Register now to get rid of these ads!

Road trip gone bad..blown motor in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV8Paul, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Paul,... sorry to hear this...hope it can be worked out

Jeff

2. djlifter

djlifter
    from oklahoma

Call me. Danny. 918 629-5080

3. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Man that sucks,Good luck hope things work out for ya!

4. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

thats really sucks! the 355 in my burb blew up last year on me. but at least i was only 5 miles away from home.

5. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

i'm curious to know exactly what happened. do you have an oil press gauge or light? did you run it dry? any chance of flushing the engine, adding new oil and limping it home? do you have compression? is it knocking?

6. Best of luck to you. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I agree with staying off the interstates..America is beautiful, especially the small towns and rural country side.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  7. kulturekat

kulturekat
    from oklahoma

hey man im in stillwater ok if you need a trailer and want to store the car up here ive got a big shop you can store it in. and get the work done here if you need.

8. Dave50

Dave50

Paul if I can do anything for you when you get back let me know Dave

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

AV8Paul Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Slick Willy [​IMG]
    Apparently mines a few studs short for the "in" crowd!!:rolleyes::D
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I ran a fairly hot 21 studder til I smoked it in '07. Had her rebuilt last Winter. She'll find her way back in the roadster, one of these days. I like the early FH's. Screw the "in crowd."

Apparently "she" heard you talking!:( I hope everything goes smoothly for you from here, Paul!

10. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Man, I know better than to talk about these machines. They do have a soul and apparently, they hear quite well, too. Pay backs are a bitch. Live and learn.

A plan is coming together for transportaion to AZ. A loaner or rent to own FH, is being arranged, as I type.

11. Hey Paul:

If you need any flathead parts to get you home, let me know . . . will be happy to lend a hand (though I'm on Ohio!).

Dale

12. vdubjim

vdubjim
    from OKC

friend down the street from me here in OKC, shoebox ford might have something you need. Not crazy far from mcalester and im sure on your way to AZ down 40, he is 3 min off the highway ny tinker AFB

13. djlifter

djlifter
    from oklahoma

Paul, this is Danny from Tulsa. Is your plan lookin good ??

14. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Danny,

So far so good. I'm waiting for the guy's call back. He said he'd call me this morning with an approx arrival time. I have your number if this doesn't pan out. Thanks again for your offer.
    See you in Scottsdale at Good Guys.
    Paul

15. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Sounds like fun to me! I love it when a plan comes together. Sometimes I hate the computer age but this is living proof it is a good thing. Good luck with your repairs.

16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Paul,
    I just noticed that you are near McAlester. Been there a bunch of times in the late '80s for work at the Army base. Good steaks in that area by the way, but stay away from the lamb fries!! ;-p
    Paul

17. sassaquinn

sassaquinn

Paul, Sorry to hear the news. Hope it all works out.

18. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Hey this is a simple on the road fix,its only a rod bearing, Obsolete Ford parts is in OKC they could next day air you a bearing. Drop the pan, pull out the offending bearing , polish the crank with some fine emery paper from the local hardware store. When the bearing arrives slam it in, button it up and you are good to go. Remember to check your oil level every fuel stop. Its a flat head it will run on one cylinder.

19. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Dick,
    Thanks for your suggestion, but If you could hear the noise coming from the engine, I think you'd agree there's more going on than a bad bearing. It sounds like a broken connecting rod. Or a couple of bricks in a washing machine.

The good samaritan, who's taking the car to AZ, for me, is on his way. I'll post pictures of what I find when I get it apart in AZ.

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

paul, glad this seems to be working out. you have the right attitude. i know you'll be fine. glad marge is still in good spirits too.

she's probably thinking, "now we finally get to drive a car with windows!"

21. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I think, she'll be happier not using ear plugs.

22. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Hey Paul , Broken connecting rod only knocks once. Plus if it was a broken connecting rod you could see it! Hope everything works out.

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

Hey Paul. Bummer deal on the flatty. But sounds like you've got a plan. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

24. Mike

Mike

Hey ya Paul, I'll see you when you get out here. Be sure and let me know if there is anything more I can do to help.

25. gonzo

gonzo

Bummer. Must have been all that hot footing around Bonneville trying to impress the Wendover girls. How many miles on that flatty now?

26. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Can't think of any more you could do. Not after arranging the loaner engine.
    Paul

27. pitman

pitman

Paul,
    Thanks for letting us in HAMB-land know how it's working out, we'll be in your corner.

28. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, wouldn't the wendover lovelys be impressed now? haha

She had a little over 22K. Way too few miles. Although, they weren't easy miles.

29. gonzo

gonzo

She'll be nice and fresh for our return trip in 2012!

30. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Bummer Paul....... Sure hope things work out in a good way. Never fun to break down, but at least you are in something that means a lot to you and not something you kick to the curb and go on. Those are the worst. At least this is like helping a friend back on his feet.

Good luck and keep us posted................