove a considerable amount of aluminum for it to clear the flange especially around the water connection at the front. I wasn't aware of the coolant crossover issue at first and as a result I had a massive coolant leak.

It also fouled on the heat crossover near the cylinder head on both sides. I am using an Offenhauser dual quad intake and tried two of them with the same result.

I'm not sure if a stock factory (or any other) manifold will fit without spending a bunch of quality time with a die grinder.

I am not currently using roller lifters but the folks at Butler tell me that this cover will clear roller lifters.

I did get the valley pan installed using GM sealant and no gasket as recommended by Butler. So far, no issues.

As far as appearance goes, well, only the front inch or so is visible when the intake is on so don't get all carried away polishing the whole thing.

After finally getting the pan to fit I didn't feel like taking it off again to pretty it up and so I left it as cast.

Anyway, this is my experience from a couple of months ago.

Budget36 likes this.
  15. Anderson

Anderson

I’ve had that problem with an aftermarket manifold hitting a stock sheetmetal valley cover before. Probably similar thickness with a cork gasket. And not sure if my block and heads have both been surfaced or not, but probably a factor.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    '51 Norm likes this.