Register now to get rid of these ads!

ABS Power Brakes can't get it right.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Nov 2, 2010.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just some FYI for you guys.

Got a customers '62 tbird in the shop. Rather than rebuild the stock front brakes and put in a new master cylinder we decided to do discs up front and a new power booster/master cylinder combo for disc/drum. We ended up ordering from ABS Power Brake Inc. on Sep. 27th. I very specifically asked if the kit would fit with the stock 14" steel wheels. I was assured it would.

About a week later got the package. Discs went on right, brackets seemed ok. Then the calipers didn't fit. Call number one. New calipers on the way. Wouldn't give me the number for them so I could just grab them at the local parts house.

So while we wait for the calipers we go to put the master cylinder and booster on. Wrong one there as well. Call number two. and three. and four. As they struggle to figure out what one I need. Then they get it on the way.

About a week after call one, the new calipers arrive. They fit the brackets. But then the wheels won't fit. Call five. Oh we sent the wrong kit. We'll get the right one out to you. Then I get a call the next day to verify which one I need. I have to call them back. Now it's supposedly on the way.

A few days after that the right master cylinder/booster actually shows.

About a week after call six we get the new kit. There is a bolt on the bracket the interferes with the caliper sitting right. But even without that bolt in the wheels don't fit. Not a height issue but the calipers hit the back of the wheels.

I give up, I want the money back and have lost a lot of hours to this bullshit. They don't want to talk refund. They want to make it right. But a months worth of lost labor and headache seems to have proven that they can't won't make it right. Hell I could have bought the customer some 15's and saved money at this point.

So if you're thinking about a brake kit, don't think ABS Power Brake. Go elsewhere.

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

This is the kind of feedback we need with regard to quality of product and customer support from a supplier. Thank you, ZMAN! DD

3. Gator

Gator

That sucks.

If you paid by credit card you can always return it and file a dispute - I've had very good results doing that.

Good luck.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Called the bank about it. They're looking into it. I told them if we need to treat it as fraud that's fine. They fraudulently sent me the wrong stuff. I'm just so pissed about it at this point. I wanted to get the customer back driving their car and what should have been 2 weeks max turned into over a month and running.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

6. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I feel your pain.

7. ryno

ryno

you should box all that shit up and send it to a HAMB'er that's at SEMA. have them hand return that shit in their booth, with a big fuck you!
    i wish i was at SEMA this year , cause id love to do it myself.

8. Weasel

Weasel

They 'rebuilt' the original wheel cylinders for my Hupp a dozen years ago - all four failed when I installed them, leaked like a sieve and pedal to the floor - took 'em back - failed again, took 'em back again threw them on the counter and said fix them. They failed again. I went and bought Ford wheel cylinders and adapted them. I learned a long time ago never to deal with these rank amateurs.

9. chevymike

chevymike

Yep, had a buddy use on of their "systems" on a '67 Chevelle and nothing but problems. They kept sending "right" or "fixed" parts yet continued to have problems. We yanked it all off and replaced it all with Baer brakes (I know, not HAMB friendly) and haven't had an issue since.

ABS Power Brakes company sucks!!! Good luck on getting your refund.

10. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

I've not dealt with them, but I have had similar experiences with another vendor. In my instance, I ended up telling them that an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of hammers couldnt make the shit fit. Nothing like taking the die grinder to brand new shit in order to make it fit. Fuckers.

11. Thanks for the heads up and sorry about your troubles.

12. GreggAz

GreggAz

sounds similar to our problems with SSBC.

13. redhumphries

redhumphries

Damn Zman I wish you had asked me before you bought that stuff. I have installed alot of disc brake kits on early ford and none of them will clear 14 inch wheels except the granada parts on an early mustang or falcon. Besides that Brake Tech Solutions is just around the corner from me and Anware is the owner he is also the engineer that was behind Master Power when they sold out and he will make you a disc brake kit for anything you need. He made a kit for a man that changed his 61 buick to 4 wheel disc and used stock spindles and stock rearend. Let me know if I can help RED

14. thanks for the info. had a problem like that with a power steering kit for a '50 FI from sacremento ford ended up redesigning the whole thing! bolt in, yea right!

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They

thanks Red, but they advertised it would, and confirmed it on the phone. They lied good. I was trying to get it done quickly with an already existing kit. I guess we need a longer leed time next.

16. Brian W

Brian W

I have had numerous experiences similar to this with ABS. The shop that I work at liked the electric brake system. The very first kit is the only one, out of many that have been installed, that doesn't have problems. We have gone round and round with Memo over there to get the product and instructions sent that match the "kit" and that will actually perform as they say it will. I'd say great concept with very poor execution, and customer service, on their part.

17. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I have had excellent luck with ABS. My only issue is that they seem to think that they are in the shipping business, they love to overcharge for shipping. When you order at any company they usually tell you shipping upfront. Not ABS you have to trust them, then you get the bill and its like 28 for somthing that would normally be 12. I recently purchased a residual valve, $15 when it came (they are 30 miles away) they charged $16 to ship it. I called and they told me thats what it is I told them I would never order from them again, they refunded the shipping. Last week I needed a master cylinder they carried, they would not quote shipping so they lost the sale. I ordered from cpp