Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand Quickchange - R001?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRoadster27, Nov 3, 2010.

1. TRoadster27

TRoadster27
    from Goleta, CA

So, I've had this Halibrand quickchange rear-end and custom front-end laying around the shop for years. I would like to find out some information about it!
    The rear-end has the coveted and rare 'C4' Racing Equip. San Jose, CA backing-plates. ALL is original. (see pictures)

The pair looks as if it was originally built for a sprint car application. Or?

Notice there's only one backing plate on the front-end too.

My questions to you all are:

Who knows the what and when? Net worth? Rarity? Coolness factor?

- I added as much info to each photo as I could -

Enjoy!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks for looking!

TRoadster27
    11/03/10

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. designs that work

designs that work

hey,
    Probably from a Upright Super Modified. Champ rear end with drum brakes, dates it pre 1970-1972 maybe a little earlier. Dirt super modifieds and sprint cars ran three wheel brakes. Front axel looks to be either F1 or F100 Ford, which was what most supers ran. The fabricated spring mounts welded to the axel also standard for supers. The value is pretty much decided by the demand for parts. Good luck.

3. TRoadster27

TRoadster27
    from Goleta, CA

Fantastic! Just the kind of information I'm looking for. I do appreciate it. Perhaps a little more research is needed before I can post all this for sale. Pass the word around if ya don't mind! That rear-end would surely look bitch'n in a 28 - 29 'A' hot rod. Or simular, eh?

If you think of anything else please let me know.

Many thanks!

4. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

I have basically the same set up for my super modified does it have spacers between the quick change and the bells because I have 3/4 ton truck housings with V-8 bells
    welded to the axel housings. also I have the F-1 front axel and spindles I would be
    interested in this stuff to complete might Super project.

5. TRoadster27

TRoadster27
    from Goleta, CA

Thanks for your intrest.
    It has "Mag" bell spacers, see photos.
    Sounds like you already have the same set up? Are you looking for a second set up?

I'm trying to get an idea of value $$ for both or individually. I know early Mag Halibrands can be very desirable. Ran across a guy that is re-poping the C4 backing plates, he put a lot of detail into the tooling and they are real nice.

If I can get a rough idea of $$, I can then be ready to negociate. I'm flexable and open to offers.
    Thanks

6. saltracer219

saltracer219

What is the differential? Is it an open, a spool or some kind of limited slip- locker?

7. racemad55

racemad55

Plate missing,x on rear is probably the whole axle missing.

8. sdluck

sdluck

They take the axel out so the car will roll,it probally has a spool.Usually the use 1 ton truck axel.

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

O.K. I will bite. The parts are really not for a street driven car but can be converted.

The Halibrand 301 center section if in good shape ( no welded pinion] $300 -$400 for a good case as the insides will probably not be usable. Differentials are difficult to find and expensive to convert from a Black Gold differential. Halibrand parts are hard to come by and Winters is the new leader with great service.

The H252A side plates are the high dollar ticket. Ebay, swap meet prices of $500 are not uncommon for good ones.

The rest of the stuff would not be desirable for a street car in my opinion. The C4 repo plates from Paul are really nice but also pricey for just the backing plates. $125 each.

I would suggest you try a circle/sprint car site to sell the stuff as it would be more usable and in demand.

Good luck!

10. KOHLERACING

KOHLERACING

It's a Locker......

11. KOHLERACING

KOHLERACING

Thanks for the "bite"!
    Great info, is there a chat room for Circle/Sprint? And do you have Paul's last name or better yet how to reach him?

12. KOHLERACING

KOHLERACING

axle's are both there.....

13. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

I have everything but the adaptor plates wich as said before are hard to find.I have a really good spool I paid $40.00 and the aluminum 3/4'' ton finned drums another $40
    if this helps.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

My dad might be interested if it's a good deal, i'd hate to think of the shipping though

As the diff goes a timkin (1938-52) 3/4 ton diff can be adaped with a simple spacer i belive, you might be able to use one of the axles too if it is the right spline and length.

As for the front end, it is a bit clunky, but the snout of the spindles (they probably unbolt at the backing plate bolts) and backing plates might be the same bolt pattern as early ford, meaning that it could be bolted on the front of a hot rod

S/b noted too that the rear isnt set up for regular open drive too

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010