Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little help, two gauges to choose from...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Nov 1, 2010.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've got a piece of brass I'll be using for my dash and I'm at the point where I'm plotting things out. I am a little stuck between two gas tank pressure gauges to choose from and since they vary in size and the way they mount I've got to make a choice.

This one is from a Pierce Arrow and redlines at 4 psi which is correct for my application. The glass is cracked, but solid, and I'd leave it. It'll need some adjusting by a professional before it can be put into service.

Gas Pressure Gauge.jpg

Gas Pressure Gauge 2.jpg

This one, I haven't yet identified, but it is in good condition and of the same era.

Gas Gauge.jpg

Gas Gauge 2.jpg

This is the hand pump I am going with, if it matters.

Hand Pump 1.JPG

Hand Pump 2.JPG

What do you think? Which one would you run?

2. drchopper

drchopper

Definitely the top one , it looks killer .

3. Soviet

Soviet

4. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Brent, I know you will make the perfect choice for your "T" ! Looking forward to seeing that gauge monitor fuel pressure on your rod.

5. The Pierce Arrow one

6. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I like the Pierce Arrow gauge better , which one matches the other gauges better ? Are they black face also ?

7. crash11049

crash11049

Top one but replace the lens

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

One is a white Jewell 8 volt gauge (reverse of the Pierce), the other is a round Model A speedo and the other is one of these two. So, no perfect matches, just an assembly of period gauges.

I am leaning toward the Pierce as well. I like that it redlines at 4 psi. The crack annoys me though.

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So get the glass replaced. Looks like the ring that captures the lens might just be pressed on.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, the ring threads on. Perhaps I should look into finding some old glass and have it cut. New glass will look out of place. Probably sounds OCD but it's something like that that'd stick out, you know?

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Here's my volt gauge.

Jewell.jpg

Jewell 2.jpg

I'm set on going with the Pierce gauge. I messed around with it a little bit, last night and rotated the glass so the crack isn't blocking the view. All of these old gauges are really heavy duty. I love that quality about them.

12. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Hi Brent;
    I don't see how that "pump" could be used. It is a an engine primer for sending a tiny amount of fuel from the fueltank to the cylinders via very small primer lines. For a fuel tank of two or more gallons you would be pumping it for a VERY long time, if it even registered, at all. There are a number of different vintage fuel/air hand pumps from early vintage cars or later hot-rod or racing cars. (such as the ones used with some of the old MOON racing tanks or the Bell hand pumps on old midget and sprint cars etc.) Some are brass, some are aluminum. We used a LOT of them on our pre-war race cars, WITH the same air pressure insts you show... the main barrell of the hand pump needs to be at least 1.5" and preferebly 2" in diameter and at least 6 inches long. Most have a spring and ball check valve at the air exit from the pump, so the pressure from the tank does not bleed back out through it.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

I wondered about this when I aquired it. However, in comparing it to the Bugatti pump I have the bore is negligibly smaller and the stroke is slightly shorter.

It does have the same ball retent and holds pressure. I tested it after I rebuilt it. The one thing I don't know, which you bring up, is the amount of time it'd take to get 3-4lbs of pressure.

I'm going to do some more homework, thanks.