Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Melzo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

What degree of angle do you put the kingpin at on a gasser straight axle setup?

2. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

3. pitman

pitman

Lucky number, think positive!

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Add a couple more degrees, if it is strictly a drag car... 9 - 10 degrees....

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

6. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Drag Racing - at least 10 degrees

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

If you're using leaf springs - remember to figure your angle with the springs LOADED.

8. rooman

rooman

Seven should do the trick for the strip. Most current "big show" funny cars run that or a little less.

Roo

9. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Are you asking about Caster or Camber angles or both and what spindles and axle are you using I assume it's parellel leaf springs? This has all been discussed on here before.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, are you building an axle or mounting an axle?

As the guys said, the norm for caster on a straight or I beam axle setup on a rig like that is 7 degrees positive. And that is with the the vehicle set up the way it is going to run with the weight sitting on the tires.

11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

7 for street car, 10 for a strip only car.

12. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Thanks for all the input so far guys. To answer some questions, its a 48" speedway setup with chevy spindles and parallel leafs. I'm going to have the wheel more toward the front of the wheelwell, but that doesnt affect the kingpin angle, right? I finally decided to turn the 51 into a gasser. Im not radiusing the rear wheelwells and I know a lot of you dont agree with that but whatever. I like them both ways, but I like uncut better. So if I plan to try the car at the track, should I set that angle somewhere in between?
    If someone can tell me how to post the big pics for a build thread, I'll start one. A couple friends and I already have a lot of the work done and Ive got a few pics. I cant wait to drive it cause here in Reno during this years Hot August Nights, there were only three or four gassers that I saw all week long. And a couple were trailer queens. Lame. The 51 is my daily driver and I plan to do so unless its cold or snowy. Heres a before pic and an after sneek peek. Is there a link to instructions about posting big pics?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  13. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I just wanted to make sure we were all talking about the same things sometimes guys ask this question when they are thinking of making some wierd spindle work on a homeAxle. As those above have already stated 7 degrees and it should run good for a daily driver that is pretty much the standard. You are actually setting the caster at 7 degrees (which is basically in your case the King Pin Angle) as long as your not running some wierd long shackles.

14. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Thanks. 7 it is I guess. I'd like to do a build thread, but I dont know how to post the bug pics. When I put up pics they come out as attached thumbnails. ?

15. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Good luck with your build. I use a photobucket account and copy and paste the IMG Code directly to the message. After I edit the pics on photobucket, I resize them to large so their not too big.

16. <<<<< 4-5 degrees on mine. Steers and drives fine for the last 5 years and 10,000 miles plus!