Register now to get rid of these ads!

towtruck rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bouoy, Nov 3, 2010.

1. I been toying with the idea of building a towtruck since I pay alot of money to a company to come and get my stuff. I have only seen one built from a 50's truck. I would like to see if you guy's have found something or have one I can get some idea from
    Thanks

2. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

search "wrecker" there 5 pages of them

3. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have seen wrecker made from the early Ford trucks from the 30's all the way up . I saw them at the NSRA and shoes like that . Most I have seen use a tube beam with steel cables and pulleys with an electric winch . Pretty simple but I really don't think they would use them . If for looks you can go that way but if you really want to use it , then you will need to go with a bigger truck .

Retro Jim

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I have a picture of a homemade model t wreaker, it used another set of t rails for the boom or whatever. its in the background so its hard to see. anyway it is very expensive to insure a tow truck, and if it looks like a tow truck then it is a tow truck.

6. Thanks I was looking for some roll back ideas.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I didn't see that one in the back , but I have seen that way done also .
    Do like the rest . Just get the truck done and get the street rod tags , then stick the non working set up on the back . No one will say a thing .

Retro Jim

8. stukks

stukks

9. Poverty flats seems to have an old wrecker he uses.