Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody notice STREET RODDER is getting better taste?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

They came up with that name 57 years ago. No such thing as a street rod then and quite frankly not much need for it now. And yes, back then a lot of road cars could be competitively raced and a lot of race cars could be driven on the street. Now, there is no way any street driven car can compete realistically with a dedicated race car of the same caliber, unless you are talking about just racing road legal cars against each other of course.

So, as most of us know it today, a hot rod is streetable and a race car is almost always not. And a street rod is just a style of a hot rod. Race cars by nature are mostly all purpose, not style and are not limited by having to be driven on the street. That is why they invented the "for off road use only" crap. In the old days, you didn't have to worry about that.

Just like the word gay used to mean something a whole lot different 57 years ago than it does today.

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

There stealing cars from Hambers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ryan should get 9 percent and Ill take 1 percent .

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Fuck, this place is lame sometimes.

Name one popular magazine about cars that has not changed with the times. That's what car magazines do. That's why I love my magazine collection - I can watch styles change as the years progressed.

I love how so many people on here want to pretend they have been "traditional" since day one. I'm guessing many of you co-inveted it. I think it's far more likely that most of us realized something someone else was doing was cool and did it too.

Lame!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  4. That or Fabulously Happy?

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'm all for them changing to more something I like and have always liked. I know one thing for damn sure, I never liked what most of us would consider street rods. I grew up with muscles cars and that is mostly what I knew and then the 80's rolled in with the crap and continued into the 90's and early 2000's until finally that stuff has started to fade and personally damn glad to see it go.

So, no I didn't invent traditional hot rods by any stretch, but I sure knew "street rods" sucked and still do. Glad to see them go no matter what they are called.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Burp...there's a little more in there...

So am I right that now someone sucks for providing you what you like?

Yep, magazines are evil for providing up to date content (even if that content pleases you).

Jesus, there is officially no hope for this place. You guys just do not want to be happy.

...and I'm an idiot or a glutton for punishment (probably both) for jumping into another hopeless debate.

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

One guy, who I've know for over 50 years is named John Gay.
    Nobody thought anything about it until the 70s.

Of course that's not as bad as Greg Glasscock....the gym coach in high school called him "Brittledick".

there'd be one big-ass law suit today if a coach did that

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

I know a guy named Dick Eaton. Awesome guy, unfortunate name.

9. Went to school with a guy named Harry Boner. Nice guy.

SRM is doing a good job. That said, I buy very few anymore.

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'd advise everyone NOT to Google Image that name...

11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I have never been to a show where a hot rod has been denied entry. I have never read a magazine that would not feature a hot rod. I have never read a forum dedicated to street rods that would not tolerate a hot rod. I have never seen a street rodder refuse to stop and help a stranded hot rodder because he was driving a hot rod. And now this gem.

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Excellent.

13. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Francisco- Hot Rodders are all a bunch of problem solving, adventure seeking, wrench spinners- screw those guys- LOL!!! :)

I'm changing my name to- "Rockabilly Ratrod Ruler Neck Tattoo III". Should eliminate any question of residual gayness.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  14. HaHa, I worked for Reynolds Metals Company in the 90s and at that time, the CEO's name was Dick Holder – seriously! He signed his letter from the pres in the annual report that way every year. True story – look it up on the intertets. Oh, and he wasn't a gay street rodder despite his name.

Now, back to this thread topic – I agree with the OP – Street Rodder's content has changed more to my personal liking, and finally, in conclusion, the direction this thread has taken is stupid.

15. 65 impala

65 impala

lol ha aha hope their not to many gay hotrodders on here

16. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I know a guy named Roger Likesmen(not in the Biblical sense mind you).
    He likes street rods.

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I raced with a guy named Greg LongFellow. I told him "I would have my last name printed huge on the side of my car for sure"

18. what's in a name? call a turd gold and it's still a turd. the image of what the car is, is in your head.

19. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

i keep coming back to this thread to see how much worse it gets......

20. I'll be the devils advocate. For every issue of SRM I have (20 years worth or more)that has some ugly 70s job or Heartbeat graphic laden 80s car there HAS ALWAYS BEEN at least ONE good ol hot rod featured. They may not have been on the cover but they have ALWAYS been around. Timeless is timeless. I fell head over heels for this rad 32 Coupe from Austrailia when I was a kid on the pages of SRM. One night in the HAMB chat we were talking and I finally realized the car was owned by our own pal Whodaky! Here I was a decade or more later chatting halfway around the world with a pal that built and still owns a car I consider iconic!

And by the time we reached college, Harry Boner grew up to be a big biker dude! No pun intended. I don't think he got picked on at that point.

21. I don't know man, I think the "unfortunate name" posts are funny.:)

22. 067chevy

067chevy

I've been gettin it for a couple years now and always got something out of it. Whats with the roll bar in the 30 coupe in the last issue though?

23. GOD!

GOD!
    from Above

This is why I gave up on humans.

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

........... like trying not to look at a train wreck....

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Any body ever wish they were one of the moderators?

26. GOD!

GOD!
    from Above

Believe me, it's overrated.

27. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

you got me there i did laugh at a few.....:D

28. Trubble

Trubble
    from Kent Wash.

The car were very cool.I was most disappointed in the content of most of the write ups on the cars.The articales seamed week and repeditive.No meat....IMHO.

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

should have been written by Harry Boner

30. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

GOD!- do you really hate street rodders?

Also, why did you copy KIRKS! name?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.