Register now to get rid of these ads!

Squeek in my exhaust? WTF??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

So i got my 327 fired off. Son of a bitch does that thing run good! ran it for the 20 min break in at 2500-3000 rpm. Oil pressure was good at 60 lbs. Tuned it down to and idle, and thats when i noticed what can only be described as a squeek in the exhaust. I went through and adjusted all the valves, and when i loosened the #5 cylinder exhaust valve, it got worse. I mean its a squeek squeek squeek kinda deal. Iv never had this problem before, and the heads are fresh rebuild 416s with a 3 angle grind. Pistons are forged flattops with valve reliefs. It has crane 1.5-1 rollers, comp chrome-moly push rods, heavy duty valvesprings, and a summit K-1108 cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1108/ . The heads have been ported as well, before i sent em out for the rebuild. Its all topped off with a weiand tunnel ram and 2 600cfm edelbrocks.

Everything went together fine. I just cant get rid of this damn squeek. I ran it again, and now its kinda intermediate. Could it just be a dry guide? its as loud as the exhaust out the headers though, and only at idle. Rev it at all and it goes away until idle.
    Any thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

you need to grease your muffler bearings. ;) your belts are squeaking. squirt them with some belt dressing in a can.

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

If you loosened #5, and it got worse, I'd say that's where your problem lies. How much run time is on this engine since you've put it back together?

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

oh probably about 25-30 min. The cars not complety back together yet. It only does it at idle and as soon as you bring it up off idle, it goes away.

Its on the exhaust valve sorry.

5. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

get a tube and put it to your ear then use it as a stethoscope to isolate the noise. do the simple stuff first. a belt is likely the source.

6. painterdude1

painterdude1
    from michigan

Over the years I have seen 2 motors have a squeek/cheerping noise that sounded up top only to be a spun rod bearing

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

already tried dressing the belt. It was a no go.

Painter dude,

Dont tell me that. Please dont tell me that

8. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Best look into it while your tools are still out!

9. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

with a tube to your ear you will be able to isolate the squeak. maybe you could pull the plugs and turn the motor over by hand and listen.

10. is it coming from the pipes or from the head itself. super long shot but what about valve slightly sticking in the guide?. but i would look at the roller tip and the wear on the pushrod ball.

11. painterdude1

painterdude1
    from michigan

If you loosen the exhaust rocker will it create more cylinder pressure and put more stress on that rod?Not sure will it:confused:

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Take and swap out the #5 roller rocker and another one on the other side of the engine e . It might be a bad roller lifter that's not getting oil . When you put the pressure on the rocker that's when it starts so try that and see if it goes away .
    Remember just because it's new doesn't mean it's a good one .

Retro Jim

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Its coming from the pipe

14. painterdude1

painterdude1
    from michigan

Had a 56 vette last year with a fresh motor run real good for the first 15-20 min ,then started to miss on a coupple of cylinders .Pulled valve covers had 3 stuck exhaust valves (they were all new ,brand?) they were flaking on the stem,but dont rember it making any noise.

15. Take the oil filter off, and cut the end off with snips.

Pull it apart and look to see if there any flakes of bearing Material, or steel shavings. Very cheap insurance!

In fact, I do this to every filter at oil change. You see I drive my stuff like a rental car. I'd hate to scrap the 502, because I did not look!

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I thought you said when you adjust #5 it gets worst ?

Now where is the squeaking coming from ?

If it's the valve train try what I said .

If it's from the exhaust pipe , then weld it up and that will cure that problem real quick !

Retro Jim

17. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

very true just spun all my main bearings on my 350 last week made a chirping sound.....:(

18. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

roller rockers? check to see that its actually rolling and not stuck. that would make it start flattening out and chirping.

make sure all your pipes are clear of obstructions and not rubbing on other metal, that noise will travel all over the car and motor and drive you silly.

make sure its not the waterpump either!

19. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

I had one that developed a squeek sound from the exhaust. Was told to remove the radiator cap and check for bubbles. Sure enough, bubbles. Turned out to be a cracked head.

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Intake gasket suckin wind, loose spark plug

22. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i swapped plugs and gonna see what that gives me.

Not a hole in the pipe because i only have fender well headers.

23. mrforddude

mrforddude

I have heard that noise before, but the guy who had that race car had done his own valve job and didn't get the angles matched between valve face and valve seat. If it gets worse when you loosen the rocker (more pressure on the valve face) this could be the situation as the compression is "squeaking" by the supposedly closed valve...see what I mean?

It's definately something worth checking before you condemn it to a spun rod bearing but that is something that will make one helluva squeak too...

Whatever you find let us know, and good luck with it...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  24. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

ok guys, still havent figured it out. Sound goes away as the motor revs. Gets worse at idle.

Here is the sound.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4mU-h3uHyzk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4mU-h3uHyzk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

25. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

thats how mine sounded had good oil pressure tore it down turns out it was a spun main bearing. block was good crank wasnt......

26. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

head gasket between cyl. 3 & 5.do a leak down just to chek

27. If you have guide plates could it be something as simple as the pushrod rubbing on it , maybe that one was stamped odd . Rob.

28. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

running heads with built in guides.

29. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

for the day boys

30. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Turn the radio up!!!!!!!!!!!:D