Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 pontiac 4dr sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poncho39, Oct 29, 2010.

1. poncho39

poncho39

Does anybody out there know what the difference is between 39 pontiac 4 dr sedan canadian built vs US built? My car doesn't have a vin plate so I don't know which one it is. My car has a 115 inch wheelbase. My engine that came with it is an inline 6 with valves on top. Sorry I don't know more but I got a deal on it I could not refuse. Seeking any help possible.

2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Looks like the 39 Chevys use a 112" wheelbase where the Pontiacs(us) were 115 or 120" . I use the Chevy for referance because whenever they started the canadian ponchos, they were on the shorter Chevy frames,chevy engines etc with the smaller version of a Pontiac body...

http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/pont30.html

3. toddc

toddc

My 39 Poncho was Aussie built. It came on a 115" wheelbase with a flathead six. Is yours a Pontiac engine?

4. poncho39

poncho39

I don't know if it is a pontiac engine or chev. How can I tell the difference? Is there anything on the motor to tell me?

5. poncho39

poncho39

As soon as I figure out how to upload pics, I will post a couple.

6. poncho39

poncho39

From what I have been able to figure out, the XCanadian built Pontiacs were different from the U.S. built units. Anybody know different?

7. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

I Chevrolet engine will have overhead valves...the Pontiac will be a flathead.
    That is how you can tell.

8. Canadian '39 Pontiac is the same size as a '39 Chev. U.S. Pontiac is a bigger car. My Father built a 39 Pontiac when I was a kid (Canadian car) we retrieved a set of doors for it from a 39 Chev in a Manitoba field.

9. sololobo

sololobo

Interesting info on the Canadian Pontiac vs American built. There is a 39 Pontiac hot rod in Omaha that is awesome, certainly not one you see very often. Good luck with your car, what I see it looks in great shape. ~Sololobo~

10. poncho39

poncho39

Sorry for the deception, that is not my car on my avatar. Pics of mine to come.Thanks littleskeet, my car has overhead valves.

11. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

As far as I know, the Pontiac is the same as a Chevy from the firewall back. The front is what is different and is wider and I think longer than a Chevy and Ford. I'll see if I can find my notes and the websites I used for information.

12. Ice man

Ice man

Pontiacs were always flatheads untill they went to the V8s in 55. If yours has overhead valves its a Chevy. Iceman

13. poncho39

poncho39

Pontiac front sheet metal was totally different. My hood opens on firewall mounted hinges upward from the front. Grilles were different as they used sheet metal with four rows of four slots with a cast divider down the middle from the hood. I understand 1939 was the only year for this grille.

14. ems customer service

ems customer service

Post some pics and maybe i can help

15. poncho39

poncho39

check out the pics under my profile. These are of my car ass it sits.

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

If you have any photos of the engine you should upload them to your gallery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. toddc

toddc

The body might be the same from the firewall back. The Aussie version is. The chassis however is unique to the Pontiac, and realistically not as good as a Chev.

18. poncho39

poncho39

My plan is to graft both front and rear frame sections from an 85 pontiac parisienne. It has heavy duty suspension and sway bars as well as lowering the front end nicely. I may look at lowering spindles if the front still isn't right. The 85 has a nice low mileage (81000 km) 305 and a 700r4 trans. Any thoughts?

19. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Measure from the center of the wheel to the farthest forward point of that suspension to be sure it will fit under your front sheet metal without having to modify the body (the ones where people bulge the lower part of the front fenders or move the wheel wells back to make it fit look terrible)

20. p15-1948

p15-1948

I'd think that frame would have to wide of a track for a 39 Pontiac.

21. fitzee

fitzee

Is there any vin plate on the front frame rail? My 35 pontiac has a aluminum tag riveted to the front frame just ahead of the steering box.

22. toddc

toddc

I'll second that. Mine is on a Toyo chassis. I had to cut 6.5" off the front of the chassis to get it under the guards (fenders) and it is still tight.

23. poncho39

poncho39

I calculated the 85 is roughly 5" wider in track, but with offset wheels,and the fact the 39 wheels were so desperately tucked inside the fenders, it should make for a nice look. I won't know for sure til they are both in the garage so I can get better measurements. As the old saying goes, measure twice then measure again before cutting.

24. poncho39

poncho39

Both body numbers and frame vin # have been destroyed. The frame had been " smoothed" long before I got the car, and the body numbers areas were repaired without thought to keeping such silly things as tags. DUMB ASSES !!!

25. ems customer service

ems customer service

I looked the pics on your profile, this is a real pontiac body , not a chevrolet. There were 3 levels of pontiacs for 39 25, 26 or 27 series, the 25 series is usally a chevy body on a pontiac frame. The 26 is the most popular ponitac. What else do you need to know

26. poncho39

poncho39

Everything. When you say a real pontiac body, does that mean it is different than the chev? If so , how? IS this the small body or the large?I appreciate your input and knowledge.

27. poncho39

poncho39

I have heard that the pontiac frame differs from the chev frame. Can anybody tell me how it is different?

28. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Go to poci.org That is the site for the Pontiac Oakland Club Internatioal or just google the name. Probably be able to find some info there.

48 Poncho

29. poncho39

poncho39

figured out that the pontiac frame is a " c " channel whereas the chev frame is more like a top hat style, flat on the bottom and an inverted " u " channel on top. Does that sound right?

30. toddc

toddc

^^^ Bingo!

The Chev frame is also much narrower at the front, making it much easier to do a suspension swap.