Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cavalier rack question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigThree, Nov 4, 2010.

1. BigThree

BigThree

Looking into putting R&P on my car with the engine swap for better clearence. The popular choice is the '84-90 Cavalier and Sunbird racks. But the '82-83 is a different part number but is the same center take off rack as the '84-90.

Anybody know the difference or what the iput shaft splines are?? Can't find the info anywhere.

And I'm going manual rack, not power.

2. rickkane

rickkane

I wanted a manual rack on my car too. We had to go with the Sunbird rack because we couldnt find a Cavalier rack that wasnt power..

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The rack input shaft is a metric version of a 3/4 double d. A few years ago, you had to get a GM Intermediate Shaft because there was no other option. I think there is aftermarket support now. Back then the Intermediate Shaft, which is about 6" long and has the rack's small double D on one end and a normal 3/4 double D on the other end, was over $100. Gene

4. Had to look at what ride you had. I started with the chevy Cav rack but didint like the pan to frame clearance issues the tierods are in front of the rack bad place.
    I used a 05 pontiac GP rack its a tierods in the rack all I did was center the rack and extend the tierods. I also used another drivers side knockel on the passagers side as there flat and saves issues with the tierods being strate and even. If you go to my album I have some pics of my rack and newer brake master. Bob ps my swade yellow 52 ply runs around your area now sold it to a guy in town there. it has lil hussy on the trunk.

5. BigThree

BigThree

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Gene,
    Is there a difference in the input on Power and Manual racks? I've read the input is 5/8"x36 spline or 17mm Double D but doesn't specify power or manual.

Rick, the rack you got out of a sunbird is the same as a Cavalier if you didn't already know that. Buick Skyhawks and Oldsmobile Firenza also had the same part numbers as the Cavalier.

6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yep.......all "J" bodies.

7. BigThree

BigThree

So I also got a steering column from a '67 Chevy truck to replace mine. What is the size and splines on those? The business end, not the steering wheel side.

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Bigthree,
    The rack I used was a power unit and it was the small DD. I have not looked at a non-power rack. Gene

9. Domino

Domino

I have a Cavalier rack in my Galaxie. It is a power unit and the input shaft was definitely 17mm.

[​IMG]

10. BigThree

BigThree

Right on guys thanks.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a remaned manual unit. Either yards around me didn't have it or ones farther away said they "probably" had one. So when it shows up I'll post what size it has.