Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Fitted Block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I found 2 early SBC 327 in crates, the guy says he bought them in the early '60z and they were called "fitted blocks". 327 sj block, stock 4" bore, with pistons and rings only. Ever hear of a fitted block?

2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

maybe that means it has the crank, rods, pistons, and rings already installed.

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

yes,, when you machine the block you do a final honing, to fit a certain piston to that cylinder, in order to bring pistons into required tolerances to cylinders. a final fit , if you will

4. Deuces

Deuces

They're called short blocks now days... With or without a camshaft....

5. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

NO. A fitted block is pistons,rings and block only. No crank or rods.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Thank you, that's all it has as stated in my first post................

7. In GM parts terminology, a "fitted block" was as described above. I think these were mainly intended for warranty service, when the bottom end was still serviceable. The next step up from that was a "partial engine" which included the crank, rods and bearings; what most folks think of as a short block.

Target or Goodwrench engines added the cylinder heads and valvetrain, making it a long block. Pretty complete assembly from valve covers to oil pan.

8. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Learning is a life long process :cool:

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I don't think GM sells fitted blocks anymore but in the 60's/early 70's you could buy such an animal. During a time when they were having trouble with the cast iron being so hard rings would not seat,even after 30-40,000 miles. Solution...... they made blocks with pistons and (moly) rings available so you could switch everything but the offending components over and have a sound engine. My dad bought the only Chevrolet he ever had during this period and it would not stop using oil. So...........after almost 20,000 miles Chevrolet put in a fitted block and he was off and running with a great running small block that didn't use any oil during a 2,000 mile change interval.
    It was determined that the hard blocks came from Tonawanda engine plant (in Tonowanda, New York) and were cast from the same iron used in the big blocks which were built there. BBC's were noted for not wearing the cylinders even after 50,000+ miles but the ring package used were compatable with the hardness and created a great seal without wear. Tonawanda didn't build SBC's for long just for enough time to make up for extreme demand.

Frank

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Great info Frank and thanks! So it is a terminology others have heard before.
    My interest in them is that I have a couple nice 283 cranks that could be installed for a 301? As I understand it the pistons will not reach the proper height BUT doesn't effect the power or high RPM's as long as you use proper heads? Do I have it rite?
    A nice set of heads, a good cam, and a balance job?
    Yep, I read the thread on the 301 & 302 till my head was spinning, still have questions.......

11. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry guys!! My bad!.. After damn near 40 years of being a gearhead, I should have known better...