Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hard to believe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob37, Oct 31, 2010.

1. It's hard to believe scenes like this this still exist today, even in New Jersey.
    I took a ride in my '37 coupe today to enjoy some fall foliage and found this deserted gas station/tavern in Belvedere NJ.
    Now I have visited this location in the past ( at least 10-12 years ago), but it amazed me that it was still unmolested from the last time I saw it and no one stole the old gas pumps or the old Coke Cola sign.
    I will check on it again in 2020-22 and report back to you all again, the good Lord willing.:cool:;)

Attached Files:

2. Thats an awesome looking place. I would like to own a place like that and keep the old pumps and sign just for the nostalgia reasons. I would also love to have your car, but I'm sure that is also out of the question.

3. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I go by there all the time. It's about 7 miles from me.
    I think the last time it was open it was a bar... called "Mondo's" :D
    I agree, it would be a cool place to own.

4. Never2low

Never2low

That's one of the coolest thing I've seen recently! (I saved pic #1, hope you don't mind.) Crazy to believe those pumps haven't gone M.I.A. being that close to the road. I wonder how much is owed in back taxes? County would probably settle for a reasonable sum. Sure would make a cool hang-out/garage.:cool:

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

And I went to Rutt's Hut this afternoon:D

6. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

That is a cool place and just the kind of cruise destination I dig. I really hope it's fate isn't sealed now that it's been published on the net.
    Love your coupe BTW.

7. Awesome! It seems amazing that places like this can still be found. Thanks for the pics!

8. Greasers C.C.

Greasers C.C.
    from Philly

Very cool stuff.

9. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Beautiful car and perfect for where it was sitting......

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

We've got a couple of old stations like that around here. Sure makes for some great photo ops.

Frank

11. Movie studios have people who scour the country looking for places like that to film stuff.

12. Darned gas pump aint even rusty

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I was waiting for the sound truck for the Mercury Theater to pull up behind your car.

"This confirms earlier reports received from American observatories. Now, nearer home, comes a special announcement from Trenton, New Jersey. It is reported that at 8:50 P. M. a huge, flaming object, believed to be a meteorite, fell on a farm in the neighborhood of Grovers Mill, New Jersey, twenty-two miles from Trenton.
    The flash in the sky was visible within a radius of several hundred miles and the noise of the impact was heard as far north as Elizabeth.
    We have dispatched a special mobile unit to the scene, and will have our commentator, Carl Phillips, give you a word description as soon as he can reach there from Princeton. In the meantime, we take you to the Hotel Martinet in Brooklyn, where Bobby Millette and his orchestra are offering a program of dance music. "

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is Carl Phillips again, at the Wilmuth farm, Grovers Mill, New Jersey. Professor Pierson and myself made the eleven miles from Princeton in ten minutes. Well, I . . . I hardly know where to begin, to paint for you a word picture of the strange scene before my eyes, like something out of a modern "Arabian Nights." Well, I just got here. I haven't had a chance to look around yet. I guess that's it. Yes, I guess that's the . . . thing, directly in front of me, half buried in a vast pit. Must have struck with terrific force. The ground is covered with splinters of a tree it must have struck on its way down. What I can see of the . . . object itself doesn't look very much like a meteor, at least not the meteors I've seen. It looks more like a huge cylinder. It has a diameter of . . . what would you say, Professor Pierson?"

PIERSON: I don't know what to think. The metal casing is definitely extraterrestrial . . . not found on this earth. Friction with the earth's atmosphere usually tears holes in a meteorite. This thing is smooth and, as you can see, of cylindrical shape

PHILLIPS: Just a minute! Something's happening! Ladies and gentlemen, this is terrific! This end of the thing is beginning to flake off! The top is beginning to rotate like a screw! The thing must be hollow!

Happy Halloween folks.

14. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I remember it being a bar. But I can not remember when it closed.

15. Rutt's is also a very nostalgic place to visit.
    Menu attached is from 1951.

Attached Files:

16. Deuces

Deuces

H.G. Wells War Of The Worlds??? :)

17. roddinron

roddinron

Like JackdaRabbit said, I hope this posting isn't the nail in it's coffin.
    Cool place, and a very cool coupe.

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, here's mine.

Attached Files:

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, but yours is someting you mocked up in your yard. In no way does it represent anything that ever existed.

Nice enough ,but what he posted is an original piece of area history and way way more cool.

20. pitman

pitman

Maybe Bob's inspired it, Eh?

21. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I KNOW! Just keeping it rolling.

22. Did you get any gas?...lol

23. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got plenty, beans for breakfast!!!!

24. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

"Waht in tarnation!.... Dagnabbit .. 'nother one of them city slickers out by the ol
    fillin' station...Ma, fetch me my shootin iron !"

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  25. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Yea the way people are today , it's a surprise that it's not been trash by a bunch of assholes already . Well I hope it still stays safe for another 30+ years so someone else can stop by and enjoy the way things use to be with a few good pictures too !
    That would really make a good place for a photo shoot . The old untouched gas station , weeds and fall weather really looks good like it use to be .
    I guess you are going to have to keep an eye on the place now ! Keep driving by now and then !

Retro Jim

26. lawman

lawman

Very nice !!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

27. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine this morning .

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hahahaha, good one. :D

29. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Thanks a lot for reminding me of RUTTS HUT, i would almost litteraly kill fom one of them dogs now, my parents fist date was there and my grandfather used to take me there all the time, its propably been close to 20 years since ive been there,