Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Question For the Brain Trust Here, I was talking to some racing folks at a movie party last night and the question came up.....What ever happened to the J2 that Red Foote drove? I didn't know, anyone know where it is or what happened to it? Denny Z

2. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I recently found this thread, IT IS AWESOME!!

Any close up pics of the slant six?

Thanks,
    Marty

3. weathrmn

weathrmn

In picture 7081, 168 is Pat Woglemuth.(not sure of spelling, but close) Don't know the 212

4. weathrmn

weathrmn

In picture 7082, the 95 is Hoop Schiable from Upper Black Eddy, Pa. That car exist today the way it was parked after he placed 2nd at Harmony Speedway, N.J. in early '70's

the next picture is at Flemington Speedway,N.J. The Piscopo 39 is Al Tasnady, I think Sammy Beavers in the sedan, and Hoop Schiable 95.

Flemington Speedway is no more, it's a Lowe's shopping center. Hurray for Paul Kuhl for his bone head idea of paving it. Should have ask the fans and racers what they wanted, not what he wanted. The result was clear to see at the first race of the paved season.

5. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Before you bash the promoter too much, I seem to recall reading an article in the 'Gater Racing News' a long time ago, that stated the EPA, as well as NJ air pollution regulations, were clamping down on the use of the chemicals that are commonly used to hold down the dust on dirt tracks. It was a long time ago, so my memory might not be 100% correct, but it think it came down to, "pave it or close it"....

6. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Dutch Hoag

Attached Files:

7. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by weathrmn [​IMG]
    .....Flemington Speedway is no more, it's a Lowe's shopping center. Hurray for Paul Kuhl for his bone head idea of paving it. Should have ask the fans and racers what they wanted, not what he wanted. The result was clear to see at the first race of the paved season.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    The EPA made it increasingly harder & harder to prepare an acceptable dirt surface for racing, especially a low dust surface. Add to that repeated complaints from the local hospital regarding dust generated by the speedway filtering inside the hospital, creating potentially unhealthy & unsanitary conditions made it, yes .. a pave it or close it situation.

8. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Ken, thanks for posting that. You've made me feel better, knowing that my memory is still in reasonable shape.....I think!!

9. weathrmn

weathrmn

The EPA was did clamp down on dirt tracks. The tracks couldn't use calcium any more. I heard dish detergent was even used.

However, Flemington was not the only track I went to. To keep short, East Windsor didn't have a dust problem( but a bunch of complaining neighbors ) They used a certain clay, plowed the track and compacted the surface with a Roller that packed the surface even tighter with a hydraulic motor/vibrator on the front roller. No dust problems there. Been to other tracks, they didn't have the problem like Flemington. I remember one time the dust was so bad that during the next week a commercial sweepers cleaned a lot of sand off the surface.

Yeah a lot of dust, but it came down to money. He saved on labor and cost of equipment to prepare the track.

10. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Been super busy at work..here's a few scans I got in of George Kent and some upstate NY Mods....

Actually George #26 battling with a New Englander Reggie Ruggiero in the Mario Fiore #44 at Pocono...as the headline reads George won the ROC that year...

[​IMG]

The Kent Clan in a familiar place

[​IMG]

George Kent #26 battling Greg Sacks in the Cal Smales #41 at Pocono (Kent drove for Smales as well)

[​IMG]

George and Ron with the ROC Trophy

[​IMG]

Billy Colton #22, Jerry Cook #38, George Kent #26, Doug Hewitt #52 and Roger Treichler #74 at Holland

[​IMG]

George Kent and Forest Planck

[​IMG]

George Kent #26, Doug Hewitt in the Black Beauty #52 and Jerry Cook near the end of his driving career in the Wayne Miller #24

[​IMG]

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Love those Danbury shots...

12. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

13. cgerm23

cgerm23

Anybody have names for these guys?Lakeville,mass circa '70.

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      240.1 KB
      Views:
    • 39.jpg
      39.jpg
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
    • 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
  14. cgerm23

cgerm23

Deke Astle, way back

15. yank28

yank28
    from monson,ma

The 16 might be Bobby Leach , that ran stafford in the 60s, It looks like it says Leach & Son on the hood.

16. jonker

jonker

I believe the Lakeville pictures are from 1974 at the SCHAEFER qualifier for Syracuse. The #39 is Jim Russell, a former John Richmond car. John is Jimmy's brother-in-law.

17. cgerm23

cgerm23

That's more info than I've had since I took the pic's,thx

18. cgerm23

cgerm23

Here are a cuouple of Deke Astle at Seekonk, not sure of the years. I saw him at the DAV and he wasn't sure either.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.