Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rescued Roadster - A True Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tetanus Shot, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

yes the interior is vinyl, but its still as soft as the day it was stitched.

i found a huge mouse nest in the interior of the trunk made up of a 50's lingerie catalog and a bunch of cotton from something, but amazingly there isnt a single bite mark in the whole interior.

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Lucky bugger.

Thanks for saving a great car, drive the wheels off it:D

3. Any time, a "historically significant hot rod" gets saved by a HAMBer, it is a reason for us all to be proud, another one saved! Viva La HAMB!:D

4. selohssa

selohssa

That is bad ass! Nice find.

5. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

6. I just had to look at this again. It's so badass!

-mikethegreek-

7. i saw the car in the line up to get in to lars, cool story on an old garage find...

8. 58custom

58custom

What an amazing find. I dig how you cleaned it and left it alone.

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat that you rescued a rod that was previously in a magazine 50 years ago in an article called Rescued Rod. Thanks for posting up the story and the pics.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Like he said,that was under everyone's nose.It was advertised here on the 19th of January. I spoke with the guy.He sent me a bunch of pictures.
    I'm glad to see it out where others can enjoy looking at it.

The only thing its lacking is an Alliance tag on the firewall.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
    volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

just thought i would give a quick update on the car,

after spending a couple weeks chasing a gremlin in the Harman Collins i came to the conclusion that i need to send it out to a professional that knows these things inside and out. so in the mean time i chased down a stock distributor. two actually, the first "rebuildable" one i got of ebay had a badly cracked housing so that set me back another couple weeks. fucker. anyway after rebuilding the second one the car is now running perfectly other than a charging problem that i plan on addressing next week. i also hope to be able to have the top redone soon as i think its a big part of the cars history and look.

I also have to say this is raddest car i have ever driven, the long wheelbase makes it ride like a cadillac and it handles corners like an old sports car. its so much fun that all i want to do is drive it.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  12. bgaswillys

bgaswillys

Absolutely awesome!! Glad to see another original rod/custom found, saved, and being driven!!

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH! Didn't know you started a thread on this... Not sure why. Did you tell me?? I'm losing it...

Did you try that generator yet??

Come to breakfast tomorrow... dammit! Also let me know if you need a contact for the 283 stuff you mentioned...

14. sinticket

sinticket

what a story...congratulations, beautiful ride

15. Burny

Burny

16. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

havent tested that generator yet, i think it got dropped pretty hard, its kinda hard to spin. im going to open it up and give it the once over, thanks again for that.

i think i got the 283 under control now, the throttle plates werent shutting completely on the end carbs so i blocked them off for now until i order some new ones. i almost pulled all my hair out trying to get that engine to idle, been driving me crazy for over a week.

i really want to make it to breakfast, not sure if im going to be able to make it tomorrow though, depends on how late im out tonight :D

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...

18. Same Ol' Eric.....

19. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Keep it original....wear out the tires.... make memories..

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Is the original builder still alive? It would be the best if you could talk with him.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Tetanus,

41 Dave just turned me on to your thread.

Discovering an important piece of recent American history is so cool. You are now the owner of a page of history. Congratulation. From your descriptions it sounds like the roadster landed in the perfect hands of a sympathetic new custodian. Here's hoping that 50 years from now there will still be hot rodders who appreciate the authenticity of the Roadster that has now been "Rescued" twice.

Outstanding.

22. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Gaaawwwd......it's PERFECT!!!!!!

Mart3406
    =========================

23. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

the original builder passed many years ago and im afraid a lot of the history of the car may have died with him. i would really love to have photos of it from back when it was built (other than the magazine article of course), i was hoping someone on here would come forward with more history.

24. As a 'sporty car' type of guy, I absolutely love this little machine. So glad to hear it drives well too. This is an issue I always ponder when I see different builds. Yeah, it looks cool, but can it handle the curves??? Apparently the owner did it right.
    Looks like it may have been built at Finzio's Sinclair by Buddy Palumbo.
    JT:cool:
    http://www.lastopenroad.com/
    [​IMG]

25. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Eric,
    This has got to be one of my favorite threads of all time. This roadster found you. I second the post about 50 years from now. Well said. Joe

26. John in Oz

John in Oz

What a fantastic find, to think this rod has been around for 57 years in the same threads, just goes to show you the quality for its day was first class.

Good on you and enjoy the car I am sure the original builder if he is still around today would enjoy seeing it being enjoyed by you cruising in it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. thunderplex

thunderplex

..you said fuck, ...twice. (actually, ...you typed the word fuck twice) : )

28. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

This is one of the most beautiful Hotrods ever !
    Patina is awesome and I love the stance. I buildt myself a modified roadster(PU) too and I love the way these things handle on winding mountain roads. these look like rods but with that low C/G they go like sport cars. Saw the small pic in R&C magazine, glad to find it here on the hamb. Plain love it. enjoy !

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. snapjack

snapjack

I recieved my copy of the new H.A.M.B. calender last Sat. and not really having looked at it in detail yet I was showing it to a freind of mine and
    when he got to back cover he asked if I had pinstripped the car. I initially
    told him no, thinking what's the chance of that happening. Then Sunday morning I really looked at it and then realize that I had pinstripped the car 51 years earlier in Michigan for Al Calkins from Lapear ,MI. In return he made a set of front and rear rollpans for my '51 Plymouth custom.

Who would believe with the thousands of cars and hundred of pinstrippers out there, what are the chances of this happening after all these years.

I have 2 photos of the car taken at a 1960 indoor car at the Michigan State fair grounds which I'll try to attach but if I can't I'll post later.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

That's pretty sad. Have you tried contacting family members if he has any? They might have photos and memorabilia that the original owner had kept. Unfortunately what happens in instances like this; especially if they have no family members, etc; is that the bank comes to sell the house or whatever and they get one giant dumpster and just about everything in the house goes in the dumpster. that's what happened to my boyfriends house when the old man who owned it died.

What a great find and its certaintly different and very appealing. best of luck with it!

volvobrynk likes this.