Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 Falcon as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thedivision, Oct 31, 2010.

1. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

I'm looking at this '61 to get around town in. I can pick it up for around $1800. What do you guys think?

It's got an older paint job with some rubbers painted over. Manual steering and brakes, auto trans. 200ci inline 6 from a 63-64. Runs and drives, just needs some minor brake work.

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. are you aking if its a good idea??? I dont see why not, I had a 64 with the same motor and trans and it got me around just fine..... it was a bitch to fire up in the cold though.

3. studemisfit

studemisfit

i dont daily my 62 merc yet but i drive it often to run errands and stuff. I just parked it for the winter yesterday as all the salt they use here is murder. if its solid and well sorted then you can just iron out and make improvements as needed. by the way thats a killer price as down my way they are going up in price big time.

4. I drove my 62 Ranchero with a 200/C4 combo as a daily for about 3 years then sold it to an employee who used it for another year, then I bought it back and used it for another 6 months before it went to Michigan.
    I would upgrade the brakes to disc's with a Scarebird kit and drive it anywhere!

5. Moondog13

Moondog13

It would be sitting in my driveway right now. :D

6. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

Is the price right for the car and condition?

The only significant flaws I can see are the front bench seat, overspay-galore paint job, little nicks here and there, chrome kind of dull, and it needs minor brake work.

7. squirrel

squirrel

price sounds reasonable, the paint is probably suitable for a car like that, that isn't worth a whole lot no matter how nice it is.

If the minor brake work it needs is really minor, then it could be a reasonable car to drive around. Keep in mind that it was about the cheapest car you could buy in 1961, it's not a luxury or performance car.

8. 41fordor

41fordor

They are great around town. Mine starts easy even when cold and gets good gas mileage. Three point seat belts are a must, I added lap belts for now but that metal dash looks like a tooth eater.

Biggest problem is most 144/170 equipped cars are going to have original 3.50 rear end and top out at about 60 mph. If it's been upgraded to a 200 you could swap a Maverick/Granada rear in with a lower gear ratio and cruise all day on the highway. I just stay on the back roads and around town.

9. Mattilac

Mattilac

10. milkmankael

milkmankael

Brake parts may be somewhat annoying to get. Your local parts house will typically carry for 65 & later. Other than that, I wouldn't have any major concerns.

I used my 64 Falcon as my daily driver for 1 1/2 yrs before selling it. In that time, I racked up almost 30,000 miles. A lot of those miles came from many 200 - 300 mile one-way trips. It had a 170 cu in 6 with a 3 on the tree. A rebuilt carb & a block heater prevented starting problems in the Wisconsin winters. (I actually had to use it jump start my company truck a few winter mornings). Obtaining brake parts seemed to be the only annoyance I had. That took a couple of weeks to get everything I needed. I also went through a lot of fuel filters during the first month. It sat in a field along side a dirt road for about 15 yrs before I got it. I still regret selling that car since it was the most dependable vehicle I ever owned.

Kael

11. 62rebel

62rebel

yeah, you have to be careful as the days aren't the same as they were in '61. back in those days, mornings came earlier and nights were longer.

12. milkmankael

milkmankael

My 64 with the 3 speed also had no trouble keeping up with traffic on the interstates. When I first got it, it had trouble getting out of the way of its own shadow. Fresh tune-up & clean fuel filters seemed to solve those problems.
    Kael

13. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

For a northern car, that sure looks rust-free. Have you checked for major bondo? Pretty paint may be to hide some nasty areas.

If you really liked the car, toss a T5 behind it, it would totally transform it.

14. eric

eric

had a '63 futura that served daily driving duties for about 2 years? about 60+ miles a day 5 days a week. ran fine only reason it didnt stay with me longer was because a woman hit me and totaled it.

i have had my '63 ranchero factory v8 car be my daily for the past 8 years now and it has been driven to the round up in TX, nor cal and all around southern california every single day and yet to have any problems.

15. XM_HADDY

XM_HADDY

if it was me I'd jump at the chance to buy it, i drive an Aussie 1964 XM Falcon Ute everyday i'm sure there is always a better car but it comes down to what you want, and what your happy with.

