Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So I found a 36 Ford for sale what do you guys think??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Nov 8, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

In my quest for cheap 35-36 parts to hopefully build a Westergard style 3 window (without any real coupe parts lol!) , I had a guy send me an email in regards to a wanted ad I had placed online, telling me he has a 36 Fordor and a phone # no other details. I finally remembered to call him a couple of weeks ago , hes retired and knows nothing about computers but told me he would see if a friend could take and e-mail me some pics of the car. I figured if I could get it cheap enough it would give me most of what I needed for my project. After I got the pics I called him back to ask more questions, here what he told me: Its a car that was sold new less than 50 miles from where I live, he even has the original 36 Nova Scotia title for it (a new current one is in his name) He is the 3rd owner but only second registered owner, he got it 20 yrs ago, bought a restored 55 Ford and never did anything with this car. The only parts missing are the top springs for the front seat and the complete rear seat springs, orig motor is still there and is not stuck, he said he did get it running when he first got the car, the pics are crappy but he told me there is no rot holes in the body and I think he might be right, he also has the rear mounted complete spare and all the original wheels . Original glass is still all in place (he did say there are some cracks though) Orig top insert is still in place, windshield still cranks out. He got the original bumpers re-chromed has a new headliner in the box as well as some misc new rubber stuff. He has offered it to me for $1,700. its a little more than I got right now but I think I could work it out somehow :D. Now solid old cars around here are not common , especially something this old and I cant stop thinking about it.... I am really attracted to the fact that its an almost complete orig local car . If I can get it I think I would prefer to leave it as a 4 door and make a nice driver...the customizer in me says chop it and make a 4 door Westergard custom, if its as good as it seems I probably could not cut it up to make my bastardized coupe, besides I have a line on a cheap stash of parts that will prolly give me enough to take on that project, so this long winded question is basically asking you guys what do you think and what might you do if you were in the same situation? Its about a 3.5 hr drive away to go look at it, I am gonna call him tomorrow and see if I can go Fri as I have the day off work. I cant believe I am excited about a 36 Fordor but I have NEVER had an old car that was so complete let alone original, everything I have ever had I built from incomplete junk, and I think thats what appeals to me, so what do ya think guys???

Heres the crappy pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NWRacing

NWRacing

Looks like a pretty sweet project to me!

3. dudley32

dudley32

4. olskool34

olskool34

What the hell, I'm in too. Go get it.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Price seems decent for a complete car with a title and a not-stuck engine. I'd bet money the "no holes in the body" won't turn out to be true (probably doesn't have shit for floors, look at how wide the door gap gets at the bottom on the driver's side)

So I think it's probably a good price for what it is, but there's no chance I'd call this one "too good to cut up". There seems to be shitloads of junk 35-36 2 door sedan bodies around cheap, if I got this thing I'd probably swap on the longer doors and door pillars and build a nice 2 door sedan.

I'd offer less, because it's my nature, but I'd go prepared to pay all $1700 if I really wanted one. Even if you ended up finding a coupe shell later on, this would be worth it just for all the good parts.

6. I'm sure it would part out for more than $1700 - that should be all you need to know.

7. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Okay here's my take, and it may be way off base....To me it sounds a little much but what do I know....If you want it, get it! For a four door it would be cool but when you figure all the money to get it where you want it to be...make sure it's the car you want....4 drs interior alone cost is not cheap...don't mean to bust the bubble....Like I said if your happy with it , go for it...It is a 36!:D

8. You need to go get it. In parts alone you have alot of high dollar stuff there and you could till you find a coupe body to cut apart. After seeing what you are building right now it would be easy for you too build it into a coupe if you wanted. I wish I could have started with something like that. My vote is get it and let the cutting begin.

9. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Hell!! Cut it up. Its not like its a complete unrestored orginal still prestine and like new. It's only Sheetmetal!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Buy it!!!!!!!!!!! Someone tell him about the incert bearing flatheads that were in some '36's, they are money makers for 32-35 owners.

11. flthd

flthd

Looks like a honey,I'd buy it, love them fordors.

12. Cshabang

Cshabang

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

I would say go for it, the grille if it's as good as the picture it's worth maybe 12 hundred. The wheels are very popular right could go for a good price. Lots of work here but as you say would make a cool Westergard custom. Good luck for get about a couple go for the sedan. Be different and cool............ :D

CRUISER :cool:

14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

15. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's fairly complete and has a set of rechromed bumpers. I know things are cheaper in the US than here, but it has to be worth every cent he is asking for.
    Michael

16. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

The front fenders and grille look to be pretty good. How does the cowl look? It almost looks like they cut the driver's side firewall for a battery box but it's hard to tell. How does the front window channel look behind the window frame? They like to rust out there.

If all that stuff is decent then you have half a coupe! You would need the longer sedan doors for a 3-window but you already know that.

I paid $1600 for my two-door sedan and have sold about $600 of it AND traded the 21-stud for a 59A, plus I still have all the fenders, and those look to be in WAY better shape than mine!

I'd say you would be in safe territory if you got it. If you want a 36 as bad as I do (haha!) then get it!!

17. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

I love 36 fordors,have two-go for it!

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

now why would you have to be told to buy ?

19. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

When you see it in person the question will answer itself.

20. ironpile

ironpile

21. toddc

toddc

If that thing were in Australia the price would be triple that. :eek:

Buy, and cut it up.

Coupe!Coupe!Coupe!Coupe!Coupe!Coupe!Coupe!Coupe!Coupe!Coupe!

22. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Ok this is a little different, but if I was all on 36 fords I would turn this one into a pickup. It would use the rear sedan fenders and a very custom built bed. It would kind of look like a 40-41 studebaker coupe express pick up when I would be done.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ya I agree about the gap between the doors, I am always very skeptical when some one tells me "no holes"...when I asked him about the floor he said there is surface rust, but no holes...and I do have a lead from a fellow Hamber that has a set of Tudor doors locally that he says are really nice, I dont think he will budge on $1700 but of coarse I will try !

So I think it's probably a good price for what it is, but there's no chance I'd call this one "too good to cut up". There seems to be shitloads of junk 35-36 2 door sedan bodies around cheap, if I got this thing I'd probably swap on the longer doors and door pillars and build a nice 2 door sedan.

I'd offer less, because it's my nature, but I'd go prepared to pay all $1700 if I really wanted one. Even if you ended up finding a coupe shell later on, this would be worth it just for all the good parts.[/QUOTE]

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Oh it has...I have been trying to gather 35/36 parts when I run across them and believe me to buy one a piece at a time is pretty pricey !

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Could someone add some more info to this? I really dont know shit about flatheads....

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

I know thats what I keep coming back to...lots of valuable parts there for my someday coupe...

27. Cool car and it never hurts to go look, hope it's as advertised.

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Oh I do want it bad lol, your build is a contributing factor lol ! I have a couple of firewalls already so fixing that one is no problem, is the 21 stud worth running or is a later flatty a prefered choice?

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't waste your time, I already bought it...

HAAA!!! No I didn't, but how'd that feel that you missed a good deal? Go get it. Too much value to let it sit there.