Register now to get rid of these ads!

preventing mice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1968pickup, Oct 30, 2010.

1. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Steel wool is Bad, They will chew through it and die in the walls after it tears up their insides. I hate mice, never realized it though, I should probably get the dog food out of the Garage.

2. wood470

wood470

I have one of those ultra sonic noise makers hanging under the motorhome and it seems to be working where nothing else would.

3. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

wood470, I need to ride mice in the exact same place as you. What brand and model did you buy?

4. Have a friend with multiple cats not empty their litter box for a couple of weeks, then dump it under your seat! Mice absolutely HATE the smell! Just kidding of course (cough cough...)

5. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Absolutely not.

Not only do they stink they are very poisonous. Happened to some HAMBers..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224241&highlight=mothballs

7. Deuces

Deuces

This is some funny shit here.. :D I give my little guy some of that stuff and he's ready to go outside on an ambush... LOL.. :D

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. zach from ny

zach from ny
    from New York.

We have 20 or so farm/outdoor cats at the house. A few of them are indoor/outdoor but most stay outside. God damn things can't stop mice from getting into the house/garage for shit. I catch at least one a week on a glue trap. The other day I smashed one with a paint can. Haaaaaaate mice.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Give them some catnip!.... :D

10. zach from ny

zach from ny
    from New York.

Haha one time we gave some alleycats behind the old shop a bunch of fresh catnip that the painter grew in his yard. These cats were freeeeeeaking out! hahaha.

11. Wait - go to the back door at the china buffet and knock twice - the cook will give you 25 cents apiece for them....

12. Deuces

Deuces

13. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

I use the Irish Spring soap thing and it seems ok... but I have seen teeth marks in it too.

I got a 54 olds 88 that sat for 40 years, smelled so bad it would knock you down. I got one of those citrus things from Lowes to get rid of the smell. Yep, sure enough, after two weeks, the citrus container smelled like mouseshit, rather than the other way around.

I had a mouse get in the house once, and into a wall I was putting plumbing thru from an upstairs bathroom I was putting in. I threw D-con into the wall to kill the little bastard.

That one decided, after eating that shit, to bore thru the flex ducting going from the furnace to the bedroom. Died there. Each hour, it smelled worse. Around 4am a few days later, I woke up nearly vomiting from the smell coming out of the vent. Dressed and ready, got into the crawlspace (4:15am). Phone rang, mom had a heart attack. Some days, shit just cant go right. Mom recovered, and I replaced 20' of flex duct. Persistence.

14. Sweetie will pretty much devour anything with fur or feathers!

Saw this Calico bag a Blue Jay about 30 feet up in a tree... "What a sight"..!

The dog is only good for eating the already dead stuff that the cat won't eat!!!:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  15. One Cool Cat!!:)

16. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

I've had no luck with the Irish Spring, teeth marks on it also.

Dryer Sheets - Bounce - seem to work well for me.

I've also heard Cloves - like whole cloves you put on a ham - work well, but I've never tried it.

Pete

17. chuckbob

chuckbob

That Irish Spring deal is a lot of BS. I had a bar of that stuff on one of my shelves in the garage and the little buggers ate half of the bar. Then they crapped all over the shelf. :mad:

18. Tiny condoms.

Seriously, what I found works is a take on the bucket thing, but with a couple inches of old motor oil in it. I left one from a lawnmower change in the garage one winter - if I remember right I actually hung it off the end of the garage door track (past the stops). Went to dump it in the spring and there were like half a dozen dead mice in it. Was just a regular five-gallon plastic mop bucket.

Anti-freeze would do the same, but since other pets may drink it, it's not a good idea. But apparently they liked the smell of the oil, too. And even if they could climb out of the can you use, they won't when they're covered in oil.

19. WQ59B

WQ59B

Family has cabin in upstate NY, built in '70, empty most of the year. My grandfather buikt it, and he was quite meticulous in making sure it was built tight; all pipes going thru the floor/walls had very snug holes. etc. Never had a single mouse. Bottom line : just don't let them in.
    My shop has 'em, have used the anti-freeze bucket/ PB soda can- caught 6 so far, so that definitely works... but have plans to make the building & doors tight.

20. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Cat, preferably a female, best solution to mice I have found.

21. indaworx40

indaworx40
    from New York

I have a similar remedy. Put a little mineral oil in a clean tuna or cat food can and then a few drops of essence of peppermint(from the health food store). Renew with a few drops monthly and no mice. It's worked now for a few years - I know that there are mice in the garage, but none near my truck.

22. I leave my radio on 24/7 in the garage. Heard to leave it on a talk station to keep mice out, but would rather listen to tunes. Don't get mice often with the tunes going, but now and then catch 'em dancing on the hood. Guess I'll try dryer sheets and the soap.

23. My probably is harder than most here as I have hundreds of old cars in a few acreages. It would be easier if they could all be inside but that is impossible.
    What I do is keep an eye for them whenever I am browsing around my stuff.
    Have used the bucket idea insidesome closed up cars.
    Want to try setting up buckets with oil in problem areas and see how that does. trying to preserve old parts for now and future generations. do not need mice ruining them.

24. Deuces

Deuces

Yes he is!.. Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

25. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Living in the woods i dont know how you can get by with out cats:) and a few other pets HAH.

Attached Files:

26. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

my 1949 buick came with a corn snake living in it no mice at all was pregnant too brought her in to lay her eggs all were empty then let her go in the barn hopefully she will stick around ans multiply

27. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Just pulled a football sized mouse nest out from under a spare tire in a car trunk....it was made of Bounce dryer sheets.

28. i've got irish spring soap and mothballs under it, in the trunk, under the hood and don't forget to duck tape off the exhaust pipe.

29. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

a few years ago i put some moth balls in a car that i was planning on building...changed plans and the car has set outside ,,went and checked on it last weekend..no mice or rats in the car...

30. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Moth balls/flakes are the only thing I have found to work. They work on flying squirrels and red & gray squirrels in buildings too. Trouble is, it takes years to get mothball smell out of a car.