Register now to get rid of these ads!

cycle style fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aircoup, Nov 4, 2010.

1. aircoup

aircoup

is anyone running cycle style fenders on theyre open wheeled cars,? if so lets see some pics please:)

2. aircoup

aircoup

ok how about cycle style on the front of your open wheeled cars?

3. J.C. Witney fenders from late 60's

[​IMG]

4. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Im pretty sure flyinBrian is running on his fordilac

5. Ice man

Ice man

I put them on (fenders required) LOL. They lasted 3 weeks on the front, the roads are so bad here that they shook off and fell on the road one morning, on the way to the P Office. Got no fenders now on the front and no one has said a word, and no plans to put them on. Iceman

Attached Files:

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

open wheeled with fenders ? No way .

7. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This car was built in 1956

8. aircoup

aircoup

i think theyre cool in a traditional sort a way

9. aircoup

aircoup

Thats all ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

10. F&J

F&J

Here in my area, all hot rods had to have them back in the 60s when I was a kid.

I guess that's why I am still trying to mock some up on my build, because it looks "wrong" in "my" memory without fenders. Well, I can always take them off if everyone hates it :)

11. DrJ

DrJ

The mounting bracket(s) have to be more substantial than the fender.

I made some for my truck years ago but a 16 year old girl drove over one with an Astro Van in the parking lot at Frisco's Diner, and I haven't finished fixing it.
    (It's only been about 15 years...)
    I made the brackets out of 1/2" diameter rod but I'm running a very light weight epoxy/fiberglass fender I made using a trailer fender for the mold.
    I think a steel trailer type fender may be way too heavy for any cantilever type bracket to hold up.
    I laid up the glass fender on the outside of the steel fender so the hard to finish inside would already be smooth and finished with a tinted surface coat.
    I don't think polyester/ glass would be strong enough until it was too thick and heavy to work.

I have a '36 Ford spare tire cover in the garage for the next fenders I make.
    (No, its not for sale.)

12. pitman

pitman

Try DOM 5/8" tubing w/.125" wall makes a perfect close fitting bracket w/ 1/4" steel spindle mount tabs. Make ONE continuous tube "bracket" that bends down around the top front-lower front-lower rear spindle holes. Then the two end "ears" extend outward at 90*, over the tire at 12 o-clock and 3 o-clock.(Looking at the Left front tire face)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was taking the photo of the engine but the fenders have been on the car since it was built [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spare tire covers for front cycle fenders and bobbed rear fenders was pretty much the order of the day for guys in areas where you had to have fenders on your rods or else.

14. Fenders

Fenders

X2, cycle fenders (often made from spare tire covers) are REAL trad !!

15. Thompson Speed Shop

Thompson Speed Shop

I hope these help. I personally love the cycle fender look on any traditional highboy. The front fenders were cut from 36 Ford spare tire rings, and the rears I made because I was running a 7.50 x 16 tire. If you are running 6.00's on all 4 corners you can get away with all 36 ford rings; which in my opinion is really hot and a lot easier. I no longer have the 5 window, but still have the fenders. My plans are to run them on a 30 A roadster.

Attached Files:

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the near future, my truck will get fenders. I've been collecting pix of them for over a year now. The older styles made to cover bias ply should be a snap, but something wider seems to be a lot harder. My favorite, believe it or not, is the Prowler front fender for wider tires. They fit close to the tire and have a great bracket. I'd like something like that on the front and rear of my truck.

I spoke with a fellow at Garlits awhile back about his fenders... given how long he has owned his car, he was on his third "upgrade" - the brackets kept cracking. Seems to be the hardest part to get right. Reading this thread with interest... Gary

PS seems I recall at least two other threads requesting fender pix / ideas

17. freebird101

freebird101

I have always liked the look of cycle fenders

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx for the pix / update... but a couple more images much closer up would be great. No rush, just when ever you can. Gary

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The brackets on the green roadster I posted are massive. They are probably 1/2 inch thick by maybe one inch wide.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or you can tell them to stick it, 'cause it is your rod.

I like them, and am planning on putting them on my next A build. I grew up in the East(CT) too, and I remember them.

21. pitman

pitman

Gary, Here's the pics to illustrate.

Attached Files:

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And thanx... Gary

23. F&J

F&J

..speaking of wider spare tire ring; I watched a friends older brother build a rod in the mid 60s.

I am positive he cut the ring down the center of the raised bead and put in a 1" strip of sheetmetal. I don't recall if it looked out of proportion or if it looked strange.

24. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

'36 Ford spare tire covers, I think. Rear ones were widened.

Attached Files:

25. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

We're supposed to run fenders by law over here so,I'm in the process of making a set for my '29 rpu.
    Started with trailer mud guards,narrowed and shortened.
    [​IMG]
    Made the braces from flat bar and added fake rivets for detail.
    [​IMG]
    They mount to two threaded bungs welded to each back plate.
    [​IMG]
    Still need to add reinforcement to the undersides of the fenders.The mounting brackets are currently bolted to the fenders but these will be replaced with rivets.

Tim and foolthrottle like this.
  26. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent work Marc. I always liked em! If I ever build a highboy there on.

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LIke these?

Attached Files:

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sure do, Brian, as my rears will also have to be attached to the axle like yours aparently are. Gary

29. Phil1934

Phil1934

Attached Files:

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Phil,
    I'm VERY happy to see these.. thanx for the post. They look a lot like some glass fenders I had made arrangements to get from a guy on the English NSRA site, but he stopped corresponding with me about them and I never got a quote or shipping estimate. This is great. Thanx again, Gary