Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT - but I'm sure you guys can relate - opinions please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cederholm, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cederholm

cederholm

3 years ago I sold a benchtop Bridgeport Milling machine on flea-bay.

The buyer was from Ohio I belive the Mill is at my mom's in RI. He payed me right away and asked if I could hold it for a few weeks until he could send someone to get it. He was in the business of buying old machines, restoring them and reselling them. I said "no prob" - weeks turn to months and into years. I haven't heard from him in three years, I don't have his info anymore, but mine hasn't changed (phone/email/ebay info).

My mom would love to get it out of her house and I wouldnt mind reselling it. ---- but it's realy not mine anymore and I don't want to screw anyone.

oppinions?

Thanks,
    Carl

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Find out what the laws are in your state and his re: such matters.

3. fanspete

fanspete

If it wasn't so far away, I'd come get it and you could tell him (if he ever shows up) you thought 'he' already took it.
    If it were me and you held it that long and sold it to someone else....my bad.

4. I'd contact Ebay, tell them the problem...see what they say. They might have a datebase that can look up the sale and give you contact info

5. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

3 years!!! sell it.

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

check laws in BOTH states before taking any permanent action to re-dispose of that machine.

dj

7. roddinron

roddinron

^ right to the point!:D Hell the old guy probably died or something, sell it, hold onto the money for a while, and if by some strange chance he does show up, offer him a partial refund minus the storage fee.

8. spinman

spinman
    from new jersey

3 years is ridicoulas. He's probably dead or skipped town.

Your 'good faith' of waiting for him has long expired.

I'd have no guilt in relisting the thing on CL or wherever. If he does resurface in the future, well "oh well".

You're not a storage facility.

Spin

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was supposed to pick that up for him, but I lost your mom's address. The buyer has old timers disease, and couldn't remember who he bought it from. So please send me your mom's address and I'll get it out of there.

10. Why do a LOT of people refer to Ebay as flea-bay, or Egay, like it's a terrible thing, and yet they still use it? Do you call your wives whores? Just askin:D

11. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Man I totally forgot about it.
    I seem to have lost your address , could you give it to again ? :cool:

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

Only under my breath.:D
    As far as that goes, I'd at least make an effort to contact him, tell hm about the "storage fees", and see how he wants to proceed.

13. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I think the worst that could happen is that he would show up and want the machine, if you got a real bleeding heart judge he may want you to refund the guys money. I think the statute is most likely up on this machine, I would sell it and if he shows up offer him some compensation minus a minor storage fee, if he refuses the refund he would be bonkers. No one is going to show any favor to his case after 3 years. How much money is it? That sort of matters, if it's thousands I would seek a bit of advice over it.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, no kidding. eBay is legit, and always decent with me.

Anyway, about the matter at hand, 3 years is plenty long for this, resell it and help out your Mom.

15. Slapnuts1975

Slapnuts1975
    from Tennessee

Sell it. If he shows after that long of a time I'd be very surprised. If he does, after the first month of you holding it theres a storage fee of 10 dollars per month, times 36, end of story.

16. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

[QUOTE Do you call your wives whores? Just askin:D[/QUOTE]

not all my wives...just the one :D

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

Anytime you sell somerthing on E-bay put it on the ad that pickup is due within 7 days of purchase or buyer loses it and a nonrefundable payment.

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Did the guy not leave you feedback or you him? eBay isn't going to help but you might be able to find him through feedback.

If that works, great. If not, sell it.

19. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Good luck with that one if they send a postal money order or pay through PayPal. PayPal or the law doesn't care what you specify in your auction listing.

20. bryan6902

bryan6902

Sounds like he was using you for storage while he tried to resell it. Go through the eaby process, for unclaimed items, and resell it your self. Sounds like there is some interest here.

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

There is no process for something this long ago.

22. in ohio , (legally ) i believe if you leave something at someones work or home without any form of payment for storage , repairs etc after 30 days they own it ive heard this on a number of occaisons after 3 years i think its yours

23. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

24. cederholm

cederholm

25. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

Talk to an attorney who specializes in that type of practice. He can research the laws for you. Don't rely on just calling an agency or Police Dept. about the specific law. Chances are the dispatcher or local cruiser cop won't know anyway. You might spend a hundred or two to get the correct answer, but it may legally get you the machine back to resell.

If you know the town or county he lives in, call his local PD or Sheriff's office, kindly explain the situation, and ask if they are familiar with the name, or whether they might have any address info they can share with you. Don't ask them what the law is. They won't know, unless you get through to a robbery detective, and since it's not a robbery or stolen item, they won't waste the time.

Then find out the name of his local paper and check the archives to see if there's been any obituary or arrest listings.

Local tax offices also have websites for people to search, if you know the name or address. If he moved, it would list date of sale and current owner. Maybe they would have a forwarding address. Or if it's a landlord, he might give up a bit of info as well.

Most county Sheriff's offices have a web page listing for current and past bookings; check that as well.

You could try Ebay, but I doubt if they would pursue something that old.

As a last resort, place an ad in his local paper in the legal section describing the sale and lack of pickup, and state that there will be a 30 day claim period to pick up the item, and after that the item reverts to become the property of the seller, and that the buyer knowingly relinquishes all claims to the item if conditions are not met.

Good luck!

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of the things recommended are going to be pretty tough to do, considering that Cederholm (the seller/thread starter) THINKS the guy was from Ohio, and that's all he knows.

27. Or, don't waste your time on someone that has wasted yours and just sell it. It's been three years! Three months would've been too long.

And, I agree with Grouchy on the need to call it egay.