Register now to get rid of these ads!

can i use my old gauges...help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbs10, Nov 5, 2010.

1. jbs10

jbs10
    from newport ky

well i got a 50 chevy truck i have been working for a bit and love what i have learned on this site ..i would love ues the original gages in the dash.
    but the truck was 6volt and now it is 12volts what can i do can ijust use them will it be fine or rebuild them.i do not want to just buy new ones.

2. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a voltage drop for the gas gauge, the gen gauge doesn't mind the 12v in my experience. The other two guages are mechanical. At least, as long as the trucks are set up the same as the cars of this era..

3. squirrel

squirrel

the temp and oil gages are kind of low reading for modern engines, 212 degrees and 30 psi max, right?

One trick is to find gages from a newer vehicle (like a late 50s truck?) and make them fit the original cluster. Or find a catalog and spend big bucks.

4. jbs10

jbs10
    from newport ky

u may be rigth will have to look at that.. the gas gage is the first one i was wanting to ues 30 psi is kinda low but is better than nothing

5. squirrel

squirrel

gas gage will probably work on 12v, but it would be happier at 6v, try a LM7806 electronic voltage regulator

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Go to oreilly's for a 60's mustang instrument gauge voltage regulator, it reduces the 12 volts to 6 volts and its small and easy to hook up for the gas tank sender.

7. Wowcars

Wowcars

8. jbs10

jbs10
    from newport ky

thanks guys..

9. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

The fuel gauge definitely needs a voltage drop. We don't us the "runtz" and prefer to build our own. We have modernized many of those clusters to monitor modern power plants. Visit: morrisgauge.com

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

So wouldn't a ballast resistor in teh line going to the gas sender do the trick??

11. squirrel

squirrel

Only if the resistance of the ballast resistor is a pretty close match to the resistance of the gage itself.

12. You can buy new individual gauges for the stock cluster. They are about $50 each but cheaper than buying new aftermarket gauges and better looking than retrofitting junkyard stuff.

13. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Take a peek in the tech section about making your own voltage reducers cheaply based on the LM7806 and installing them. Send me a pm if you have any additional questions ;).

-Stefan