Register now to get rid of these ads!

are you an old Hot Rodder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edson1314, Oct 31, 2010.

1. BLUE HEMI

BLUE HEMI
    from new jersey

started driving almost 30 years ago with a 1970 dodge polara,2dr guess im a young-in:Dive had 12 muscle cars/classics since.but i really like the old rods,maybe one day il finally have one.my newer hemi in my dodge custom truck is driven eveyday..gas mileage be damned!:D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. hudson48

hudson48

Started when I was 13.Sold my pushbike to buy a 1938 Ford Club Roadster.Wish I still had that one.Licence in 1965,then a 38 sedan,then a 46 sedan,first hot rod in 1968 which was a channelled 29 Model A roadster with a Y block.

Haven't lost interest in nearly 50 years and still plans for more cars.The next one will be a channelled 32.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Got my license in 1959...immediately went racing with my Dad's '49 Merc...immediately got busted for it...!!! Walked for a while before I finally got a three year old '57 Chevy in 1960...just before I graduated.

Now to toot my own horn, I've been fortunate enuff to have written two books ("Bangin' Gears & Bustin Heads" and "Fast cars, 4-speeds & Fist-fights") about growing up in the Midwest and the general craziness me and my pals got into with cars: heard of rat-racing...??? No...??? Well we did it...and it was a blast. Heard of drag racing on highway 30...??? No...??? We did it in '57 Chevies, 409" Chevies, Chevy sixes, big Buicks and big Pontiacs, before muscle cars.

Problem is, those two books are not picture books...you'll have to use your imagination to ride along with me...if you so desire, check out my website below, you just might learn something new about the 60's...!!!

R-

4. Ice man

Ice man

Got my License in 54, but was driving since Dad got me my first 30 Ford at 8, and I drove the 40 Chevy around the farm. I'm 72 today and my daily is a 29 Ford Pk Up Hot Rod.

Attached Files:

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Older than dirt, so I'll keep quiet & chuckle as I read all the great responses!!
    At 15, here's my first "Hot Rod", a 1947 "whizzer" motor mounted in my bike, top speed 33 MPH!!!!

Don't ask who the "Cutie" is on the back!!---I can't remember either---DANG IT!!-------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

6. dudley32

dudley32

I didn't even have a license until I was 16...If you live as long as I have ...You'll be as old as me...d32

7. Got my license in 1956,and was driving a 39 Ply.2 dr. lowered all around primered white with red wheels and the inline 6 had dual carbs. and split exhaust manifold, head was milled. I actually beat a 49 Ford with a dual carb. manifold one nite. If that old Ply. could talk !!!!

8. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

My first car was a double clutch 53 Chevy...dad bought it for 350 dollars.

9. pitman

pitman

Heh, well the coupe in the pic began w/buying the body...saved up bigtime! $75. :p

42 years flown by.

Attached Files:

10. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I'm a young hotrodder in an old body....Wife says a car my age would be in a museum :rolleyes:

11. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

What a great run, driving at 15, 1955. My father bought my first car a 1932 ford 5 window 4cyl.$100.00. Our first project together. I was a lucky kid a gear head father
    who was a great mech. and machinist. the 32 went on to be our A/G-AA/G ride many AHRA records through the 50s and 60s. So many good times and cool cars.Still drive a 32, 3 window and a 41 Lincoln Continental both street rods.I want to take this opportunity to thank the many participants on this site who have taken the time
    to help me and others with great advice and experience.
    Blaine

12. Licensed in 1959. Dropped a '53 Chrysler Hemi engine in a '46 Ford Coupe in '62 when high school kids were figuring out on their own how to do the things grown men come to internet forums asking advice about today. No offence intended..just the truth.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  13. mpot

mpot

Got my license in '65, currently own a '36 Ford (drag car) and a '32 roadster. My youngest son (31 yrs.old) is busy putting a 496 BBC in the '79 C10 that his oldest brother and I built when he was 15. All 3 boys worked on the truck and drove it to high school. How did I get so lucky?

14. Motion bird

Motion bird

I like to think that I am a young gun. At 39 and having been doing this for 22 years,I am sometimes surprised by how much water has gone under my bridge. My first car was a 67 Cutlass(Blue Max in magic market on the trunk lid)that I pined over for about 3 years and it lasted me about a month. I can from an Oldsmobile family and my parents owned 3 67 Old's 98's and I was hot for a 425 swap.

I have owned too many old cars to count over the years. 2 of the cars I currently own I have owned for 22 years(powerslave 1) and 16 years (Powerslave 4) There were 7 Powerslaves so far including my front engined dragster that I raced for a while. The Powerslave name is only given to my own cars that I built or did signifigant work to myself and actually raced at the track. It may not be a very old school name,but back in my high school days all my friends with our home brewed hot rods gave them heavy metal names.

