Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Clip Swap - S10 vs. Camaro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by holleywoodphoto, Nov 2, 2010.

1. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

I know there are tons of posts out there about this.....but, I am trying to decide between S10 and Camaro front clip for my 50 ford shoebox......Which is the best fit. I have more time and tools then money, otherwise I may think about a FATMAN FAB set up. I can pick up an S10 or a Camaro for under $500.....Any thoughts??

2. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Measure how wide of a clip you need. 1 gen F-body cars are narrow but, the 70's era cars got real wide. (I couldn't use a 74 firebird on my 53 Plymouth) I think the S-10 would be a bettter bet. ......My advise if there is nothing wrong with the frame itself upgrade what you have.

3. heavy

heavy

G body cars are perfect track width.

4. Slorolnlow

Slorolnlow
    from Florida

I just put a s-10 clip on my '49 Ford coupe.Fits real nice but I would agree with heavy that a G body is right on for track width.The s-10 is a bit more narrow and does not have as much engine space compared to the G body clip.Both will ride and drive better than an expensive Mustang 2 set up,and you'll have more money left over to spend somewhere else.Good luck.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

GM clips are narrowest up to 1972 and use a rear steer box...after that year they get wider and they then use a front steer set-up. So, in that old woodworkers' lament: measure twice and cut once.

R-

6. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

What GM clip should i be looking for???

7. mattlepperd

mattlepperd

I put a '79 Camaro under a '48 plymouth and it handled,rode and looked great.
    You can adapt the bigger sway bars from Trans Ams.

8. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i did the s10 clip on my 53 customline.... love it love it love.....it is a little narrower ..i used wheel adapters gm-ford to make up the differance..
    the frame width is very close,,,and if butted up flat with no Z it will set at stock height..

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Nova, Camaro and Firebird up to 1972...they simply unbolt from the floorpan (after you unbolt the steering column)...

R-

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

The 79-88? Gbody is narrower than the Novas Cameros etc , I had a 50 Plymouth with a Camero clip...it was ok but too wide, If I had kept the car I was gonna modify a complete Gbody chassis and put it on that.

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

why do a swap at all, out of curiosity? unless your putting some really badass motor in it, rebuilt stock suspensions and brakes should do the job quite nicely. i just hate to see people go through all of that work needlessly is all. not that i haven't done it myself.... anyway, just curious.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you gotta do a clip, my vote would be with '78 - '87 GM A or G body cars. Hub to hub they are about 58" wide, and they fit the width of the frame correctly as well. As far as handling, they are major steps forward from a first or second gen Camaro or Fire bird clip too. Better parts availability, better brakes, hhmmm... That's a bunch of positives! I don't care what anybody says, second gen Camaro clips are too wide for these cars. They will work, but only if you are willing to run weird off set wheels, narrow tires, and a fairly tall ride height. A and G body cars include Mulibus, El caminos, Monte Carlos, Chevelles, '78 - '87.
    As far as the Fatman stuff goes, I'm not a huge fan. Personally, If it was my car I would do a Pinto or Mustang II based off a stock cross member and fab my own clip. Before doing so I would recommend looking up and reading as many of ElPolacko's threads on this subject as possible so you can do this in a correct manor that will work well.

13. I have the same question as kustombuilder. My '49 shoebox Ford has stock suspension but it's not on the road yet. Hope to get started on it this winter. Probably keep the flattie or maybe later some mild OHV. Plan to lower it 2-3" and I have blocks for the rear. Maybe some dropped spindles for the front and freshen up the original stuff. Maybe go so far as a rebuild on the steering box if necessary? So much easier this way I'm thinking....

14. chevyshack

chevyshack

I have an 81 cutlass but ive never measured it. I do know if you decide to go with that set up id upgrade the suspension with polyurithane bushings. They have alot of body roll as is stock. The monte SS would be the one to get because its got better suspension and a close ratio steering box. Dont even touch the grandnational. That would be wrong.

15. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

So much good advise.....some of it over my head as this is my first custom that requires any major modification....But great advise! Thank you all.....Keep it coming...

My thoughts are that it would save me some cash if I swapped the clip with an S10 or Camaro, rather than updated the current front end. I can pick up a POS for cheap.

16. 73RR

73RR

Hey Ford guys, just curious...are there any FoMoCo, besides the MII, that are worthy of consideration?
    There have been plenty of various body styles over the years and logic says a donor should be in the pile.
    What is the drawback?

