Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mystery Flathead Ford V8 Heads - Can Anybody I.D???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mart3406, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

The Emisul motor was V8-60 based. These are for a 24 Stud. Wayno

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

...well there goes my theory out the window!!:D:eek:

does anyone else see "france" there??...or is that me as well?:p

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I see what you mean, could also say "spark". would make more sense to me being dual plug and all.

Attached Files:

4. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Another possibility would be Tattersfield. Bob Tattersfield's enterprise was named "Electric & Carburetor Engineering Co.". I have no idea what their logo looked like. It's definitely is an early 24 stud design. Most likely prior to WWII. None of the partial air cooled designs did real well or we would have run into more of them.

Kerby

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

pretty sure all tattersfield stuffed was cast as such. Electric and carburetor Engineering co. seemed like a catalog name...

[​IMG]

6. Yes! But they were Curtis-Wright radials. :rolleyes:

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hhmm rotorwench, I'm looking deeper into the tattersfield history. I see mention of his parent company listed as "E&CEC" his early products were designed by thickstun. Anybody know off hand if that's a thickstun manifold......... btw, they started before wwii

also the car the engine is in is a 32 ford. Bob tattersfield happened to own and use a 32 roadster a test mule along with the shop truck and the bellytank.

8. oso

oso

fellas it may not be as much fun as brainstorming, an always instructive enterprise to be sure, but why don't you e-mail the magazine it came from and ask. It would be good to talk to others who share your interests, and I believe google has a way of translating from english to portuguese, babblefish or something similar. just a thought oso

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Then what would I do all day??:D:rolleyes:

265 X 0.125 likes this.
  10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Simca did step up to the bigger v-8s in the early 50s though!

11. Ancient Rodder

Ancient Rodder

The Brazilian Bloggers post regarding the heads leads to the website for Fuel Magazine in Australia. I looked at the past issues thet are listed when you log on and could not find any thing. Whether there is a connection there or not I couldn't determine. The poster for Fuel Magazine is one of their writers, some one may be able to track him down? Interesting for sure.

12. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Luke from fuel mag is a good friend of mine, he is FUEL01 on here.. I'll see if he has contacts for the Brazillian guy.

13. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Revkev6, In some information I ran across there was a bit about how they removed some form of covers from the heads and changed them to some degree just before the war started and of course before Tommy Thickstun died. I've seen flathead covers before but they were usually to cover up cast iron. This was before the brochures posted on here were printed too. That manifold shure looks like a Thickstun as well.

I don't know, might be chasing my tail. There were so many different aftermarket parts comeing out in the pre war years. Like those funky bronze Federal Mogul cylinder heads.

Kerby

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

kerby, I read just the opposite about the thickstun covers. from what I read thickstun started his own speed equipment company which was "merged" with tattersfield's company. after thickstun died (at 34) tattersfield revamped the heads to make them cheaper. Said he removed the covers and added fins to make them look better without the covers. Later when he got baron involved they produced the popup piston version.

I hear you on the number of speed parts though! the strange thing to me about these particular heads is that they were cast without the fins, then a cutter was used to make them. that's alot more machine work than any other head I've seen out there!

15. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

How about E&S cylinder heads? I've heard of them but never seen any. Anyone have any pics of those?

Many of the twin plug designs were geared toward boat engines. They always had to use exotic ignition systems like the Nash set up or dual magneto drives like an aircraft engine. That alone puts them into a "rare" catagory.

Kerby

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

the more I look at the pic the more it looks like a three letter logo starting with E then a T with a bar that extends over the top of the E. the entire logo appears wedge shaped. the E is smaller at the bottom than the top. it's looking vaguely familiar now that I think of it in that light.

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

That is what I am seeing a multi letter logo in a wedge shape. :eek: this shit is driving me nuts.........:D

18. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am very surprised that know one has come up with the answer of what these are as of yet. Might this be to much for the HAMB ?................stay tuned ........same HAMB channel............same HAMB time.....to see if our heros will chime in with the answer to this mysterious RIDDLE. :D

19. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

There are some good threads on here about rare flathead heads already but the only manufacturer that shows a logo on the water neck is Fenton but they are obvious. The E&S are the only ones that I haven't seen a picture of that were mentioned in previous threads. ELCO made boat stuff so they had dual plug heads but the only ones I've seen pictures of have that ELCO logo in the middle of the head.

Definitely a good mystery.

Kerby

20. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Heres a set of E&S Racing heads without the water log on top installed...

Somebody should run this picture by Speedy Bill. His input would be valuable IMO...

Attached Files:

21. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I was on there site trying to search the flat head engines but found nothing resembling these heads or the logo on them. But I would definitely think he would be one of the guys that may know what these heads are.

22. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Bump for weekend crew..?

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

24. Maybe they did, but the Emi Sul was still based on the V8-60

[​IMG]
    Sorry im on the job, and couldnt find a better picture.
    Lars

25. crash11049

crash11049

Bump for the weekend

26. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Bump again....for the late night-early morning crew

27. reefer

reefer

I knew I had seen that picture before and have just gone through a full set of Hop Ups,Rolls and Pleats and the Don Montgomery books...at last (litrally the last book) it is on page 72 of Hot Rod Scrap Book by Don Montgomery....but sorry to say, the caption asks what make are these?

28. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

reefer, I knew I'd seen that photo before!

I was thinking E&S as well, or Elco, due to the apparent "E" on the water neck.

Speedy Bill needs to see the photo and report back.

29. anybody know anyhting? very interesting

30. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Well,
    I do not know who made them, But I want a set.....LOL......Looking at how these heads have been machined....I would say they were a one off set done by a old race engine builder.....I doubt they were done by any of the production names that have been metioned....believe it or not there were lots of guys who made there own one off parts back in the day.....(some planned to produce their parts but it never happened) I have seen some really cool one off intakes, quickchanges etc...They done it because they all had their own ideas of what would make them go faster, It was not like today where everyone just gets out the calalog and orders the same thing his buddy is running....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010