Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bracing for a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood470, Oct 31, 2010.

1. wood470

wood470

How much bracing do I need to do to cut the top and chop on a 29 sedan. Some of the pictures I see so much bracing it looks like pickup stiks in there. Others seem to have none at all. It doesn't seem to me that thr stock top adds much if any strength to the whole structure.

2. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

More is better, to keep the liberated sheetmetal from going BOIIIIING when you lop off the top. It'll help keep things where they belong and squared up when you re-install the top.

3. across the door openings , across the B pillars and then triangulate that so it doesn't rack and you should be fine

4. mopar210

mopar210

whats up wood470. when i chopped my top (1st time and im no body man) i used a piece of 1x3 between the b pillars (see pics) i was warned this would not be enough , but im pretty bull headed , and i continued with the chop (4 1/2") i cut the top and re attached by the hammer welding route . it all worked out well in the end , and i had little to no movement in the structure . good luck with your chop . todd

Attached Files:

5. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I have & will again chop/take off the door tops then tack the doors to the body as well as all of the bracing. There is never enough extra insurance for sagging sheetmetal when cutting it apart.

6. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

I just got done re-aligning my A coupe body. bought the body with some makeshift floor structure and the body was mis-aligned a little. But it loose to do it right and you wouldn't believe how much the bodies move. Have an entire weekend wrapped up in that (and a lot of curse words) Brace everything, the more the better. Its easier to tack in braces and cut the welds and grind than it is to try and realign everything...

7. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Also I always like to have the body bolted to the chassis frame so there won't be any surprises later. It sucks jacking a body back into shape to fit after it's cut apart. Measure twice cut once.

8. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Good advice above.
    It's just good insurance to put in more than you need, just tack weld it in places that are easy to cut back off.
    I also left the doors on and chopped the body and the doors at the same time just make sure the doors are lined up good.
    Take your time and don't get in a hurry.