Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just bought a '49 Ford F1,and considering the S-10 frame swap. Has anyone done this? Any pictures? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Anybody try to make a front clip for a unitized body car with the front s10 frame? For instance maby a Chevy II?

3. spudshaft

spudshaft

Wow, this thread has been around forever. Great read

4. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Dang Id like to see it. I want to know how shallow the bed is going to be. Im going to put mine over on it because i want it low and metric parts are in every parts how across the country. smooth ride also.

5. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Have not heard of anyone doin it, do some measurin, see if its doable.. it might work, might also try a astro van, it has a subframe,, I'd love to do a straight axle setup myself.

6. 4950ford

4950ford
    from cushing,ok

you need to talk to eagletucky, he put his 52 pilothouse over on an s10 frame and it looks very good, you can see a picture of it on the trucks only picture thread, on the next to the last page.

7. They make a mustang II front clip for Chevy II but they are around $3000 and I have an 88 S10 clip. I did some measuring and I think its going to work. I will post pics when im done.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

I saw a Chevy II on a G body chassis years ago fit pretty good but it had a whole new floor built for it....

9. Im thinking of setting it up like the Mustang II clips they make. I only have the front half so I will fab up some plates and weld them too the rails after I cut them down too size. I will then make tubular uppers similar to the kind on the new mustang II front clips. Then it will all bolt on in place of my stock chevy II front clip. My only consern is how much heavier the S10 clip is going to be vs. the Mustang II.

10. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I looked earlier today, and here is what I found, on my 41 I have about 6-7 inches between the steering box and the front edge of the fender,, see pics
    I am guessing your 37 must have a shorter fender than mine, I plan on moving the body back to the lighter white line in the third pic, which is only 2-3 inches, I have close to 10 inches to play with as you can see in the 1st pic.

Attached Files:

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I've always liked the way the front suspension came apart on those chevy II's,, almost like they're inviting you to swap it out. Good luck, let us know what ya come up with,, we need more pics.
    Happy Holloween!

12. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

i will try to get my wife to do that tonight lol

13. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

Maybe I am not seeing it......I did see something that said to buy post 89 S10's but.....Can someone tell me what year s10 I should be looking for. I am putting the whole S10 under my 50 ford sedan...

14. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Hollywood, I dont think the year matters so much as the wheelbase, the shortbed single cab is about 109 in, iirc, you can look back in this thread and somewhere there is a fact sheet for the s 10 frames, measure your wheelbase on the 50 ford, then find the model s 10 that is closest, the long bed single cab is real close to 117, which is what the 41-46 chevy trucks are.. mine is going on a 88 single, so will have to lengthen about 7 in.

15. bigblockrik

bigblockrik

Just bought a 95 frame last night for my wifes 59 rambler american.It came with a good five speed trans don't need it but can sell it and pay for the frame.Hopefully in a month going to cut the ol rambler up and start putting it the frame.Might put a 340 mopar in it ? or a 4.3 carb motor up to her.Great thread

16. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

good score bigblockrik, what is the track width and wheelbase of the rambler? what are the s 10 frame dimensions? keep us posted on your progress,, and as always, send pics, good luck.. Novadude55

17. bigblockrik

bigblockrik

Here are a couple,got it home rebuilt the carb put some new plugs in it.Runs good smokes a little.Put a new master cylinder on it and a new muffler.We have put 500 miles on it and love it.But it too rusty under it to keep driving so i will do the frame swap this winter.Going to save the engine and use it in a t roadster project i have been collecting parts for.This thing has twice the power i thought it would have.Any way thanks for the info

Attached Files:

18. Anyone?

19. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

I believe someone did .... try your search @ 20 and up..

20. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Jason, i have uploaded a good drawing for motor mounts i hope that will help...

21. 73super

73super

What is an S15? Is it the same dimensions?

22. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

an S-15 is a GMC version of a Chevy S-10. Same except the badges...

23. igby

igby

s-15 is gmc, s-10 gm both are same.

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

...and the lock washers. :)

25. Abomination

Abomination

The GMC S-15 Sonoma actually has slightly different fenders and a completely different headlight/grille setup that it shares with the Isuzu Hombre, which is literally a GMC S-15, albeit with Isuzu badging.

Underneath, all are the same truck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~Jason

26. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

All S-10, S15 are shown for id purposes only so we can cut them up and use for our old hot rod bodies,,:D:D

27. 73super

73super

Well I guess my next daily driver will be an S10 or S15 ... that is, until it's called into duty!

28. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

How do the S10's actually drive and handle? Especially with dropped spindles and such to get these old trucks/cars low? Do they still ride smooth or like crap?
    Or if the old frame is still solid, would just updating the suspension and brakes to say a new aftermarket Mustang II setup be a better ride?

29. Abomination

Abomination

Heh heh heh... it's always wise to know our prey in the field. ;)

~Jason

30. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

dang havent seen you for ages abomination,, it was you who started this thread, even before I joined, how ya doin!?:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.