Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old cars made into signs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hodad, Aug 25, 2009.

1. apound

apound

great thread

2. Saw the International truck in Key West in an earlier thread. Is that at Bo's Fish House? Here is another shot from there.

Attached Files:

3. patman

patman

I've driven past that one many times. Here's one from the Pink Cadillac Diner in Rochester NH:

[​IMG]

4. Gator

Gator

Fudpucker's restaurant in Destin, Fl. The whole van's there, it's a sales display on the inside.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  5. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

I have a fiat just like that...

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Love this thread- just wasted 15 mins when I was s'posed to be working though.

7. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Just went thru the thread :)

8. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I saw this in Lethbridge Alberta last June (sorry for the bad photo, I was driving)

[​IMG]

Spotted this one in Great Falls Montana the next day

[​IMG]

This is also in Great Falls Montana, by the airport (it rotates in the wind!)

[​IMG]

9. lowburban

lowburban

I was gonna put that one. Was there last summer for my brothers wedding.

10. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Everyone.. Came down Route 66 from Springfield to OKC yesterday and found several "Cars for Signs", plus one south of Jefferson City on Hwy 63 around Westphalia, I think... Hwy 63 one is first, 2nd is at Carthage, MO on east side, third is on road across from Airport in North Joplin on the MoKan route for the HAMB, 4th is at Joplin, MO on West side, and last is in Oklahoma, about mid way between Vinita and Chelsea ... All last 4 are on Route 66....duane

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  11. the-rodster

the-rodster

Attached Files:

12. Elrod

Elrod

Willhoites Restaurant in Grapevine, TX used to be an auto garage from 1919 - 1975. When they renovated it into a restaurant, the hydraulic lift that was installed in 1936 was still there, so they put a Model T on it, raised it up and then built their salad bar below it.

[​IMG]

13. Patdoody

Patdoody

I knew that looked familiar. I am to young to remember it as an actual sign, but I knew I saw it at flemmings. That place sure is a real life time capsule.

There are a few cars ontop of dirks junk yard too. I never thought to snap some photos.

Also Gary Barbaras Dodge dealership in northeast philadelphia has a charger or challenger or cuda or some mopar muscle car on the roof, I never took notice of exactly what it was.

14. Kelly's Auto Wrecking near Arlee Mt........

[​IMG]

15. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

2 from Lewiston Idaho, there used to be a boat too, but Its gone now.

Attached Files:

16. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

This is at a parking garage in Houston. Sorry about the bad pic, I took it on the go!

Attached Files:

17. 117harv

117harv

On the Oregon coast.

Attached Files:

18. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

This looks like the car at Lebanon Valley Drag Strip in NY.The wood fencing and light poles in the back ground are around the high bank dirt oval track My son raced here 2 weeks ago.The size of the place is deceptive from the street it's a big place.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That one is still up at 6th and Yale in the Houston Heights area of Houston TX.

20. Saw this in Terry, MT in 2008...

Attached Files:

21. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

Just down the road from me!!!!!

22. I have been to that place......killer ice cream and coffee! Cool use of an old truck too.

23. can't believe no one's put up a photo of the pickers nash! the second one's the ettahogah pub in new south wales. the story goes the truck was washed up onto the roof of the pub during a flood and nobody could be bothered to get it down:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

24. b-bop

b-bop

Shot this one somewhere around Libby Mt. Can't remember much as it was on the way home from B'Ville in '09 and I saw it at the last minute and just pointed the camera out the window and pulled the trigger.

Attached Files:

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Neat thread.I remember the Truly cars and trucks in Fl where I grew up.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Murdo’s iconic big green car sign crashes to the ground in June storm

July 25, 2011
    [​IMG]
    MURDO, S.D. – The town of Murdo mourns a loss.
    This loss is not one of its residents, but something just as beloved: Pioneer Auto Show’s big green car sign.
    On June 30, a massive storm blew through Murdo. Sustained 70 to 80 mph winds blew the iconic sign – which features a mock ’26 Nash – down on its side.
    “The steady winds for about an hour just destroyed the sign,” said David M. Geisler of the family-owned classic car museum.
    Murdo held an all-class reunion the July 4 weekend after the storm, and classmates couldn’t stop talking about the sign.
    “The town’s identity has been taken!” exclaimed one classmate.
    “We have to do whatever it takes to put the sign back up,” urged another classmate.
    Geisler said the show must go on. Plans are in the works to rebuild the sign. Pioneer Auto is working with sign companies, and the new sign should be finished by Labor Day.
    Pioneer Auto Show’s big green sign has been pointing people to Murdo and its classic car museum since 1972. The sign was erected that year in conjunction with the completion of Interstate 90.
    The famous big green car was added to the sign in 1981. To allow for more parking at the nearby Super 8 Motel, the sign was moved and rebuilt in 1993. That same year, a Daktronics reader board added to the sign. That too was destroyed in the June 30 storm.
    “The sign is so symbolic for the museum,” Geisler said. “The fact that the sign was located right at the I-90 exit has helped travelers to locate us over the years. The sign has put Murdo on the map.”

27. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Took this one somewhere in the Czech countryside. It is an old Skoda. Loosely translated, the sign means "Redeem shipping pallets".

Attached Files:

• 4x4.jpg
      4x4.jpg
      File size:
      476.4 KB
      Views:
  28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Jimi, that Lincoln was a '56, and it was white with a black roof. I'm trying to remember the dealer's name, somebody Moore, I think. It was painted red (with Aamco Transmissions?) sometime in the '80's, and taken down (I think) in the mid '90's. Always knew we were headed to Eastland when we passed it in the '60's.

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Me, too. I saw this model before I had seen pix of the actual sign. This mini-diorama was made by Ken Hamilton, a master model maker. Gary

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012