Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. zep058

zep058

Damn man!!

Go Keith, Go!!

2. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

wow that is a tight car, you just gave me some new ideas for the buick. now i only need to find a suitable wagon roof

3. glassguy

glassguy

i am so thankful your re considering the wheels!! just look at jesse james 51 merc, also a stunning custom then it has painted wheels with spider caps:( both cars are way to nice and classy for that wheel combo.. your car is a little to modern i think for caddy sombreros. most of the winfield cars had real chrome reversed wheels. thats what i think would be perfect for this car!! ive been diggin this car for a loooong time! what a great car, and job you did on it.. cant wait to see it all buttoned up.

4. Mr. Chevrolet

Mr. Chevrolet
    from Canada

What an awesome car, I was waiting for some updates. As far as the wheels go, I'd leave the wide whites with steel wheels painted a semi gloss black with a thin chome trim ring. I think it would give it a tough look.

5. Church

Church
    from South Bay

This it THE car I wanna see most at the GNRS. Well, that and a particular van... but I digress.

6. inkmunky

inkmunky

I've kept me mouth shut for a bit now, some smoothie stude covers or (if they fit the wheels) some lincoln premiere caps with the center painted to match the car the dark cobalt of the lower part of the car, and paint the rims to match the lighter blue where they peek out of the covers. Really tie in all the chrome and fades and make the slabside style of the kaiser pop.

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I didnt check this out in a few months......wow! its the only thing i can think of now.
    I think paint the wheels as you sescribed w/ beauty rings and spideers.
    Bitchin.

8. thats a big ten four.

9. I don't know what they are, but I want some "spideers". they sound neato.

10. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

How about the little Henry J baby moon caps?

[​IMG]

Or the 6 cyl Henry J full cap?

[​IMG]

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I should have "sescribed" them a little i guess. lol!

12. Keith, any updates?

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Haven't looked at this thread in a while, man, you have really followed through on this build. Just a ton of work. Beautifully done.

14. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I got the handles mounted, well one of them. I need to get a small brass bushing to complete the other one. I've also been fine tuning the fit of the headlight rings so I can send them to Josh for chrome. I am experimenting with different headlight depths to decide what I like best. It's between flush mounting them and frenching them right now and if I french them I need to figure out how deep and how to fill the gap between the ring and the light. Oh, and the wife wants our home office finished this week too. :)

15. it sucks being to busy to work on your automobile. I have been there.

16. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

This has been so far an AMAAAZING build! great job on all the work!

17. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Indeed, I just have to set aside specific days for it and that's what I do that day. But yes, life does get in the way of building a hot rod. That's why I need a shop and some helpers. :)

18. Have I ever got a deal for you!

:D

19. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Do you know Solidworks? We could trade jobs for awhile and you can sit at a desk and design intakes. Of course I would be working on my car in your shop, using your employees, not much ROI for you.

20. Jay71

Jay71

Beautiful car! Please dont put painted steel wheels with beauty rings and spider caps on it though. Way to nice for that. A unique car such as this deserves a unique wheel treatment. I actually dig that full Henry J cap posted above. Something with some chrome.

21. I use Alibre' but that's beside the point.

I was thinking you could reach into your vast piggy bank and just buy my shop. :)

22. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

HAH! Any money I had turned into paint over the course of last year. :)

23. and it shows...

24. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

25. 1959 Buick caps.

26. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Those are cool but I don't think I can bring myself to put Buick caps on the Kaiser. I'm hoping that some original Kaiser caps will look good. Maybe I'll be able to modify them slightly like a lot of other Kaiser parts on the car.

Got the trunk handle put together and it looks great. I'm also working on the door handles, headlights, mirrors and stainless trim but everything needs something small so it can't be finished in one shot. I'm going to send the headlight rings and stainless out to Josh shortly so look for more chrome work and stainless straightening/polishing from him.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  27. I just saw a glimpse of your Kais (pre paint) on the Gene Winfield part in the back from the dead II DVD. Not even done and its getting famous. haha. I really want to see it in person.

28. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

29. thought you should know. pretty cool stuff. Gene is my hero.

30. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I've been working on the headlights. I had to reshape the peak slightly to match up with the fender.

[​IMG]

I also had to sand the back edge and bend the rings to match the contour of the fender. I'm hoping they don't change shape too much during chrome.

[​IMG]

I also got a set of fluted H4 headlights from a friend. Should look better than the non-fluted ones I had in there.

[​IMG]

Headlight buckets are sandblasted. I am going to weld 1/4-20 inserts on to them to simplify installation then prime and paint. Semi-gloss black Krylon seems to be the most used item in my garage these days.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010