Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ...Roadster Reconsidered....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bgbdlinc, Nov 7, 2010.

1. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

Last May I bought this '29 Ford Roadster ('Coupester') sight unseen (ya, I know) from a guy north of Lake Superior, here in Ontario. It was traditional build using all original parts and built as much as possible using the Bishop/Tardel book. It had a few deficiencies that the owner was quite straight forward about (brakes, steering, ebrake, speedo, generator, etc). It has the following:
    '29 Ford frame and body, '51 truck flathead, '39 truck trans, '48 juice brakes, original Fenton intake (yay!) with 2X2's, a homemade 'Duval' windshield, swap meet gauges, headlights, repop taillights, Dodge Caravan bench seat, Model T gas tank, fabricated trunk lid, filled grille, upholstery, etc. The owner made a brave attempt at the windshield (sorta) but to me it was very unappealing and it had to go.
    I had lots of curb appeal. Here are a few pics on arrival day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sent it up the Oddball Kustoms, north-east of Toronto, for an assessment, certification, etc. The windshield was a problem for certification since it used Plexiglas (big no-no around here), the body slammed on the rear wishbones when travelling over bumps. From then on I haunted auction sites, parts sites, buy and sell sites, and scored loud and long.
    C.M. Hall headlights, '48 Ford dash (narrowed) with new gauges; windshield stanchions top to bottom, '54 Olds taillights (glass). Oddball did the rest with great care, creativity and tons of consultation and this is the result:

[​IMG]

Of course, I am thrilled. Our local group gets together for a brekkie once in a while and I/we had an 'unveiling' since everything had been literally secret and under wraps for 4 months. Here is a video showing much more of the car and a start up:

http://www.youtube.com/user/canadianrodder

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, some times you luck out - especially with a little help-enjoy the ride

3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Nice job, the changes look great! Anymore pictures of the after?

4. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...only got the one and the video so far.....more coming next week....

5. That's quite an improvement. I hope to see it on the road in person next spring!

6. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Nice changes. Are you going to make a top for it?

7. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...yup, but that's farther down the line....I found a set of metal top bows that need a ton of work....just takes time....

8. hscott

hscott

Nice look, like headlight & shock mount.

9. Looks like the cars built back in the day, nice job. Rob

10. Very nice Dave!:cool:

11. brady1929

brady1929

12. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

I was the parts chaser because I had an idea of what I wanted re: period looking pieces that were out of the ordinary. Stony Smith at Oddball Kustoms (oddballkustoms.com) worked his magic on the shock mounts and I think he is almost finished front turn signal brackets that are just as cool....

13. csclassics

csclassics

Nice improvements, looks GREAT!!!!!

14. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

15. thegarage

thegarage

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Can't say I care for the exhaust or the overall look at this point. No matter though it's yours so enjoy it.

17. The pipes make no sense to me but the rest of her looks pretty nice.