Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Cheap-Joe,
    Found out the 68' Road Runner general info.
    June 1968, the E/S minimum was 12.70
    June 1968, the E/SA National Record was 12.79

Now if the 383/335 HP rating was set at a fair 300HP, the car would have been
    classed in H/Stock.
    June 1968, the H/S National Record was 12.92
    Not really that much of a difference.

I'll post that other performance result info for you later.
    PC

2. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Yeah, I'm very pleased with them.
    Call Eric @ 866-513-2743 I know he'll treat you right!

I saved quite a bit buying them from him over the quoted costs from both summit & jegs; and he might be able to have them drop shipped directly from InterCo to you, so that would save you some freight also. (InterCo is in LA). FYI - The pair came compressed / side to side and then shrink wrapped together as one package).

These would be bitch'n on your Biscayne also!!!

Larry

3. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I was always a small block racer. Parts were cheap and I raced anything I could get and build ..cheap. I worked in an engine shop for over 10 years.....so machine work was mostly free. In the mid 80's I had 3 engines at one time. They were all mostly SS type engines as I ran SS/JA with my '69 Camaro for a couple seasons....Flatop SS type pistons......stock bottom ends and heads. Roller cams......Holly carb......I sold my Camaro and bought a Vega in 1985. Wanted to go faster and run S/G. Blew up all 3 of my smallblocks over a season or two and one was a brand new 383. I lost a bearing and broke it bad......I saw how well big blocks held up so I put one together for myself.....They held up way better than any small block and they had stock parts. I had one engine laying around for close to 20 years and sold the block a few years ago......Stock BB engines could make well over 600 hp with no issues.........I run a 509 in my dragster now and that is a midget by todays standards.....When I raced the LT-1 Stocker a few years ago.....that was the first small block race engine I had in 20+ years...It was pretty strong but no big block!!!

4. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

I'm In!!

But the hardest part of this deal would be the rules and the enforcement of those rules....

That's why we have such a "cluster" in the nhra / ihra stock classes.

X-Tech Man, Ain't I Right?

We need a 'Farmer!'

Larry

5. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

6. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

What do you guys think of this one? This was a running car, albeit very badly. when I bought it two months ago. Gave it a tune up and it runs awesome. Car has headers into Thrush mufflers, ladder bars, a 12 bolt with 4.88s, Hurst super shifter, and a vintage Sun tach with SW gauges. Cheater slicks for the rear will be here by the end of next week.

[​IMG]

7. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Yeah its a drive but I take 2 days to Laplata Md. then I came up with my friend who races an IHRA crate motored car the next day. When your retired it not so bad. I talked with Tim for awhile also as I have known him and his brother Dave for a long time. Other than the cold weather Thur. and Friday it was a good time. I talked to some old friends like Jim Morgan, Ken Kier, "Pie" Dent, Joe Clark and others. I plan on going again next year (I hope to race myself) and of course the York Nostaliga show in July.

8. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Gezzzzzz, Like a dummy I got rid of my old class guides when I moved. The oldest Buick engine spec I still have is for 1960 Buicks. :(

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  9. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

That would be cool. I tried to get M.A.N.D.R.A. to adopt a Jr. stock elim. several years ago but there was no interest.

10. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

That sounds like what I did....LOL. I had a SS/IA 68 Camaro back in 1978 and after I got married (BIG mistake) I sold the car and went bracket racing with a Pontiac Astre (Vega). Ran a season and blew up both S/S motors I had....LOL. Threw one rod up thru the lifter valley and broke it bad enough that I sold the car to a couple of guys from Texas. Just worked for IHRA for many years after that. Now Im thinking abut a stocker again. :eek: I must be NUTS !

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  11. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Yep....Its a cluster alright. Problem is most of the guys who know anything have gotten OLD like me. NHRA has good guys like Travis and Dave Ley. IHRA dosent have anyone except for maybe one guy and IHRA keeps him doing other stuff at the races. The younger guys just want to run .90 cars (no tech except for safety)or the 10.5 stuff. No one is interested in what it takes to run a stocker like in the old days very much any more. Very few know how to check a cam for duration and overlap. Remember NHRA stopped checking valve springs and cams except for lift back in 1985. I doubt anyone has checked one in IHRA pure stock since I left about 10 years ago. :(

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  12. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

cool !

13. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

14. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Cheap-Joe,
    This information is directly off the 1968 Plymouth Road Runner brochure.
    Camshaft specifications.
    Hydraulic
    Lift; .450 intake / .465 exhaust
    Duration; 276* intake / 282* exhaust
    Overlap; 54*

Did find a couple of photo's with Sox & Martin running a 68' 383 Road Runner
    in E/S. Must have been in the early part of 1968. Did see a 13.12 dial-in on the windshield. That would be (.42) above the record at that time.
    That car must have been run at their local base track, and not on the National
    scene.
    pc

15. BadNews

BadNews

Larry,
    What size rim are they recomending and do they require a tube? I want a correct look.
    Kevin

16. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

We had 15x6 or 7 back in the day................

17. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Like Bob says "7", and I'm going with the 7" also.

** Back in the day, the guys used to run anywhere from 5"-7" rim width with these tires.

Eric has updated their site page to now show the correct photo for these tires, as well it gives the tire specs and rim recommendations.

http://www.dragracetires.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=15&q=vintage+drag&x=0&y=0

** The manufacturer says they do require running a tube....

I'm gonna try them without tubes, I'll let you know if they'll hold air.

Larry

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  18. BadNews

BadNews

Larry,
    Let me know how they work "tubeless". I'd prefer to run them that way for cost and weight savings. I've been told the contact patch stays
    flaater for better contact with a tube. I used to coat the inside of the tires with Palmolive green dish washing detergent to seal the tires.
    Kevin
    P.S. I guess I'll start looking for a pair of 7" X 15" Cragar S/S wheels in a
    5 X 4.75" bolt pattern and 4.125" back spacing.

19. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Hope the new tires are better than the old ones. We had to run tubes most of the time...........

20. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

I never ran tubes in my M/T

Larry

21. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

the M/H and casler

22. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

[** The manufacturer says they do require running a tube....

I'm gonna try them without tubes, I'll let you know if they'll hold air.

Larry[/QUOTE]

-I've had my 8.0/8.5-14 version slicks mounted for about 13 months without tubes. They hold air fine with very minor air pressure changes.

A salesman at M&H did advise me to use tubes if they were going to be used for street use.

-Joe

23. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

My guess is they suggest using the tubes in them on the street to help support the sidewalls?

Would there be any other reason/s?

Larry

24. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

I called M&H before I ordered them from Summit Racing to make sure I could run them without tubes. The rep from M&H said I could run them with or without tubes and it was a matter of preference or application and not required. And that running tubes on the street would provide and extra layer of protection.

I also have a pair of vintage M&H slicks for display, they are a lightweight carcass design and do require tubes.

-Joe

25. BadNews

BadNews

I thought these were drag slicks, not D.O.T. tires. Why would you run them on the street? Do they have a D.O.T. approval due to the grooves in the tread area?

26. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

To my knowledge these tires are not D.O.T. approved. They do not have a D.O.T. stamp next to the serial # on the sidewall. But I do take my car on the street to the occassional cruise nite or car show.:)

-Joe.

27. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Neil,
    On your e-mail question..
    The 1965 Biscayne weighed in at #3543 lbs. with the small block.
    The 65' car has the (2) round tail-lights.
    The engines that you asked about, the 1968 stock classification, and National Records.
    283/220 HP ---- N/S ---- 14.09
    327/250 HP ---- L/S ---- 13.73
    327/300 HP ---- H/S ---- 12.92

* Note; The Rochester carb and cast iron intake manifold were the same on the
    283/220 HP and 327/250 HP. Both engines utilized the Rochester #4GC 486 cfm
    rated carb with 1 7/16" primary and 1 7/16" secondary throttle bore.

* Note; The #461 casting cylinder heads for the 327/300 HP came with, 1.94 intakes and 1.50 exhaust valves. I believe the port cc's were 160/62, and the combustion chambers were 64 cc.

* Note; The 283/220 HP and 327/250 HP engines utilized #896 casting cylinder heads, with 1.72 intake / 1.50 exhaust valve heads. The ports were 140/60cc, and the combustion chambers were 60cc.

* Note; The 327 engines had a 10.50-1 compression ratio with flat-top pistons w/notches, while the 283 had a 9.25-1 compression ratio.

* Note; The 327/300 HP engine utilized a special Carter carburetor (used on the 300 HP Corvettes). A 575 cfm rated Carter AFB, with 1 9/16" primary and 1 11/16" secondary.
    Also, utilized a special cast iron intake manifold.

* Note; All engines utilized the same .390/.410 lift hydraulic camshaft, with a duration of
    256* intake / 268* exhaust (195* intake / 202* exhaust @ .050). The centerline was
    112*/108*.
    pc

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  28. spiertb

spiertb

I'd rather see M & H make the vintage slicks with the neat pie cut edges. They look so much more "60's"

29. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Yeah they are cool, especially since they look to have the orig. labels on them....
    (Joe, where the hell did you find those???)

But for the later Mid-60's to Mid-70's Jr.Stocker stuff the NEW M&H re-pops are dead nuts on, and we should be thankful that InterCo is making them.... I'm sure they aren't a big mover.

Larry

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  30. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

I found 4 of the originals a few years back at a swap meet. They're from a closed speed shops inventory. They cleaned up very well... they had 45+ years on dust and crud on them. I sold a pair about a year ago and am keeping a pair for my collection.

I agree with you Larry... the new M&H slicks are dead nuts. The cheater grooves are what really make this tire look period and it's great you can buy them NEW!

-Joe