Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Ford Carson Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, I don't know how I missed this before as I always try to spot your build threads. I just keep getting more impressed with every photo and your descriptions of what you did and why. Subscribed.

2. PackRat42

PackRat42

I'm going to the Turkey Run this year just to see this car, so I hope to see it in person.

3. shoebox50

shoebox50

4. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

Very inspiring stuff!!! Would love to have access to a garage space like that to work on my Dodge! Mine's gonna take longer, but will be worth it!
    Keep posting your progress!

5. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

6. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

7. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

really cool build! can't wait to see more pictures

8. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I see how you did the area that meets the carson top with the top portion of the car from the A pillar to just behind the front door. But the picture below doesn't show how you put the bottom portion together just back of the package tray. If you have any photos showing the completion of the top in that area, that would be appreciated.

I think you've done a fantastic job on this top and I would like to learn from your experience. Keep up the good work. I look everyday for any updates. Thanks for sharing your experience.

[​IMG]

9. Yaril

Yaril

thank you all for the kind words! i am doing my best to get the car road worthy for the Daytona show. that will be my test drive for its future trip.

the motor is bout ready. decided to do a full rebuild...

[​IMG]

fresh back from my engine guy David...

[​IMG]

wasted no time to finish assembling the motor and mate it with the transmission. my pal Leo then came and helped me clean it up before he sprayed it with some black epoxy and followed by the color the car will be (color matched the maroon leather), the motor gets single stage paint, but the car will have base coat clear coat...

[​IMG]

lots and lots of body work going on along with small stuff. not real update / picture worthy. soon very soon the car will be getting into primer. only the grill opening is left to fabricate.

10. pregrid

pregrid

Wow, all this in seven months!

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

done example, but not as well done

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  12. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

Awesome build , beautiful car. awesome work

13. Great thread, more pictures of the top please

14. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Great thread....Would love to see more progress pics.

15. Yaril

Yaril

actually started "work" on July so its been about 4 months. :D

thanks everyone. there will plenty more pics to come!

quick update.

got some 1-1/2" pipe bent nicely to contour the side fenders. referencing Don Carrol's 49'.

[​IMG]

keeping the top tube level with the floating bars meant that the hood needed to be extended as well as all the hood insides where it will latch on to.

[​IMG]

we sprayed a guide coat to further block sand, couldnt help but tape the trim on for a better look.

[​IMG]

changed a few things on the dash, again. didnt like how the center looked without the radio and nothing in that space. so moved the key and headlight switch over and spaced them out to where i liked them. also added an aux power that faces down for a charger or any other do dat.

[​IMG]

we got most if not all of the engine bay removables along with the dash and its glove in primer. these will then get sanded down smoother still before actual color goes on anything.

[​IMG]

the trunk lid has also moved into primer stage. it too will be further sanded and smoothed out before the final paint goes on.

[​IMG]

more to come.

16. Come on, come on. Do it. I'm dying to see this thing done. Maybe you will just have to stop working on anything else till you finish this. You would feel real bad if I passed away and never got to see this finished.

17. ACESOFSUEDE

ACESOFSUEDE

killer build mate. looking forward to seeing it finished

18. Yaril

Yaril

thanks guys!

while the time pressure is starting to settle in, i decide to take the body off the frame one more time. this time its to install the motor and trans without risking a scratch and to go ahead and spray the firewall as best as possible. so here is were its at as off tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. howco

howco

Love it...........

20. RIBONES

RIBONES
    from DAGO ca

watching this build makes me as stoked as if it was my own car. id be as pleased to meet you as some young girl would be to meet a movie star. cool shit man!

21. I too hope to meet you one day sir.

22. frankthetank62

frankthetank62

5 gold stars my friend!

23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

This is an awesome build. I met a guy today who worked for Amos Carson in the late '40s. I told him people are still big fans of Carson tops, he was suprised as hell that i knew what he was talking about. haha

24. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

You definitely one motivated person. WOW!

25. Rik, do you know what model the hub caps came off of on the Korean Custom ? I would like to find a set... thanks Rob

26. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

lookin good. keepin an eye on this one. do you have any further back pics of the grill area as it is now? ...keep it up and keep the updates coming!

27. Yaril

Yaril

wow! any chance he has some old pics or anything he could share with us!?

thanks for all the kind words everyone. and yeah im definitely a motivated person. i wish there were more hours in the day to do this stuff.

tonight we (my pal Leo) got the car up to primer. there is still lots of work to do before any color goes on the car so dont expect the next update to show a painted car. now come all the small details that we find in primer, getting all the jambs; doors, hood & trunk real nice and clean plus the complete car will be block sanded as flat as possible. ill perhaps test fit the trim and bumpers too. so it looks really close but its not there yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. csclassics

csclassics

Coming along nicely!! Love the top!!

29. towaholic

towaholic
    from Rogers, mn

Any shots of your door latch setup?

30. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Looking good! Are you going to use the stock side trim? Or will you find something else cool to put on her?