Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!!! Welding issues with my MIG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, Oct 29, 2010.

1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Using my little Lincoln MIG set up on gas, and everything is wired correctly. I have checked it 3 times.

Last time I used the welder (a month ago) everything worked perfect. It has set in the corner since. I am now using it and three times now the wire has started glowing red hot inside the welder, between the spool, and the feed mechanism. Then is smells like the coating is burning off the wire, and it stops feeding. I have pulled the wire out of it 3 times, and re-fed it, and sometimes it will let me weld for 30 secs or so, and it does it again.

What am I doing wrong?

2. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

while it is welding, it welds beautifully. For what its worth.

3. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Is your tip clear and unobstructed? Are all the connections tight and free of corrosion?

4. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

brand new tip, and all connections are tight.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Spool grounding inside the welder? Wierd. Do you have rodents that eat wiring?

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Now that I re-read it, thinking some kind of grounding near the hose connection, after the feed.

7. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

the olny time any of the migs i have had did that the wire was touching something inside the welder. i didn't have all the parts for tension on the spool, and it would work loose.