Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Whats on your book shelf???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Oct 30, 2010.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Hope this hasn't been done recently (i'm not even gonna bother searching, so there! :p), but i was just realizing i have some pretty cool books in my small collection. so lets see what you all have out there on your shelf. whats your favorite and what's on your wish list??
    here are some of mine:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Just remembered a pic I took when I was trying out a new camera. This is a tiny portion of what I have that's for sure. And yes there was a thread on this not too long ago. That black bound one on the right is issues of the California Timing News from 1946-48.
    [​IMG]

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

4. got a lot of stuff, but mostly buying the markdowns now lately a $5 book is much better than $25 got a flood:mad: going here and kinda worried about all the books downstairs, but got a outside pump going

5. Too much stuff to go on shevles. I keep mine inplastic tubs ( far from kids hands, cant have any ripped covers ) The Wife says I have a problem, I tell her it's History!!!!

6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i'm CERTAIN you have a problem, but don't we all. :D

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really need to build bookshelves and organize this collection too. Aunte Betty gave me my first "Old Car" book on Christmas 1961, Ralph Stein's the Trearury of the Automobile. To this day I think it is the best book that gives an overview of the car hobby, but no Hot Rod info. Just about all my books are about Pre World War II vehicles with some postwar racing. The Miller Dynasty is one of my favorites, along with Jack Fox's INDY 500 book. Just won a copy of Joel Finn's "American Road Racing 1948-1950", from Racemaker Press,got the notice on the day Aunte Betty would have turned 100, she's still looking over me.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My bookshelf/library has the following titles (some may not be exact):

The Packard Story

The Coachbuilt Packard

Olympian Cars

The Classic Car (CCCA)

The Classy Ford V-8

The Model A Ford As Henry Built It

Several editions of Automobile Quarterly

The Deusenberg service book with original ads in the back

Several editions of TRJ

Various Harley history books

Encyclopedia of American Cars

100 Greatest Cars by Dennis Adler (there's 3 of my restorations, complete and partial featured:cool:)

Countless magazines kept for serious reference

Both editions of the Lester and Steele Handbook of Automobiles, early and late which features weights, OEM sugg retail, wheelbase, engine specs. All of you need these books BTW...very helpful.

2 editions of the Hollander interchange manual, one from 55-65, the other from 65-75.

And finally, "Packard the history of the car and the Company" by Beverly Rae Kimes. My obvious favorite and most referenced.

There's more and many related to the way they were vs what we do to em. I'd get tossed out for the whole list so I'll stop now. I also highly recommend both of the Ford reference books. All OEM pics for accurate reference.

9. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Who has time to read?

10. squirrel

squirrel

to many to even take pictures of....

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Forgot, its all been packed for 2 years. Last I remember it was diecast cars and planes. American, German and Japanies Flags. Old toys and more related type stuff.

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I just got a copy of "Sundays with Von Dutch" Save your money. a crappy book indeed!

13. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Mark twain & Hemingway

FRITZ

14. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I do have some old Hot Rod mags, a set of Roger Jetter Friday Night Reads, Some old Car Craft, and old Mechanics Illustrated!

15. big bad john

big bad john

......a few books aboutg rebuilding flatheads,....but mostly books on Route 66........Went on the Mother Mode in 2009......Big Bad John

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I started in October of 1953 with the "Honk !" pictured above, and it's been a constant Collection since then ! My newest is Larry Watson's.

In fact, I felt so strongly about fellow HAMBERS & Gearheads all over building an R&C Collection, that a year ago I started the "HOT OFF THE PRESS" Section on the Hall Of Fame Legends Series WebSite.

So far, this Special Section has been listed in the "Top 10" viewed pages on the Site almost every month !

If you wanna check-it out, AND get some great ideas for the Holidays coming up...either to give or receive, here's the Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage112.html

I guarantee you'll definetly find something there that you DON'T have...and probably should !!

Have a GREAT "HALLOWEEN, 2010" Weekend !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

17. Two books without which one can not fully appreciate the American phenomenon of hot rodding. Look at a Miller 91 and think of Art Chrisman's #25 dry lakes/drag racing car [ http://www.nhra.net/museum/features/feature36.html ].

• The Miller Dynasty[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1], 2nd ed.[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1]- Mark Dees, ISBN[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] 0-9638084-0-0[/FONT][/SIZE]
    • The Golden Age of the American Racing Car[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica], 2nd ed.[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1] - Griffith Borgeson, SAE, ISBN 0-7680-0023-8[/SIZE]
    for recommend books on American Racing Cars before WWII go to:

http://www.milleroffy.com/

HELL...go to this page just to hear a Miller 91 Indy car at full song....fabulous!

18. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

19. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Since this is my home office bookcase as well, mixed in with book like Pete Vincent's Hot Rod photography book, 50 years of Hot Rod, books about vintage drag cars and my collection Rodder Journals, are Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and reference books for graphic design, a server, a Wacom tablet and a small printer for quick proofs.

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Someone mention TRJ?

I've probably got 200 lbs worth of books I've collected in 30+ years. Car spotters books, hotrodding books, histories, how-to's, biographies of car people, picture books of classics, customs, muscle cars. I could open a library!

Attached Files:

21. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

A few of my favorites are:

Chevrolet = racing....?
    Group 7
    The last open road
    Road racing in America
    Hot Rod Deluxe

IMGP8558.JPG IMGP8559.JPG

22. bgaro

bgaro

books are for inmates

23. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Here is one of the book shelves in the "Office". Has my secret books on making flatheads go very, very fast. I took the picture far enough away so you can't tell what they are.

Attached Files:

24. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

25. Besides too many books to mention, a couple of old HOT WHEELS in the original un-opened packages, :D BDM

26. Latest fave- 'International Auto Parade' (1963)

O/T; Keef-:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  27. 65deluxe

65deluxe

My Avatar is my latest. :cool:

28. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Spoggie, have you read Keith's book yet?

29. Yep. twice! :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  30. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar