Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Chrome/Aluminum Paint on Airstream???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andyleonard, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyleonard

andyleonard
    from topanga ca

Does anyone have any first hand experience painting the exterior of an aluminum trailer/motorhome with one of the new chrome paints and a clearcoat? I want something brighter than rattlecan aluminum, but the good stuff looks like $1500 a gallon. I see several brands available on the web and lots of painted cars, but no aluminum and no consensus on the "almost like chrome" colors which will work fine for me. And no feedback from anyone who has done it. Anyone?

2. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Buff the aluminum.....It will shine with some work. Dont paint the airstream it will lose value.

3. andyleonard

andyleonard
    from topanga ca

Friends, please...the coach will be painted and not polished. We are way past that point and are looking for intel on the chrome paints from folks who have actually used them. Thanks.

4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check with a company that paints semis or specializes in painting aluminum . The cabs are aluminum .

5. I saw a caddie (billie f gibbons) at so-cal painted with that "chrome paint by Winfield and after a year it was turnin black and blotchy........looked like crap,I think they repainted it pearl or flake,but the chrome stuff looked like crap shortly after painted

6. andyleonard

andyleonard
    from topanga ca

Does anyone have first-hand experience with this product? I've seen it, I've touched it, but I need to talk to someone who has put it on aluminum. Please?

Attached Files:

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Try an RV forum.

8. fat141

fat141

Must have your reason, but why would you want to paint an Airstream ? Polished n shiney is part of their charm. Oh well ..............not for me to say ......
    Good luck
    Rod

9. Sounds like an RV forum question.

Painting an Airstream? That's dumb, sorry, it had to be said.

Plenty of places paint aluminum bodies - check with one.

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

I would assume he is painting it due to repairs to the skin/hail damage/ or possibly just years of abuse dents and damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.