Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rambler Wagon improvements??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Not a Ford, its a Chevy! I never called the motor a Ford.:confused:

2. Anderson

Anderson

You said numerous times that you're putting an AOD behind it....thats a ford transmission.....

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

AOD, Automatic OverDrive GM has overdrive trans as well sorry if I didn't use the proper GM Lingo, just trying not to have to type any extra letters and numbers. Thanks for the correction!

4. starion88esir

starion88esir

I'd like it better with an AMC 327, but it seems they all get a chevy engine nowadays. oh well, it's cool til I have to see the engine. :)

5. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Love to put an AMC motor back in it, just too pricey for this build, I have had several Javelin's over the years and grew up with my Dad running an AMC dealership.

6. farna

farna

It doesn't cost more to build an AMC than say a Buick or Pontiac. Very little more than a Chevy or Ford. The bigger problem is finding a rear drive transmission. The big Jeep 727 can be modified into 2WD, but requires a Chrysler (doesn't have to be AMC) parts trans for the output shaft and housing. The trans has to come all the way apart to change the shaft, so basically needs to be rebuilt. The AW4 used behind the 4.0L will work for a mild 360 -- close to stock, maybe an intake/carb/mild cam, but most don't like having to adapt the computer. A manual controller works well, but you really need a console and arm rest to make mounting the switch practical (I have one in mine -- sort of like a manual trans with no clutch). Then you have to find an engine also. That's not that easy in some areas, but remember to look in Grand Wagoneers. They had the AMC 360 until the end (1991). The specs on those engines are low, but it doesn't take much to make a vast improvement.

7. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

The last 360 I built cost about twice what a SBC costs. But I only have $400 in a nice running 4.3 with the trans. can't beat that and they are easy to mount. I normally try to keep engines of the same make in my cars but sometimes its not worth the bother and expense.