Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazygutgut, Feb 17, 2005.

1. crazygutgut

crazygutgut
    from Nor Cal

Hey HAMB'ers

Thought I'd finally stop lurking...

My name is Paul, You can call me Paul, or gutgut and you can certainly call me CrAzY...

I am currently working on my 2nd project. A 62 ranchero, with a stock 170 I-6. I had plans originally to chop it, paint it, put a 351 in it, but the car I ended up buying (off the original owner, no less) was so original, That I couldnt bear to do any thing but keep it original!. Well Almost. I have converted from GEN to ALT. Kept the original falcon radio, but put a CD player in the glove box. Spent most of my $$ replacing all the knobs and handles with NOS or parts from dearborn. Got some moons and rings on it now, but want to switch to some inset rings (they're called hot rod rings?) and get some "50's" era ford logo moons. Want some Whide WHites and Bias Tires ( maybe some "bias look" tires, since I plan to drive it alot) I have a bolt of the original fabric for the seats, hopefully I'll get all that done in the summer. I would like to repaint it in the summer, but not quite sure yet of I will just do a new coat of Rangoon red, or add a two tone deal or what, quite yet. I just got my YOM plates on and they look cool. The goal is to make the car look like it would have appeared in 62

I live in the SF bay. I would like to join a club, but one that is more about cars, than fashion. I hang out with my Dad and his club buddies from time to time (they are in Golden Gate Rods) But these guys are all in they're 60's and like to go to car shows at 5am (not my style!) They are a cool bunch of guys though..

My dad was a mechanic when I was growing up. He has worked for all of the BIG 3 at some point. But I was probably most proud of him when he was Mr Goodwrench. He taught me most everything I know. As a kid I used to be his "assistant" when he was working on the various cars he owned. (a 64 belvedere wagon, A 74 Fire bird, a 65 dart, a 74 Lincoln MK4) My dads current project is a 56 f100 small window. you can see it here: DADS TRUCK

I have some technical skilss, so I will try and help when I can, but I guess I am mostly here to learn and say "COOL". I do have some decent photochopping skills, I take requests if you dont mind the wait!! PHOTCHOP EXAMPLES

I like to goto shows, and try to shoot the cars I Like. I'd like to start showing my car by summer. I know you guys love photos so here are some of mine!! CAR SHOWS.

apologies for the directory format, one of these days I'll get around to indexing them...

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Welcome to the Hamb GUTGUT!

Your stomach have a double chin??

3. Slide

Slide

Welcome from Texas!

4. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Welcome, wrong place to post tho. :D

5. crazygutgut

crazygutgut
    from Nor Cal

Yeah for some reason I thought I was in the introduce yourself...you think that would teach me to have 5 windows open at once..

petejoe: I some some movie once (I think it was party animal) and the dude kept saying "crazy gut gut"..its fun to say, however, not a description of my physique

6. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Welcome from OKC!

7. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Welcome.

Take it easy with that KEEP IT STOCK talk. At least put a iron cross mirror on it and a mexican blanket seat cover. You might also think about painting the rims red. :D

What part of the bay area are you in????

8. Hey Paul,

good to have you over here....you will find a hell of a lot more here than on 'that other board' :rolleyes:

Dave

9. crazygutgut

crazygutgut
    from Nor Cal

San Mateo!

heres a pix of the ranchero 62 ranchero
    the Rims are red out of the factory! I dont have a mexican blanket, but I have on of those cheap-o car seat covers from kragen, that sort looks like a mexican blanket...

Once I can find some car storage, I am gonna get a 62 falcon ranch wagon.. then maybe I can do that one "up right"....

10. crazygutgut

crazygutgut
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for the tip Dave, I see that "political" threads arent welcome here..thats probably a good thing in my case...
    I listed you as my reference, do you get a bonus or something??

11. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I lived my entire life (up to a year ago) in Frisco and the peninsula.

Did you just pick up that Ranchero? I was looking at one just like that at the Wheels and Deals in Santa Clara about a year ago.

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I may have to get me a Ranchero one of these days. Nice car/truck.

13. HatchetFace

HatchetFace
    from So. Cal.

welcome!! i got one of them fancy mexican blankets...no car, but i got one...it's actually from Mexico too!! will donate it cheap...:D

14. crazygutgut

crazygutgut
    from Nor Cal

Where do you reside now? (besides Hell) I was born in SF. Grew up in San Jose during the 70's-80's. Moved up and down the east bay then moved to sf in 94. then I "sold out" and bought a house in San Mateo. I have very diverse taste in cars. I love traditional rods, but also dig 70's style lowriders, and 70's style hot rods. Have loads of respect for "Do it Yourself" rodders whether they are building rods or ricers. Cant stand the guys that show up to shows and say yeah I had so and so build this rod for 50k. not anit-billet per se' but I know why some people are. I think barret jackson is ruining the value of cars. I think shows like Overhauling, Rides, MG are giving to much exposure to the traditional scene, ain an effort to make the scene "popular" so they can take credit for it.

joeycarpunk:
    When I realized I could finally afford a project car. I was initally looking at mopars. I went to hot august nights, just to see what was floating around. I fell in love with the ranchero. its a sweet ride, and good "beginner" rod. I bought mine a year ago, in San jose but not at W&D, mine was private owner. I paid 3500. A little high I think, but worth the "all original" value of it. I was looking at some in the 1500 range, but they were usually pretty chewed up and far from original. I cant say I lean towards any particular brand (i got favorites with all the big 3). But When I look at my list of top 5 cars
    38 Zephyr
    40 Ford F100
    51 Lincolns
    68 Road Runner
    68 Impala
    I tend to doubt my own words..

15. Hell no!!

You just get the embarrasment of knowing me!! :D

theres a lot of us here in the Bay Area....as for 5am at car show's....Maybe at Viva, but thats when we will be leaving Sunday morning.... :eek:

dave

16. crazygutgut

crazygutgut
    from Nor Cal

WHere's Viva? I see you are heading down to Paso this year.You gonna have the valiant good to go by then? I am waiting for the updates, and where did that cool photochop pic go? I would really like to go to Paso at some point. When Is Paso, dont think i can make it this year. I got some license plate frames that say "paso robles" "Ford Lincoln Mercury" they look cool, but too shiny.. maybe I should have the dogs bury them in the backyard for a few months....

17. http://www.vivalasvegas.net/ Las Vegas March 24th-29th (Easter)

http://www.westcoastcruise.com/index.htm Paso May 27-29 (Memorial Weekend)

Valiant has just had a large amount of parts ordered (thank you Mr IRS for the refund) so some progress will be forthcoming in the next few weeks :D

Dave

18. texasgreazer

texasgreazer

19. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Welcome, you must a Mr. Obvious listener.