17. Anything in the mid-size range from Ford was unibody. The full frames were under the Galaxies and the later ('72 and up) Torinos, much too wide for the shoe box. I have seen some Torino clips under '57-58 Fords though.

Bob

18. Slorolnlow

Slorolnlow
    from Florida

Find a early '80s Monte Carlo preferably the SS and cut the front end out.You can do this swap with all new bushings,tie rods and ball joints for the same price as a pair of dropped spindles for your old front end will cost.I know its not "traditional",but it will drive so nice you wont care.

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

This is a big red flag for me. I usually try to stick to the question you asked, but I have a place in my heart (a black place) for clip swaps.

You say yourself, POS. Why do you want to shortcut the most prized car you are working on right now?

Further, unmolested survivors are harder and harder to find. The value of a stock car, carefully restored to stock function, far outweighs a clipped car. It need not be expensive. You just need to find the right parts and tools.

Another option is a well designed suspension conversion that is better that stock or a clip. This is usually not cheap, but rarely hurts the value unless the prospective buyer is a collector of OE restorations and such.

This is a case of getting what you pay for. Do you really want an S10? They are cheap. Take some time on your pet project.

20. thebugbox

thebugbox

I've read tons of threads, and I'm going with the S-10 this winter. Tons of cheap parts and everyone that I've talked with that did it loves it. also the rear ends are easy to adapt. Not sure this is the case on the A or G body cars. The only way that I know of to MII is to use a clip, and if I'm going to do that, then I'd prefer using something more modern. I've considered the Jamco stuff, but $$$$$ and I don't like the Volvo steering thing. Too hard to find now, and parts aren't as easy as the S-10. I've looked for Ford donors, but nothing in the 90's has the right track width...

21. thebugbox

thebugbox

22. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

I am up for ANY and ALL suggestions....Its not that I want to molest the car....but I want to make sure its a safe ride....I have a Chevy that is 100% all original and this car that I am building now is going to be my "weekend car"....something I can feel safe driving my wife and child around in....It's not that I dont trust the original equipment but I would feel a whole lot better if I didnt have to think twice about 60 year old parts. And as far as upgrading the parts...it's way too expensive at this point in my life to do that (have more time then money, and im not afraid of a little hard work and investing a lot of time to the project) and I like the thought of being able to pick up parts at the local auto store....This is a car I plan to keep...I am not worried about the value of the car....I am worried about how it functions and how it looks...but I do understand what you are saying.

By POS I mean something that has a trashed body but straight frame and front end...

Thanks for your input....it is greatly appreciated

23. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

24. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

I am seriously leaning towards the S10....I have found tons of them from $300 to $1500.....It would be easy to take what I need and make my money back selling the rest....afterall thats pretty much what I did on my shoebox...I have $0 invested in the car as of now....

25. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Camaro clips are to wide, go S10 cheaper and the right width.

26. derpr

derpr

I have a second gen camaro clip in my 49 and its alittle wide. I think the 1st gen. with the rear steer is alittle bit smaller.

27. thebugbox

thebugbox

I bought my frame with a running 350 with headers, and 700r4 (Overdrive!) for $700... So I'm with you there. I don't trust the engine/transmission as far as I can throw it, but it will get it rolling for now.

28. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! I can always upgrade later...when the money tree starts blooming again...LOL:D

29. pauls fords

pauls fords

Used a 91 Lincoln Town car front suspension,,,same width as the 51 ford,,plated top,botton and sides, great ride great handling and also used the Lincoln steering and welded the carrier bearing into the floor, did not have to cut any of the steering shafts,,shoebox is shorter than the Lincoln so the steering is very quick,,used the 4.6 sohc and AOD,,, 89 frames had the 302 and 351s will bolt in... Take Your Pick,,, Paid $500 for a complete 95 Town Car from a local junk yard,,,got suspension,,wiring harness,,,power steering,,,,4 wheel disc brakes,,,,perfect running engine and trans [with a little cleaning of the mass air flow unit]and people who drive Lincolns dont beat them and do regular maintance,,,this one is going into a 51 F1 that is my wifes truck and a nice leather seat for my car hauler,,,,Man What A Deal

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  30. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

Has anyone ever done a complete chassis swap? Just curious...would a complete S10 Chassis fit underneath a 50 ford body?