Register now to get rid of these ads!

firetruck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevygirlTexas, Oct 31, 2010.

1. chevygirlTexas

chevygirlTexas

My new find today and possibly another project for me. 59 Ford (oh yes I said Ford the bad word). It would have been bought today if it were a Chevy. Out running errands today by myself and saw it in a field and stopped to ask about it. The guy is willing to sell for $1200. It runs, needs brakes and has about 15,000 original miles on it! It had 3 owners, originally came from Carswell Base and was built in San Antonio. The current owner retired several years back as a fire chief in Hurst for 30 + years. He said I don't have time and just lost interest. Anyway I love unique vehicles and this sure fits that criteria. Seriously thinking about it.

Attached Files:

2. PlyPals

PlyPals

As a fire fighter I would say: go for it! ;-)

3. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I very nearly bought a '66 Chevy firetruck at the charlotte Auto Fair about 12 years ago (they wanted like $3500). 396, 4 speed, great original paint (just a little thin in places from buffing)...and similar mileage. I figured it would cause a divorce at the time. I should have done it...wound up divorced anyway, without a big block fire truck.

4. Chevygirltexas, you say FORD here all you want, remember, when driving a FORD---- you never need a "good wrench" ;) BDM.

5. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

[​IMG]
    my grand uncle has this 57 sitting in his back yard

6. that's cool you should get it, make it into an RV or something.. and hey if your die hard Chevy... stick a Chevy motor or something in it...

7. AK F100

AK F100
    from Alaska

Me too....

I'm hoping to find an old Fire Truck to play with after I get my daily driver done.

8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool go for it. But then i am confused i want to put a Hemi in a Chevy.:D

9. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

I thought it was found:) on road DEAD:eek:

10. friends never let friends drive Fords.;)

Chevygirl

Ford isn't like the F bomb, its just considered to be lower class english in some circles. But my question is are you into parades? I mean unless you are a volenteer fireman (I've been one BTW, more than once) what are you really going to use a fire truck for?

I'm just askin'.

11. nathanhager

nathanhager

too bad it's not a TRUCK COMPANY! i guess you could lose the pump and make it one....
    i always have to fight the urge to buy an old firetuck. the best two worlds combined......firefightin' and truckin'!
    gopher it!

12. milkmankael

milkmankael

We had a 62 Chevy firetruck. We took the water tank out of it & were planning to use it as a super sized pickup. I always wanted to go buy firewood at $50 per pickup load with it.

Kael

13. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I work for a fire dept. here in Oregon. In the last few years, we have "thinned out the fleet." Most of our equipment is extremely low mileage and has spent their entire lives in heated storage. Most engines will have an hour meter as well as an odometer. This equipment will see few miles with alot of run time. The problem is that nobody wants it. We have sold '69 Ford 4wd brush engines with slip-in pumps (less than 40K miles) for $2500. There are websites that are dedicated to old fire equipment. Most of which you can get for a real bargain. As previously stated, if you want big and crazy, look for ladder trucks. The older versions can be seriously cool. Just my .02

-Mitch

14. cool....do it....

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Love those old firetrucks.....I too would buy it.
    Many folks do not understand though that the low miles is only on the running gear.
    Most of those old gals pumped in 4th or 5th (top) gear, so there are many many more miles (hours) on engine and trans. :eek:
    Also they were started up cold and run hard....(I know, as I drove them as a fireman for many years !!)
    Let us know what you do......nothing wrong with Fords!!
    Cheers,
    Bob

16. Here is my Chevy. 1959 with a 348. It could be yours.:D

[​IMG]

And here is my 48 Ford:

[​IMG]

17. And what does any of this have to do with hotrods or customs??????? Delete this post. Unless you are building a vintage wheelstander out of the this thing or chopping it up into something cool than I say shove off. Just because its an old vehicle with wheels doesn't make it appropriate to post. Come on. Some ouf you people think this is a general everybody likes old cars board. Narrow your focus a little McFly. Firetrucks? Come on. Next thing you know you will be showing pictures of dumptrucks, roadgraders and Greyhound buses. Please. Some of you are just too tolerant. Now----------- Back to are previously programmed hotrod board.Thank you for your patience.

18. Spooky

Spooky

If i am not mistaken, the heavy duty rigs had a pretty stout super duty 292. Including the ram's horn exhaust manifolds.

19. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

You need to snag that one for sure!

20. milkmankael

milkmankael

Curbspeed, Sorry to disappoint you but firetrucks can be very useful resources for hotrods or customs. Besides, just because a thread is started doesn't mean you are required to read it.

As was said previously, many heavy duty trucks still come with stout, RUNNING engines. If you feel like stripping parts off of one, the cabs are the same as a 1/2 ton pickup all the way to the mid 70s. Most firetrucks spent a lot of time in heated storage leaving them less rusty than most 1/2 tons. Some departments & the railroads used 6 passenger cabs that were coachbuilt. Sure would save a lot of work if you're planning a crewcab build. Others were topless or would it still be appropriate to call it a roadster truck cab? Some of them were equipped with dual spotlights, but I suppose you wouldn't want those on a 49-51 Merc since they came off of a firetruck, right? Some of the clearance lights vaguely similar to 39 Ford taillights with just a little more depth. A lot of the headlights are sought after T-3s. Did you know that the factory hood scoop on Pontiac Super Duty race cars in the 60s originally came from Ford heavy duty trucks? I've seen a few water trucks that used Stewart Warner guages on the pump control panels.

Without much modifaction, these trucks make excellent car haulers (with plenty of built in storage areas). Since many of them are equipped with a pto, you can put a super strong winch on them instead of the water pumps.
    Kael

21. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Ok enough.................. Here is my fire truck turned into a coupe. Ray in OR

Attached Files:

22. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

As a firefighter who works on and maintains this stuff, I think your nuts. We have sold several that were in excellent shape but taken out of service in favor of newer equipment or donated equipment for $1500 or less. If you want a fire truck, look around. The last one we sold was a 1975 pumper in excellent working order with a recent spit shine and $1500 worth of pump repair for $1000.

23. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Fucking sharp.

Firetrucks are like ambulances....cool as shit to look at, but unless you're a parade geek or something, what are you going to do with it? I'd love to have one, but realistically, building and showing tractors was a drain enough.

24. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

If you prefer a Chevrolet, then give it a little time and a little looking and find an old Viking truck.

Just make sure you french the headlights, chop it, and put 97s on it to make it a hot rod/custom:)

25. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

26. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have just bought a 56 F750 fire truck that was sitting next to the crusher.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The cab is worth the money that I paid for it! Absolutely no rust! The only thing that doesn&#8217;t work are the tail lights, not much of a project there.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I am thinking on making a very large pick up out of it. I think that my 55 F100 would fit into it nicely with a few handy aluminum ramps

27. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a couple of pics from a sweet lady friend of mine that she took at a museum.... Sorry for the fuzzy images..

Attached Files:

28. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Cool truck, but after I retired with 31+ years of service in the fire dept. I don't think I want one. Still cool tho....go for it.

29. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Is there a build thread on this???