Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help on a 34 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marshall, Nov 3, 2010.

1. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

I'm tring to fit the deck lid and I don't think the repop lower pan is right.
    I would like to know the measurement of the rear tail pan and the upper
    deck lid opening of a stock coupe . I would like to have them off more than one car .
    Thanks
    Marshall

Attached Files:

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

They're NEVER the right width... The one for my '27 T roadster is almost 3/4" too wide, and it's not even from that place in texas that rhymes with bowels... You're gonna have to make what you have fit the decklid you have.

3. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

"No shit" That why I'm asking for the measurement
    Marshall

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

The measurement will not be exact with other '34, you will have to get your side gap to the deck lid looking good than trim the bottom piece to fit ...................................

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

5. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

Again "No shit " That's why I asked for a measruement from couple from different cars ,So I can get the average and get a good idea of what it sould be. I can cut and move it any were I like ,I know this! All I would like is a measurement.
    Thanks
    Marshall

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

"No shit" that's good info and to the point!

7. You lower pan needs to be trimmed to fit properly.

For a measurement get ahold of Rocky he has a model 40 he's pretty much put together from scratch.

8. fordcpe

fordcpe

I think Marshall just wants to see what a stock opening was at. I am sure he is going to fit his lid to his opening.Here is my late 34 5 window measurements to the outside edge of the Quarters not to the edge of the trunk lid.Also I used a thin 1/4" wide tape across the sheet metal so that made it a little longer becuace the lid has a small raised crown in it.Top 38-7/16" Middle 38-3/8" bottom 38-3/8" The gap at the top might be bigger than than bottom gaps but very hard to tell by my eye. This was a pretty good car to start but it has a new lower pan below the lid. Darrell

Attached Files:

9. lsmjamison

lsmjamison
    from Texas

Lower pan below lid measures right at 45" and lid measurements above (fordcpe posting) pretty much match right up to what i measured.

10. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

OK I know how to make a deck lid fit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not that hard .. and yes they are not the same from the top to the bottom ,thanks for your input, But Im not looking for "how to fit a deck lid" I'm looking for a stock ford measurement from a stock rear pan that has not been cut or fucked up If someone has that I would love to get it .
    Thanks
    Marshall

11. read my whole post and PM Rocky.
    Problem solved.

12. F&J

F&J

marshall; i don't have a 33/34, mine was a channeled mangled 32 and your f'd up side gaps are like what I had. Just trying to help here.

I finally figured out because so much structure strength was removed in channeling, that the top panel above the lid/behind the top, was pushed down and also the body was racked to one side. I just kept at it, measuring diagonally behind the seat, across the lid opening, etc, until it started to get better.

Even if your car was not channeled, there still is a chance that upper deck has settled lower, and you'd never get the lid correct IMO. If you lightly jack up under the top side framework just to see if that helps, but only if you already made sure the back body is not racked to one side.

If it were me, I'd cut the final fit on the lower panel after you get the lid opening to run straight on the lid sides and top.

13. 2-TONED

2-TONED

IF my 34 was here id measure it for you.

the dude wants a measurement off a few different cars he dosent want to hear crap from guys that havent even sat in a 34. :eek:

14. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

What a bunch of crapola! Marshall is a VERY EXPERIENCED sheetmetal guy and doesn't really need any advice on how to do stuff. If you can't give him the answer he needs...shut the *@#+ up.

Good thing about the HAMB is that it's huge and someone knows the answer and is usually willing to chime in. Problem with the HAMB is it's huge and lotsa someones don't know the answer and are too willing to chime in.

ss34coupe likes this.
  15. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

im seeing both sides here...marshall just wants a stock measurement to see how his in comparison and go from there...everyone else is saying they are different sizes to just fit his accordingly, But marshalls "no shit" is pretty poor, why ask questions then get pissy cause you are getting the right answer, its just not what you want to hear?

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A little desert with that Crow......................
    The 3/W was mine, the Yellow 5/w is Bob Spalding's, seat time trip from Wa. to Santa Maria & back!

Attached Files:

17. fordcpe

fordcpe

Ok here are measurement with the deck lid out of the way top 38-7/16" middle 38-1/4" bottom 38-3/16" that is measured straight across not on the outside of the deck lid.I also measured the old lower panel to the new one and they are the same width.If you click on my photos above you will see a masking tape line with arrows were I took the measurments at. If this is not what you need I don't no what you need.Your very welcome Darrell

18. titus

titus

Even if i had one i wouldnt go measure for it for you, quit being an ass, theres a nice way to respond and your going the wrong direction about it. I know there is alot of extra info that you dont want being posted but its gonna happen

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

What a great HAMB thread. Someone wants a measurement and he gets informaton on how to build a tapemeasure. Give him the size or go pound sand.:(

Frank

20. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

i could say you should be setting that width to your decklid but that's been said, i could also say it's alot easier to set your gap cutting the bottom panel as opposed to setting the gap and making a decklid fit

if i was home i'd even be willing to measure it but i'm not i'm at work so i won't say anything instead, here's a bump to the top for you

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

marshall, when i get home, i'll take measurements of the 3w. it was built by dave simard to stock specs, so it should be pretty close, and the deck and quarters and most of the pan are all henry steel.

22. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

Darrell Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to help me find the measurement
    I was looking for ,It has helped alot and it was much appreciated and thanks to any one
    who under stood what I was asking for ..

As for the guys who didn't read what I posted and felt the need to tell me how to do what I was doing "No Shit" I do know how to fit a deck lid, and if you need to cut a factory line to fit a deck lid you don't know what your doing.

ss34coupe likes this.
  23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Mine measures
    Top 38 1/2
    Middle 38 3/8
    Bottom 38 3/16

No shit:)

24. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

Thank you , The more the merrier
    Marshall

25. Marshall,

Just got home and measured mine. 38 1/4 at very top of the lower pan.

Once I get the new flattie in the '34, I can get started on the Topo I picked up from you this spring. I've been collecting parts and am fired up to get started.

26. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

you said you had a re-popped piece, they need to be trimmed to fit more often than not, not sure what factory line you need to cut on my three window it's a bolt on piece

38.25" is what mine measures at top of lower pan

27. barnfind08

barnfind08
    from minnesota

Just went out to measure a unmolested 34 3 window and it is 38.25 on top of the pan and 38.25 at the bottom and 7" on the sides.

28. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

Thanks for the measurement ,
    Marshall

29. 4ever18

4ever18

My unmolested 5 window trunk opening measures 38 5/8" at the top of the trunk opening, 38 1/4" wide about mid-way, and 38 3/8" wide at the bottom of the trunk opening - where the tailpan begins.

Darrell

Attached Files:

30. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

Marshall,
    The only thing I can say is Wow! Your right.
    Steve Glucoft
    Amocat Speed Emporium