15. sololobo

sololobo

First car at age 13 in 1956--33 Chevy tu-door, my present daily driver 59 Ford Ranch Wagon. Just can't stop. ~Sololobo~

Attached Files:

16. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Got my licence in '55 at 18 years as my mom wouldnt sign for me. Took my test in our '42 mercury. Out of school went to work bought a '50 triumph thunder bird, then traded that for my '47 chevy. Went to all of the known southern Calif. drag strips of that time, Saugas, San Fernando, santa ana, Long Beach, and Pomona. Then got into road racing, Riverside, pomona also had a road course, willow springs. then things just got too expensive to run and maintain a family.:cool:

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my first car, a '56 Chevy 2-door, when I was 16, in 1962. I paid $15.00 for it. It needed all new brakes, including lines, shoes, wheel & master cylinders. I bought four used tires at a junk yard for $20.00 and drove the snot out of it for three years.

18. I built my first engine @ the age of 14,in 1974.As I put the motor back together it just kept getting tighter and tighter...when I had all 8 pistons back in that old 283 it would barely turn over! I went to a mechanic pal,told him what was goin on and he said"Did ya mark the rod caps so you could keep them in order?" I said "huh?"...hahaha so many years ago....

19. Jr.Rodder

Jr.Rodder

No. Got my license in 07, and this old hot rod Sept. of this year. Trying to learn as much as I can. Everybody has to start somewhere.

20. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Got my drivers license in 61 at age 14 but had been driving since I was 10. In Texas back then you could take drivers ed at age 13 and I finished it a week before I turned 14 so I had to wait a week before I could take my drivers test. I bought my first car at age 12 a 1940 Ford coupe for $35.00 and later bought a 265 Chevy for $20.00 and put it in the 40 at age 13. My dad worked for a machine shop in those days that also did chrome work so I had a pretty cool car. Dad brought home scrap steel from the shop and that is what I used to fabricate the motor mount bracket. I also built a set of headers from scrap tubing. I was lucky to have access to a arc welder, oxy./acc. rig, hand tools, grinder and a big oak tree complete with chain hoist. Being raised in the country back then certainly helped. I built my first of many race cars at age 14. Thanks dad for all your help and for allowing me to chase my dream even though you did'nt always agree, I miss you everyday.

21. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Got my '40 in '54. Flamed it, installed a dropped axle, Sharp heads, 2 jugger and headers. Got my AZ license in '55. Finishing my '56 big window F-100 and starting on a '32 full fendered roadster. Time flies.

Attached Files:

22. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Hopped up my first car in 1954.

23. NapalmWillie

NapalmWillie

Been driving legally since 1959, not so legal since about 1954 ( in my dad's 1929 Nash) and have been involved with hot rodding the whole time. I still drive my '28, Nailhead powered 'A' roadster pickup that I have owned in one form or another since 1966 and my daily driver is a '56 big window GMC short bed. I have been a member of the DRAG-ENS Hot Rod Club from 1966 until now. I guess I was fortunate to live in an era when regulations were easier and cars with soul were more plentiful, I am a late starter compaired wirh some of you guys but we fit in wherever according to our time.

24. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Bought my first car in 1951, a '32 tudor, engine missing, $20! Tried to chop it. Finally gave it away and worked with my older brother on his '34 with 322 Buick. "Inherited" it when he left for college in '54.

Bought another '32 tudor, but closer to completion, here last December, with 265 Chevy. Cost a bit more.

25. Had my first car in 1962, my first hot rod in 1963.

26. I am so old I remember when speeding tickets were $16.50 and we raced with flag starters and distance handicaps for class variations. I ran this one back then.
    Valve cover and thermostat housing Chroming cost me $100 which was then about three weeks pay for me. Paid $35 for the car with a kaput flathead six. Bought a blowed up 1961 313 (Canadian 318) from my dad for $15 and did my first engine rebuild. First time round I had trouble but a machinist at Chomedy Clutch and Engine took the time to explain to me, a 16 year old punk what a hi perf engine needed vrs a granny motor. From that day on I never looked back. His advice was sound and to the point and still valid today. I owe him, big time!
    Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  27. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Got my license in 1956. Had two Customs 56 Ford, 56 Chev. First streetable
    rod 40 Ford Coupe, Olds powered, later 283 Chev power. Owned a number
    of cars since, favorites always been 40 Fords and 28-9 Fords on deuce rails.
    Have owned my 29 Roadster since 1968.

28. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

Got my license in 66, lost in it 67, 90 in a 50. Now old and slow. First car 53 chev.

29. yblock292

yblock292

yep first build in 1965, haven't stopped yet

30. hemiboy

hemiboy

I bought my first car, '37 Chev, in 1967. Still have number two, bought it in 1969, a '34 Chev. Drove it to work today, did a great burnout yesterday- aaah, mobile therapy!