Register now to get rid of these ads!

A with SBC, rams horns, F1 steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteVS FP NJ, Nov 3, 2010.

1. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ

I'm working on a traditional A with '40 rear (same length as A rear,) '39 trans and an early SBC with rams horn manifolds. It appears that the left exhaust pipe is going to run smack into the steering box (F1.) Does anyone else have the same set up? Should I move the steering box back? Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

get a mid 70's (I think) pass truck ram horn exhaust manifold and use it on the driver side it may angle forward and avoid the steering box

3. hard to tell if you will have interference problems by your picture when the F1 box in not in it. my guess is if you get creative with the headpipe and use some tight radius mandrel bends you will get it to clear

4. It looks like plenty of room from here , unless your picture is deceiving?

5. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Well, if your using an F1 box you need to modify the flange due to the angle of the frame rails on the A. Correct? And if you have to mess with the flange you might as well move the box back to give yourself plenty of clearence.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

An old (traditional) way to clear the steering with this setup is to use a '55 v8 right side manifold on the left side. I will dump the exhaust ahead of the steering box so you can route the pipes down and away from the steering.

Frank

7. Anderson

Anderson

Move the box back...you're going to have to modify the hole in the frame anyway, so why not? Use the decent looking manifold you already have.

8. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ

I like the idea of using '55 manifolds simply 'cause it won't look like a Chebby (not that there's anything wrong with that) and it could be better made to look like an Olds with green paint and faux valve covers.

As far as "already modifying the frame," I'm planning on grafting an 'A' sector housing flange onto the F1 box ala Bishop/Tardel.

I'll also have to go digging to see if I have one of the Camaro or something manifolds where the outlet turns "left" (to the front on the driver's side.)

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get a better picture with the steering box somewhat in position today.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The F-100 works well on my Deuce. Test fit it before you get too involved.

The F-1 box needs to go where it fits the dashboard unless you want a lot of custom fabrication. It's easier to modify the exhaust pipe than hack up an F-1 steering box IMHO

[​IMG]

It was more of a problem with the 35 up Fords as I remember.

For those 35-48 Fords we use a 67-72 truck pass side manifold works very well. It angles the opening toward the front so a nice bend runs the pipe around the front of the steering box and allows it to get over near the pan and then turn out toward the frame so that the screw on oil filter can be changed without a smoke screen when started after an oil change. You will be changing the filter.:D

Chevy IIs have a similar pass manifold that works but are rarer and usually more costly than the truck manifold.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  10. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ

Thanks for all the replies! Lotsa good stuff there. I got a little deeper into my actual situation today and turns out it doesn't look too bad. First, I threw in a manifold with a length of pipe attached and put chalk marks on the frame about where the pipe is (first photo.) Then, I propped up the box on the outside, centering the sector play adjuster in the frame hole (second photo.) It doesn't look too bad from the outside (third photo.) I might put a notch in the pipe and then weld in a concave patch. Thanks again guys!!

Attached Files:

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another source of compact/forward outlet manifolds is the '78-83 A-G series.

12. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ

'32 steering is located about 4" further back than on a Model 'A.'

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Change over to block hugger headers ,That will solve your problem...............

14. This is the setup on the henry j

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]