Register now to get rid of these ads!

Charging issue, 63 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by srosa707, Oct 29, 2010.

1. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Hey fellas, I need you to shine some light on my situation. Ill try to make this quick.

Bought a 63 Merc Meteor S-33 with a 260 V-8 this past weekend. Drove it for 3 days after buying it. Before leaving for home, I smelled electrical burning. Popped hood, gen was smoking a bit. Fired it up, smoking seemed to stop. Tested it and gen was charging (showed on gauge too). No choice, had to drive it 5 hours south to get home. About 3 hours in, noticed the gauge showed no charge, then discharge shortly after. Car finally died at my exit, put in a new battery and drove it home.

Just installed rebuilt gen and new regulator today. Fired it up and the gauge showed charging. Shortly after, it showed no charge, then a minor discharge. While showing discharge I tested gen and it was showing a charge (but discharge on gauge in car), I drove it around the block and the gauge still showed slight discharge. I disconnected the battery and the gauge is still showing a discharge in the car.

Do i have a faulty gauge? I mean, it was working when we first bought it and this afternoon for a minute when i first put the gen/reg back in. Whats happening? Also, the old reg had a condensor attached to it but so does the gen, so I left the condensor that was on the OG reg off of the new reg. Any ideas?? Im stumped at the moment, hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

2. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Heres the car. I know how everyone likes pics :D

Attached Files:

3. Did you replace the regulator as well as rebuilding the gen? I think you also have to polarize it. I have dummy light on my 64, comes on a lot in idle but seems to keep charging my battery, I have a backup regulator in the toolbox. Maybe run a separate sun type guage?

4. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Ya, rebuilt gen and brand new reg. The reg was polarized also.

5. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Any ideas fellas?

6. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Nice Meteor!
    No ideas on the generator, but I'd convert to an alternator for less hassle!

7. Cortney

Cortney

Did the person that rebuilt the gen check to see if the regulator was working with it as well?