Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need 1949 ford advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjd420, Oct 30, 2010.

1. tjd420

tjd420

To anyone who cares: I'm getting ready to build a 49 ford fordor. I'm gonna use the original flathead and possibaly tranny. Need advice, tricks of the trade, direction to the right parts, etc. I want to convert to 12 volt, slam it, possibaly convert to floor shift, front disc conversion, front end rebuild. I've never messed with flatheads and could use some direction on any/all of the project. These things can get pricey and I would love to do it cheap. I have acess to a great juknkyard

THANKS

2. moontanker

moontanker
    from tn.

I ve built and sold 6 of the shoeboxes,the last one a flat head 51 hardtop ,my real dream car.Have patience and yo can get a flatty reasonable.I have an o.d.section for a stick.Some carbs,intake ,heads.G mail me.12 volt is especially easy.Battery,alt.Rewind starter.Bulbs,Replace guages or resisters. care Patience.

3. Kyle Counsil

Kyle Counsil

and always put new water pumps and get the rad cleaned out and ad a fan (these love to run hot) the parts are out there 12 volt is a must and SHOEBOX FORD.com

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

flathead and cheap do not go together....

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

If you decide to go with a floor shifter, consider carefully a later transmission. The 3.03 Ford three speed toploader has synchromesh first, and can be adapted without too much effort. BW or Ford four-speeds will also work, and there are several T5 transmissions that would be great in a shoebox. Good luck, and keep us updated as you progress.

6. smarg

smarg

I know I know I'm gonna get hammered for this, but whatever.

Getting some Small Block Chevy Motor mounts that adapt to the shoebox would be the cheapest route, especially if you wanted a floor shift....

They come up for sale every once in awhile on here.

7. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

12V is not a must, my 6V runs fine, even started up today no problem after not driving it for 3 weeks. shoeboxford.com is a great site for these cars. But yes, new water pumps is a good idea and definitely flush that radiator and add a fan.

8. i just installed a mr gasket (cuz of my budget or lack there of) floor shifter in my 50 it has the original overdrive trans it wasnt the easiest thing ive ever done wont be doing it agin......

i was lucky ,kinda...... i had my trans tunnel out of it wouldnt want to try it anyother way lots of trail fitting and stuff

i bought a rebel wire harness from glenn33 great price and quick delivery

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

ugh please dont give this car another case of bowtie poisoning , SBC s may be convienient , but when it gets to the point thats all you see at cruise night it makes me appreciate my motorcycle more than hotrods lol

10. If you decide to swap the motor,5.0 Mustang works really good. But you have to change the oilpan to a 69-70 or so,Bronco pan,cause it has a rear sump. Lots of guys have done Shoeboxs on here,so there plenty of build threads and ideas. Just search for HAMB Shoebox Club.

11. smarg

smarg

12. tjd420

tjd420

Thanks guys, thats a great start. Was curious if anyone knew of interchangable springs (I heard Astro springs will fit and lower a couple of inches) as well as what type of distributor to use. I've heard some horror stories of cheap chinese ignitions

13. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

aerostar springs will drop it about 2 inch's or so

14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ever had a problem with the right windshield glass cracking on a '49? i've had two with that problem--that front body-to-frame mount breaks and allows a lot of flex, causing the w/s to crack. never was too crazy about the door latches on that year. and the hoods always seem to give out on the rear corner--remember the "tune-up" scene in Thunder Road ? that car had a '49 hood on it with the same problem. one final thing is that lousy prop for the trunk lid. i guess that's why they changed that stuff on the '50!

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ford touted "50 Improvements for 1950" ...........and they were needed ! :)

Ray

16. tjd420

tjd420

That poor 49. Still have it, but have too many bills/projects. One day I'll get to it, but changed direction to the 50 coupe in my avatar. Once I can afford patch panels, I'll start a thread on the build.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Just start it now,there is never too much shoebox build threads

18. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

NO sbc. listen to BadBob, 5.0 mustang. Or go with a rebuilt 302, both ideas less expensive then going the flathead route...

but if you can swing it go the flathead route for sure.

19. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

49 Ford Mordor here as well...I'll be following, I also am planning on using the Aerostar springs for the drop...that is once I get the car out of storage!

Subscribed!

20. tjd420

tjd420

My mordor Will be a flattie, the coupe is getting a 351w/t5. Please keep us posted Riopirate...the fordors are often unappreciated. I think they're awesome when done right.