Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Planning mini vacation from SF to LA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

Help me plan a quick memorable trip for my family. We'll be taking a Saturday am through Friday pm trip from SF to LA in a few weeks.

Looking for a good recommendation on clean reasonable hotels in both SF and LA, must see's, cool eateries. Doesn't need to be car stuff.

In SF we'll do the obvious, GG,Chinatown,Lombarde st, cable cars,
    Who's got the better redwoods, Muir, Big Basin, or?

Must see's and do's down 1? Should we take one long day or two?

Decent hotel in the LA area near Santa Monica or down towards Huntington Beach. Girls want to see the Hollywood stuff...

Post away.

2. G'day , we ate at Bourdins on Fishermans wharf and had the Clam Chowder in a sour dough bowl , something you have to do in SF I am told and it was GOOD. Sausilito was great and Muir woods was cool , when driving down the coast Hearst Castle is a must see and you need to get there with enough time to do one of the tours , google it if you haven't heard of it , incredible story ! Coast is windy but a great drive , we loved it but we were in a camper so I cannot recommend the Hotels. we did a post of our trip if it helps ,

Hope you and your family have a ball , Cad.

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

I forgot about the Hearst castle. Thanks for the tip!
    Anbody else??

4. NUROADSIR -

I'd recommend a picnic lunch and some light hiking on the coastal trails @ Pt. Lobos State Natural Reserve (Hwy 1 south of Carmel).

I've traveled all over the globe ... and Pt. Lobos is still my favorite (non car related) place to visit ... definitely "The Greatest Meeting of Land and Water in the World".

My family usually makes a day of it @ Pt. Lobos (and do the Monterey Bay Aquarium the next day) ... but you could certainly enjoy a picnic lunch and a few of the coastal trails in ~3 hours.

Here's just a small sample of what you'll see there ... and these pics don't do the scenery justice:

Pinnacle Point  (from Cypress Grove trail).jpg China Cove (from Bird Island trail).jpg Whaler's Cabin - Museum (in Whalers Cove).jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Pacific Coast Highway is a great ride by Pebble Beach and the 13 mile drive, Seal Rock, then stop at Hearst Castle. Be sure to check along the coast line for Sea Lions that swim down from Alaska. Bakery at Big Sur is worth a coffee stop. Find a half day to spend at the La Brea Tap Pits in LA just down the road from The Petersen Collection. Universal Studio Tour, Huntington Beach, Queen Mary in Long Beach should keep the family happy. Have a great time.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  6. andyleonard

andyleonard
    from topanga ca

When you get down toward Malibu, check out the Reel Inn for reasonably priced excellent seafood at the beach. Just north of Santa Monica.

7. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

All great tips, the days will fill up fast.

9. Alcatraz, they made movies there.

10. GaryM

GaryM

11. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Take Route 1; and when you head south from SF, (about 30 miles south) you gotta stop in Half Moon Bay at the Ritz Carlton for the view of the ocean and for a drink. It wil be one of the best views anywhere with your $8 budweiser. Drink a six pack before you head in.

12. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks everyone.

Hey Todd, We'll try to hit Alcatraz....

Wow, Like a Concours in one location! Looks neat.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check this out too.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have fun and give us a photo report of the trip.

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

Still looking for a hotel, somewhere midway....Cambria to Pismo or??

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

How about Morro Bay ??

16. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

if ya stay in Cambria there is a great littlw spot for dinner called the Sow's Ear http://www.thesowsear.com/ also in SF area you can swing out to Danville for a tour of the Blackhawk Museum http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/ ..if ya make it down to HB rent some bikes and ride the coast bike path all the way to the Newport Beach bay entrance and back..the Mission at Santa Barbara is a nice visit too with lots of good eateries/shopping on State street...Santa Maria might be a good half way spot http://www.santamariainn.com/ with Santa Maria Style BBQ http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Magazine/June-2010/Santa-Maria-Style-Barbecue/...have fun and eat well!!