Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Mopar not charging

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparkevin, Oct 10, 2009.

1. moparkevin

moparkevin

I have a 49 dodge meadowbrook that is not charging.. I tested the generator by motoring it and it turned over.. I think that the reg is new.. and I tried to polarize it.. It still doesn't charge, so I am asking for help.. I looked through the post and tried directions on polarizing and checking the gen..still not charging.. Any words of wisdom? thanks.

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Do you have a wiring diagram with generator internals shown? If so post it so that we can give you more advice. Need to know how the field is wired internally, then you can bypass the regulator to see if it is wiring from reg to gen. Try checking the wiring first, to the reg and from the gen. Sounds like that is where the issue is.

3. moparkevin

moparkevin

I will find one, scan it an post it..

4. moparkevin

moparkevin

All that I can find is a exploded gen, and a D30 wiring diagram. I can not fint a exploded gen wiring diagram..

5. RDR

RDR

Your Dodge is a positive ground; just checking to make sure you're battery is hooked up correctly.....

6. moparkevin

moparkevin

yes it is a + ground.. but when i got it it was hooked up - ground, so I looked at the wiring diagram and hooked it up right... no charge ... ? help!

7. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Did you measure it? What voltage are you getting? Have you load tested your battery, regardless of age?

I had a problem that could easily have appeared to be a charging problem, but the battery was just a bit too old. Even the static charge appeared to be 12.5V, but it could not produce any current to crank and it would not charge.

(this happened last weekend and I should fricking know better..........;) )

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Did it charge when it was a negitive ground? I hooked my 37 up backwards and it wouldn't charge......the voltage reg was pissed

9. moparkevin

moparkevin

Thanks, I will try what you said tonight.. and get back to you..

10. moparkevin

moparkevin

Time sucks/ don't have much... well I found out that tit is externally grounded through the regulator, now I must find the serial number on it..

11. moparkevin

moparkevin

All this time off.. I think I have a bad regulator.. it starts up and runs then after about ten minutes dies out.. I did the arm to batt on the voltage reg. still don't charge, even checked it with a voltmeter.... hope it's not the generator..

12. moparkevin

moparkevin

I think that I found the problem... I think. I took a wire from the + on the battery to the Arm side of the generator with a volt meter on the battery, and it charges again...so far. I never get my hopes up..

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

simple test. Run a jumper wire from the field terminal ( the smaller one) to ground and run the engine at 1200 rpm of so. If the amp gauge pegs to full charge the genny is OK and the fault is wiring or regulator related.

Don;t leave the jumper on longer than necessary to conduct the test.

If the genny tests OK then check your connections.

Also a car withthe battery installed with neg ground will show a discarge on the amp meter when in relaity it is charging.

14. moparkevin

moparkevin

Hell yeah, thanks I will give it a go.. now if I could do something about the body,, ha. thanks again,,

15. moparkevin

moparkevin

Bang.. back in the +
    thanks.