Register now to get rid of these ads!

The car nobody wanted...so I bought it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikey's Pinstriping, Nov 7, 2010.

1. I just bought this custom 54 Chevy custom 2 door wagon. I've known the car for 15 years and it was a daily driver until it was parked after the previous owner passed. It was an Austin legend owned by a legend.

It came up for sale and after many ridiculously low offers (some as low as $1000) I now own it. I got a good deal on it but I didn't steal it. I think people were scared of it but I've tackled worse and lived through it.

Yes, it needs bodywork (what kustom doesn't) and is showing signs of age but I just hated to see it go without a family.

So I now have it and will be doing some serious changes. I plan to use it in my striping biz and since I love sedan deliveries it will be converted into one. For driveability I have a good 305, brand new 700r and rear out of a Camaro. I plan on driving this car and need dependabilty.

It currently has a 235 with 2 rochesters, 3 speed, original tube and rear. The engine runs great but the carbs are not so good. I'll be selling all this stuff to make way for the V-8. Below are a few ideas from Flatfoot on HAMB photoshop.

Attached Files:

2. wild willey

wild willey

Very nice!!! Koolsville ride!!!

3. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

4. Cool...Looks like a fun project

5. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always liked sedan deliveries, looks gOOd, luck to you.

6. ravedodger

ravedodger

Nice car, but I'd keep the windows.

7. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I'm about to start a 53 wagon, I want to use it as my band gear hauler. Keep us posted, I'd like to watch thus build. Good luck!

8. 21tat

21tat

Ugly as hell. But cool!

9. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Not that you asked for my opinion but I think I'd keep the windows. The reason being, It's a very well done chop. normally when you see a wagon turned delivery it's because someone couldn't get the windows to line up after they chopped it.

10. RAY With

RAY With

Nice ride and I also love the old SD's and have the first Ford Courier produced in 1952. The second photo redo is great and that would be the one I would go for. Good luck on the rebuild.

11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Yeah,I'd keep the windows too.
    Are you going to stripe your hood louvers? We could conduct a pool to see how long it takes? Haa haa
    Sweet ride! I'm envious!

12. busch

busch

Nice find this will make a great sedan delivery for your stripping
    Good luck on the change over pics when you get them

13. flat34pu

flat34pu

nice ride, no mater which way you go, i had a '51 sedan delivery, they are cool.
    because the delivery dose not have seats, the dump in front of the seat you know where your feet would be, that becomes a secret compartment when you run the floor board up to the back of the front seat.
    i used mine to hold beer in ice.
    rich

14. dmw56

dmw56

Sweet wagon! I had a friend that had a 53 sedan delivery that he parked in about 1978, probably rotted away by now.

15. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

I would not fuck up that piece of Austin history by making it a delivery. That thing is killer the way it is. I understand wanting a V8 and reliability, but thats all I would do to it....my.02$

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to add my vote to not turning it into a delivery. Maybe some super dark tint on the back windows so that you can paint your logo on them and keep prying eyes from looking in the back but other then the drive train changes I'd pretty well leave it alone and I can't seem to leave much of anything alone.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very kool!! as a thought, once you have picked out the new color contact one of the companies that apply advertising wraps, like on city bus windows, etc and have them make up some solid, or even with your logo, ones. That way you would have some of the look of a sedan delivery, but the visibility from inside like a station wagon. I know that is not "traditional", but is more on the practical side and saves a lot of work and puts your ride to work sooner.

18. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Well you know what they say, "Let mikey do it". Looks like you are setr to do it. good luck, nice score.

19. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

That car represented the previous owners business for 20+ years and did not have any logos painted on it. But every time you saw him cruising around in it, it reminded you to stop by for lunch.

20. Thats an awesome car. I would have bought that too if it looked like the first picture with red trim.

21. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First, thanks for saving an old Custom.

Second, since you are sharing your ideas, I'll share mine: keep the windows. Wagons are cool.

Whatever you do, looking forward to seeing your progress.

22. I agree with losing the windows. I like the "delivery look" much better.

Hugh M (couple posts down below this one) nailed it ... he said exactly what I was thinking, I just couldn't find the right word for it ... it looks "ambulancey" with all those windows.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  23. MODELA30

MODELA30

keep the windows!!!!! Knuck from Indiana.

24. Mr Ford, he did have his "Texacalli cafe" logo on there because I painted them on the back windows 15 years ago. They were later done in decals.

Good advice on the windows. I may stay with them and tint. I already have 2 deliveries anyway. Thanks to all of you for the positive thoughts.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Word... I agree... I think the more you do to a car like that, the more you lose it. Keep the windows... Americans don't make sense on any level... what's wrong with the six?

26. wvenfield

wvenfield

I was going to suggest leaving the 6, the windows and really, most all of it but I figured someone would think I was being a dick.

I can understand though wanting to make it your own based upon what the locals on here say about it.

I'd do any repairs, paint it something to make it mine and letter the windows as noted this car once had.

That's a very cool car, I can't understand the reason nobody was interested.

{edit} upon another look, I would swap out the steering wheel.

27. dsr_54

dsr_54

I like it no matter how you build it. I my self would keep the windows and the inline six.

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a sharp ride , good job and save of a shweet ride

29. Okay...Ryan and all you Austin - ites, you are right I should keep the 6 and the winders. And as for the red and white, I hate RED!! My next door neighbor asked me if it was an ambulance.

I wondered why nobody bought the thing too since it was an Austin fixture for years and a damn cool ride with lots of custom stuff done. I guess I would be killing that legend if I screwed with it too much.

I'm not American...I'm French and German...I don't know whether to kiss ya or kill ya.

But I will change the rims and tires for sure. Want to go with steels, 54 caps, rings and maybe 2" whites.