Register now to get rid of these ads!

Faux Pas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny b. badd, Nov 8, 2010.

1. johnny b. badd

johnny b. badd

Guys, I'm looking to build a cruiser built for 5. I also would like the versatility of a truck. Would it be in poor form to build a crew cab pu by meshing a pre 30 sedan with a pick-up bed? I found 2 '24 Caddy frames at a price that is reasonable and they would definitely cover the length. Has anyone done this? Can anyone photoshop a monstrosity like this? I'd like to go fenderless, chopped, and low. Thoughts?

thanks
    johnny b.

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well, it certainly wouldn't be traditional...but you already knew that. I can't envision it in my head, but if you have the cajones, and the need for such a beast, I personally wouldn't fault you.

3. dannyego

dannyego

I saw someting like that once built out of a model T roadster. Pretty sure it was in a mag. It looked pretty cool because it was well built and not thrown together. I still wouldn't have wasted my money building it

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Do you have any pics for reference?

When I think five person cruiser, I think mid-fifties Buick, late forties and up Caddy, Hudson, etc.

5. johnny b. badd

johnny b. badd

No pics for reference. Just looking at resources, wants, possibilities.............and how many more projects my wife will allow.

-johnny b.

6. henry29

henry29

There was a T sedan on a later model big truck frame, with a full size pickup bed at this years frog follies.
    I don't have a good pic, but its in the background of this one.

[​IMG]

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

This oughta fit the bill.
    munsters.jpg

8. Zerk

Zerk

It might be helpful to look at this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376688&highlight=truck+cars

You can see that folks have been building cars into trucks with varying success for quite a while. Some of them are hideous, some make you wonder how they can work so well for a design never intended to be.
    I personally paint a really wide line for tradition's sake. Not every build in the '40s and '50s was either a custom or hot rod. Lots of people built cars for lots of reasons. Cars, trucks, campers, made out of what was commonly available. So my vote is that this could be done in a HAMBworthy fashion.

What are you thinking about? Closed car? Big roadster pickup? Have you got anything besides the frames to work with?

9. Kinda like a Vicky with a pickup bed a 4 doors?

10. not sure quite how this one was formed, but you have to admit it does have both space and presence...

Attached Files:

11. johnny b. badd

johnny b. badd

That's the thought right now.

johnny b.

12. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Why not, it looks cool in my imagination...I'd like to see what you have in mind.

13. deto

deto

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Direct from the "most famous kustom" thread...ROFLMFAO!

15. Kustom Leatherworks

Kustom Leatherworks
    from Milwaukee

Thats strange, I'm building a reproduction beverly hillbillies car right now, so weird that it came up on here.

16. So you want the 1930 version of an Avalanche?

I would just get a tudor sedan of some sort and be done with it. Or a crew-cab truck. Come to think of it, I can sell you one of those.

In any case, I'd leave the Caddy frames for a restorer, you can make one just as easily out of box tubing.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Anybody working on a clone of the "Grapes of Wrath" car?:D

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Why don't you just build a wagon from '49 on?

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

That thing is HUGE! It sits just east of Cheyyene, on I-80

20. Zerk

Zerk

Frazer(?) body on Nash truck(?) lower body and frame. Very cool thing.