Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you re-hone a block if some minor rust has set in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swimeasy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. swimeasy

swimeasy

It's not to bad, but a spot or two may be a couple of thosands deep. Can ya save one like this? Please don't tell me what a dumb ass I am as I feel pretty bad about letting this happen in the first place!

2. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

I just bought a 350 4 bolt for $50.00 this summer 2 of the cylinder's were badly pitted and rusted bad. Took the block down to the machine shop, no problem, boared the cylinder's out 30 No problem's ran my coupe the rest of the summer........PINCHER

3. Deuces

Deuces

I'd have to see a close-up pic of the infected area...

4. swimeasy

swimeasy

This block was boared .60 over (flathead). I have already bought pistons and rings. I will put some pictures up and see what you guys think.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you can't see any pitting once you've honed out the bores, it's no problem.

6. I'd say that all you'd need is a bunch of lube and some light hone work to set it straight. Real minor stuff, I'd scuff out with diesel fuel and crocus cloth.

Bob

7. lostdutchman

lostdutchman

I'm assuming you are talking about doing it yourself

if its just fingerprints and atmospheric rust on a freshly machined block

no problem just don't over do it and get the cylinder out of round

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Uh, we all know that there is a difference between "boring" and "honing", right?
    Posts #5...#6...#7, have it exactly right.

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

What do you have to lose ,If you hone it and try it ,I dont think you will break a ring ,May oil the piston walls a little more .Not politically correct ,But I had a chevy inlie 6 in my boat and water got into a cylinder and Motor was stuck ,Pulled head and found rust ,Wetsanded with crocus cloth and oil .Had pits in wall ,Buttoned it up and ran it ,Worked fine,,,,,,

10. whid

whid

I had a 350 4 bolt bored .30 over had the crank done then got divorced and the project stalled for nine years....it held up surprising well but did develope a few rust spots...i was lucky, it wasnt that bad they were able to hone it out and no pitting....you got nothing to lose ...good luck..........whid

11. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Had a machinist tell me once that he didnt worry that much about pits. He said they just hold oil. He said when you have scores the oil travels in the scores and gets burned in the combustion chamber.

12. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

: Can you re-hone a block if some minor rust has set in?

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Had a machinist tell me once that he didn't worry that much about pits. He said they just hold oil. He said when you have scores the oil travels in the scores and gets burned in the combustion chamber.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True True it is - And If you have chrome ring's that want seat - Take the
    plugs out put a little Comet, Ajax etc in each one spin it over a few times and they will seat.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  13. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Unless it really tore the cylinder walls up just clean it up or hone it and go.