Register now to get rid of these ads!

What make is this flathead 6?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billywilly92, Oct 31, 2010.

1. billywilly92

billywilly92
    from Michigan

I have an industrial flathead 6 and I can't figure out what make it is. The pictures go in order. These are the only numbers and logo left on the head besides the firing order. There is also this code on the timing cover, kinds of a bad picture but its the best I could get. On the passenger side of the block I think it says f600 a82 and then underneath it is the same little logo that's on the head in the first pictyure. F1625 284 is on the back of something attached to what I think is the timing cover. Anyone know what this is?

Attached Files:

2. 1952henry

1952henry

Continental 226"?? Does it have a gear driven water pump, generator, etc.?

TCATTC likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

how about a couple pics of the entire engine?

4. billywilly92

billywilly92
    from Michigan

Everything up front is belt driven.

Attached Files:

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

the dizzy coming up throughthe head is a dead give away for continental. They were used a lot in Ag equipment like combines, self powered hay bailers, and lots of compressors and welders.

I believe the Ind units were referred to a s Red Seal. Kaiser Frazier and Jeep used them for vehicles in the 40's - 60's.

TCATTC and Scramboleer like this.
  6. 1952henry

1952henry

Cletrac used them in their AG crawlers circa 1940s. The reason I asked about the front accessories was that a friend has an AG crawler with one of these. If I remember correctly, his has the gear drive accessories. I think it has timing gears rather than the chain. He found out when he replaced the cam, wrong rotation!

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Looks like a governor controlled throttle attached to the front of the engine.

could have been stationary pump or something. Looks like normal rotation. Rule of thumb is stater in front of the flywheel automotive rotation, starter to the rear of the flywheel counter rotation.

8. 1952henry

1952henry

The crank was normal, but the cam went the other way.

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I mentioned the starter location to assist folks considering stationary and or marine engines for installation in cars, as many marine and some industrial applications rotated contrary to those installed in road vehicles. This applies to many of these though of course not 100%. But checking that rather than finding out you have found 1 speed forward and three or 4 in reverse after installing one might be an easier way to figure it out.

This is irrespective of the direction some of the internals are turning.

10. billywilly92

billywilly92
    from Michigan

So it's a continental and it's also normal rotation?

11. 73RR

73RR

The Continental is a great engine for a stationary power plant or a forklift...but not so much for other 'wheeled' vehicles.

Whats the plan?

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Anybody notice the "W" in the circle in the first set of pics posted? Looks like the Kaiser/Willys logo which one would expect on Continental 226's used by K-W. Possibly this engine was from a K-W application and used to replace an industrial Continental, which could account for the difference in accessory drive method.

In any case, they are rugged old flatties, not necessarily a ball of fire, but the mid 50's Kaisers used them with a McCulloch blower IIRC.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  13. billywilly92

billywilly92
    from Michigan

So it was made by continental for kaiser-willys? What did kaiser put them in?

I was planning on selling it because I have no use for it right now and I don't want it to just rust away outside. I have it for sale in the classifieds but no one has asked about it yet. Maybe Ill just take it all apart and put it in the garage so it doesn't rust or crack outside.

It sure would make a cool house generator. Or maybe a ford 8n swap.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Beautiful cars like this

[​IMG]

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

[quote="billywilly92, post: 5813607" So it was made by continental for kaiser-willys? What did kaiser put them in? QUOTE]

Kaiser and Frazer Cars of the late 40's thru the mid 50's in the US. Also Jeep Station wagons and Pickups thru '61 or '62 when they brought the Tornado 230 inch OHC 6 cyl. Don't know what they used in South America where Kaisers and Willys continued in production for some years longer.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Scramboleer likes this.
  16. billywilly92

billywilly92
    from Michigan

Wow so it went into some fancy cars compared to the orchard sprayer it was in. I wonder if its actually out of one of those or if it was originally put into the sprayer.

17. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Studebaker pickups used a Continental flat head 6 late 40s-early 50s about 80 hp best I remember!

18. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

these motors are still in demand if it wont do what you want it to put it up forsale you can prolly make enough from selling it to buy what you want

Scramboleer likes this.
  19. Willys used thier own 6 in the passenger cars, I have heard that Kaiser used Continentals. Willys used the "lightning" and "hurricane" names on Willys-produced motors in the 50's. The 226 was just a common displacement, the motors were not the same. I could be wrong, but that's the way I heard it. It's kind of hard to find people in the know on Willys stuff, even those of us who own them hear a lot of B.S. and wild guesses.....

Scramboleer likes this.
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think you are correct regarding the 'small' Willys 6 cyl 161 cubes and the 4 bangers. However, the Willys Station Wagons and Pickups used the 226 cubic inch Continental, no matter what it said on the head. And Kaiser, as stated previously also used the 226 Contis. For that matter, several other independent manufacturers over the 30's and 40' used various Continental engines in both trucks and cars.

However, I think the previous poster who said Studebaker used Continentals is incorrect about that.

Ray

Scramboleer likes this.
  21. Zerk

Zerk

Checker cab used flathead and overhead Continentals until '64 or so, whenever it was they switched to Chevy.
    Studebaker made their own flathead 6 in two sizes from the thirties to at least '49. They didn't need to buy any from outside, they were pretty good designs.

22. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

is it waukesha engine? (goes and looks)

23. greaseguns

greaseguns

my buddys 51 willys pickup has a hurricane in it and the dizzy come up thru the head just like the pix and mounts the same

24. That is a Continental engine.

25. billywilly92

billywilly92
    from Michigan

What a wealth of knowledge this forum is. I knew no history about this type of motor a couple days ago and now I know a lot. Thanks everyone.
    I wish I had a use for this motor but I don't and I don't want it to be left outside through the winter. I would love to sell it to someone who would actually need it.

I tried to find some info about waukesha engines and some of the info I found had a lot of engine codes starting with the letter F which is what mine starts with. I couldn't a picture to see where the distributor was located though.

26. Droppedhatch

Droppedhatch

Oh that is a continental I can't not count how many head gaskets that I have put on that kind of engine. There are in a lot of forklifts, and have a tendency to blow the head gaskets. And since I'm a forklift mechanic I have seen a lot of those. I see less and less of them each year, because the forklifts that they were used in are sent out to the scrap yards.

Shawn

27. billywilly92

billywilly92
    from Michigan

Is there any way to get them to stop blowing head gaskets? Rebuilding it wouldn't be to fun if it kept blowing head gaskets

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Right from the first picture i'de say Willys, jus because of the W cast into the head. That and Willys suppllied alot of equipment engines. But at this point in the thread you allready found that out.

oh well, better late than never

29. jroberts

jroberts

I don't think so. Studebaker used their own engines. I the late '40's and early '50's you had a choice of the Champion 6 which was 170 cu. in. or the Commander 6 which was 226 cu. in. for the earlier ones and later 246 cu. in.

30. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Definately a continental as others have stated. The old industrial ones had the updraft carb and the gear drive cam but the kaisers at least from 51 up had a down draft carb and a chain drive cam.