16. wood470

wood470

Great little cars. My brother and sister shared one in high school and I rebuilt the engine one weekend for $35. I'm sure you couldn't do that now but they were one of the first economy cars. Can't get more basic except for the auto trans. I don't imagin they cost that much brand new,sounds like a lot to me.

17. fourforeverfours

fourforeverfours
    from CA

I had a 64 Falcon Ranchero w/260/4spd and it was dependable as hell. The only exception was the front end. Weak, and the earlier Falcons were noted for even a more weak front end. Just stay out of the pot holes and don't drive over or off of curbs and you'll have a decent daily driver that's economical.

18. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

Not sure if they are geared the same as Australian ones but mine is cool as a daily except it hates hills. Check the paint is covering up some major bondo and if its cool buy it - they are fun rides.

19. 57J2

57J2

I drive an Econoline with a 240, and the only problem is getting up to speed on the on ramp to the Interstate. Trying to shoot the gap on a busy morning can get me stretching second a little further than I like.

20. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Remember - back in 1961 it WAS a daily driver. Kids, groceries and all. Only real difference now - if it mechanicaly as sound as it was - is that EVERYTHING out there stops faster than the Falcon can. Leave room to stop and all is good.

21. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I had a 63 rust killed it, as they had no frame. Check around the front end for rust. I drove mine to the junk yard!

22. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Why not? My 64 Acadian is my daily driver around town in the spring/summer. Not sure what your winter's are like in your part of Canada. Not much snow here, but lots of rain. I park mine in the winter months. Go for it.

23. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

It seems that we're all agreed that it'll make a good DD. Is a 4 door in this condition worth $1800? I'd like to be able to resell and not lose money in a couple years.

24. Had a '65 Mercury Comet with the same running gear as this Falcon. The 200 has more get up and go that the 144 or the 170, so you'll like it better with this engine. Pretty simple and basic car for local running around. If the engine and trans is strong and it's not rusted apart. This is a unit body car with no subframe assemblies, so rust is more than a cosmetic issue. Rust on these cars can quickly become a safety issue with problems like suspension collapsing with you going down the road. Before you buy it, get it up on a lift where you can get under it and check for rust damage on floors and points where suspension components are attached. Rusted out front spring towers sent a lot of these cars to the junkyard.

25. Remember: the BEST way to make a little money dealing with cars is to start with a LOT of money.

In other words, don't buy it if you want to make money, because you won't.

Plus, in my humble opinion, sixties Ford brakes are criminally bad, even more on that car, as they are only 9 inch drums. Everything else out there has ABS, most with four discs, and they ALL drive like everyone else can stop as good as they can. Upgrade to discs. If you swap the rear, upgrade to discs.

Oh, yeah, I've had every Ford on offer for '65 - '66. All were bad, T'bird was just on barely acceptable for braking.

Cosmo

26. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

My son's daily driver is a 61 Falcon, 170 ci six with a C4. It has a power front disk brake kit on it as well. The brakes seem to take a lot of effort, I think that the small six may not generate enough vacuum to be very effective. Something I have to look at. Aside from a starter problem its been a good solid runner.

27. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Yeah, I've had several, they are good little cars, drove a '65 Ranchero a bunch, very handy little vehicle!

28. warren1328

warren1328

Get on it.
    I use my Aus XP Falcon wagon as a daily. Has never let me down yet.
    Brake upgrade is a good thing though.

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

My '61 Futura is my daily driver. It has no problem doing it, although an improvement in braking ability would be welcome (I have the Scarebird brackets waiting).

I'd have cheerfully paid $1800 for that Fordor (especially if it's really got a 200), but couldn't find one.

-Dave

30. yardgoat

yardgoat

I like it,cool 4 dr !!!!! As far as money goes its your money ,if you want it do it, its your bussiness.Every car ive ever bought ,a friend or ? would always know where there is one worth double and sells for less than half of the one i got.Im a mopar guy but always likes the Merk,s and falcons,stang ect.Brakes cant be that high priced even at $200.00 for brakes i still like it and 200 should more than do it from scratch.Good luck.....zoom,zoom,zoom...........FAR AS HARD STARTING IN WINTER HOOK UP A CHOKE................YG