Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects bilding a motor inside your house

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brendog67rat, Jun 24, 2009.

1. OT but I painted my fiberglass shower in the house with Dupont Centari, used the exhaust fan in the bathroom and it stuck shut with the overspray.

2. bigchuck no stronger than the next when I was 55 I unloaded a complete 3.1 chev from the back of my truck across the shop and put it on the work bench. 30 years ago I built a sbc for a local stock car racer had it all assembled including flywheel clutch and scattershield
    and I told him I would be back to tune it for him the race on the friday I went back 3 or 4 times and the motor was still on the bench, we raced friday he wasn't there saturday he wasn't there then I saw him at the sunday race no car his team thought that it was too heavy to move I went on monday and lifted the motor one inch just to show it could be move then his team grapped it and I hooked the chain. it's all in your head if you think it's too heavy it is.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Back around '79 or '80 we rebuilt a Datsun 510 engine in my friends parlor as they refered to it. The two of us carried it out with a chain wrapped around a 4X4 and dropped it right into the car!
    Had it running later that day.
    He was a lumberjack, plenty strong! I did the technical part!

4. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

house? no just hotels and the office at work lol. heres a picture rebuilding the sprintcar motor the night before a race
    [​IMG]

5. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Back in the late 60's, I rebuilt a couple of 650 BSA's in my rental house living room. When the first one was done, got it started up and did a gigantic burnout on the hardwood floor. Landlord put in new carpeting because the floor was really ugly. When I finished the rebuild on the second one, I did an even better burnout on the carpet. I don't live there anymore!:D

6. yup. built my 8ba in my basement appartment. got a 283 in my basement right now.

7. gsport

gsport

nope, but i did build one on the picnic table in the back yard back in the 60's....

8. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Never done an automotive engine in the house. Have done a couple of Kart and dirt bike engines on the kitchen table. When I was a kid my dad rebuilt a Holley 94 on the kitchen table one winter, the carb cleaner smell lasted till spring. Dan Glover here on the hamb rebuilt a blown small block in a spare bedroom many years ago... and fired it.

9. engine build in a hotel room??? that's bad ass, could be the old style speaking.

10. Ain't nobody gonna top that! I once assembled a 68 Electra Glide in my brothers downstairs bedroom. My mom wasn't real happy about it but I kept telling her "It's all nice and clean, I'm just putting it together". It was a hell of a job getting it out of the house though.

11. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I have to believe that more than a couple have been rebuilt in Stateline/Wendover motel rooms.

12. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

That made my night.

13. fantastic!! coolist thing you can do in a hotel room. wait, let me think.......

14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

happy wife, happy life!

15. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i need to find me a women like what some of you guys got!

16. It is about 2 am in the morning, I have read these 9 pages of posting on engines, parts, and cars in the house. Wife would never let any car parts follow me into the house, they are all out in the garage. Yet, after all this reading, my brain is playing tricks on me. I close my eyes, and I smell the aroma of carb cleaner and rattle can paint (from my single guy days).

17. Paul Y

Paul Y

Ahem....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKpmYZweCOw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKpmYZweCOw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Not me as I would now be typing this from beyond the grave but some fellow UK Rodders....

18. bob308

bob308

i rebuilt the motor on my 68 norotn atlas in the hallway of first apt. did my 72 triumph in the kitchen of my house. also had my lathe and mill in the basement.

19. I remember when I was in High school going over to an older guy's house that I knew...(he was like 26) He was restoring a flat bottom boat. The first bedroom was full of anondized parts, the second had headers and chrome, and the Living room had a sweet fireplace screen made out of the grille of an old Peterbilt. Gotta love car guy bachelor pads!!!!!

20. big bad john

big bad john

.........Sleep????????????

21. kenbob26

kenbob26

i built a 302 ford in my living room. my apartment manager was pissed too say the least. But was ok with it. In the end I fixed his car too. I will try and find a picture to show.

22. 1Evil55

1Evil55
    from Illanoys

I built my Harley in my parents basement. Fortunately it was a walk out.

23. While stationed at Ft. Ord, CA. I built a SBC in the barracks and stored it a wall locker during room inspections.

24. :eek::)cool storys, got more?:)

25. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I channeled and boxed my 32 roadster in my basement when I was 18.
    All the parts went in through the side pass door except the frame, that had to go through the kitchen. THAT did not please my mother! (Niether did the smoke fron the welding)

26. mopar362000

mopar362000

Stationed at grand forks afb in the 70s'.Built a 440 dodge in the basement of basement houseing.4 of us carried up the stairs to put it in my dirt car.Jimmie King

27. Hunka-Junka

Hunka-Junka

When I was 17 I rebuilt a Chevy 350 4-bolt main engine in my bedroom...UPSTAIRS!

I needed to rebuild my engine and it was winter. We didn't have a garage with power, so where else was I going to do it? It made sense to me at the time.

28. Natedrag

Natedrag

99-05 I was single (most of the time) w/ a whole house and a small garage. No heat in the garage. I used to rebuild transmissions (727s and th400s) and carbs on a spare counter in the kitchen. Then I built the 455 Olds for my '67 Cutlass in my living room. Then a friend built a Dodge 2.2 Turbo III in my living room because he lived in a upstairs apt. Good times, cars in the yard, parts in the house, friends hanging out. Now I'm married with a real shop, but man it was fun...:)

29. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I've built several motorcycles in the house While living in the old Naval barracks turned apartments in Corpus Christi in 1971, I watched some guys trying to get their chopper past a 90 degree turn in the stairs.
    The chopper was beautiful and very very long.
    I painted two in the kitchen with a box fan in the window, also painted everything except the cab of my 35 Ford pickup in the house using the same box fan.
    Always turn the gas water heater off first

30. 53studecoupe

53studecoupe
    from Eagle WI

I wasn't going to go there out of ridicule here but I have built a 1979 Shovel FLH in my spare bedroom before we had kids just to test the waters with the new wife. I was moved to the basement after having children when I cooked up the idea of building my hot rod in the basement. True story with no access other than down the stairs. Every piece was carried down the stairs. Check out Ripley's believe it or not 2011 " Enter if you Dare" page 17...I will leave it at that.

Attached Files: